Problem loading .223

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Problem loading .223

Post by samnev »

One other thing you might try. Sometimes brass after firing the case body gets swollen so that the case wont fit into the case length gauge. I've had that problem with range pickup brass. So this my not apply to you. But just incase put the end of the case into gauge end first. If the area around the case head is swollen the case wont go into the case very far. My 556 brass will go in about 0.8". Brand new brass slightly further.

Firewhenready7

Post by Firewhenready7 »

I can't imagine shooting a case several times without having to trim unless your only neck sizing..
pcmacd
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by pcmacd »

Suck My Glock wrote: April 13th, 2022, 11:43 pm
gunpoorboy1 wrote: April 13th, 2022, 11:14 pm So, after all lis said and done, if the round fits in the barrel, is it SAFE to shoot?
Yes and no.

Yes, if you will only be shooting that ammo in that gun. But if those loads somehow get into another gun,...no,...not safe,...or they might just not chamber in another gun.

Once upon a time, my Dad had a custom Mauser in .30-06 that had a real tight "match" chamber. The dimensions were the absolute minimum for the cartridge with ZERO slop anywhere. Factory ammo chambered just fine,...and if I loaded ammo for it using brass fired in that gun,...no problems. But when I tried using brass fired out of any other .30-06 weapon to load ammo and shoot in that Mauser, the rounds simply would NOT chamber. They had stretched just enough in whatever looser chambers they had been initially fired through that, despite full-length rezising in RCBS dies, that brass just was changed forever and would not chamber in that Mauser. At first I thought perhaps the problem was some of the brass had been fired in an M! Garand and needed a "small base" sizing die to squeeze that brass body just a tad more. But it didn't solve the issue. The shoulders on those cases had "grown" forward just enough from being fired in generously long chambers, and setting back the shoulder in resizing is not easy at all and requires quite a bit of force. Most cases never shorten back without buckling.

As a result, I had to segregate the .30-06 brass I had on hand to keep the stuff suitable for the Mauser from ever getting mixed the other general use brass.
I suspect that annealing the shoulders would have allowed any of that brass to be sized to fit the Mauser. There are a dozen easy ways to do this, but don't overheat the brass - it should never glow - and QUENCH it to stop the process.
bill460

Post by bill460 »

I've found out 2 things over the years, and thousands of rounds, that make reloading .223 / 5.56 MM easier in general.

1). ALWAYS use a Small Base Full Length Resizing die when resizing .223 / 5.56 MM. (Preferably carbide).

2). ALWAYS crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Do not seat and crimp with the roll crimp die that comes with the set.

A small base resizing die will resize to a slightly smaller size. And the Lee Factory Crimp Die uses collet fingers, that apply crimp with side pressure, not longitudinal pressure that can cause cases to bulge slightly, preventing chambering.

This will eliminate 2 of the biggest issues that can cause the problem you're having.

Another issue that can cause this is not sufficiently lubing the inside of the case necks. What happens is when the expander plug gets pulled through the case neck on the upstroke of the press, there is too much drag on it from lack of lubrication. This can cause the shoulder to pull out upward. This can cause the round to headspace wrong on the shoulder, and not chamber.
samnev

Post by samnev »

+1 on Lee Factory Crimp Die.
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

You need a trimmer. As a reloader it’s one of the first things you should get. I didn’t read where you said what you’re shooting these 223 out of. Bolt gun or semi.
If your brass is long it can cause pressure issues after it’s chambered. Cheapest option is to go on eBay and search Worlds cheapest trimmer. Pull the rounds apart you have and set the brass aside. But you should be measuring your brass. Feeling in the platform being used the brass could stretch enough to cause issues.
If it’s just work hardened and the shoulder is springing back after sizing, you need to anneal or scrap it.