Squib load, with Win. white box 40 S & W ammo.

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
rbking
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Squib load, with Win. white box 40 S & W ammo.

Post by rbking »

Dummy me, was shooting out in the desert. Wasn't paying attention, and you know what happened. Luckily was shooting it in a 1911. Although the barrel and muzzle bushing were bulged and split. Was able to dremel the barrel out from the inside, without screwing up the slide. New barrel and new bushing, and it ran OK.

I didn't have the original Win. box the ammo came in. So would have had a hard time proving their ammo was at fault. Be careful with the white box, (cheap), Win. ammo.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Squib load, with Win. white box 40 S & W ammo.

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Bummer. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse though. Do you have pictures of the barrel after it happened and of your extraction efforts?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

u are like ammo cursed, don't invite me to go shooting. lol
Rj
rbking

Post by rbking »

AZ_Five56 wrote: September 29th, 2021, 4:10 pm Bummer. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse though. Do you have pictures of the barrel after it happened and of your extraction efforts?

I have to dig up what's left of the barrel ( only 3" left), and the bushing and take pictures of them. What really got me was the amount of pressure generated, when the fired bullet hit the squib bullet in the barrel. In addition to splitting and bulging the barrel and bushing. The swagged on front sight was blown clear off the top of the slide. If it wasn't for what was left of the squib bullet sticking out of the end of the barrel. I would of thought it was a cartridge that had at least a triple load of powder.

Had a heck of a time opening the barrel up enough, to get it and the slide off the frame. Had to use special diamond coated drills that are used by hobbyists for lapidary work.