Brass Annealing

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
shawnff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Brass Annealing

Post by shawnff »

Just got into my first magnum cal 7mm rem mag and I am looking for someone to anneal a small quantity of brass from time to time for me. I will pay a fair price just want someone local.

azrednex
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Brass Annealing

Post by azrednex »

I'm just curious. Why wouldn't you do this yourself?
shawnff

Post by shawnff »

The tools are very expressive
azrednex

Post by azrednex »

I do it with a propane torch and a bowl of water.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

use a torch and a drill bit that is smaller than 7mm it will rotate at an even speed to heat equally its easy to do there is a youtube video
bwareaware

Post by bwareaware »

omegaman wrote: May 17th, 2018, 10:14 am use a torch and a drill bit that is smaller than 7mm it will rotate at an even speed to heat equally its easy to do there is a youtube video
This is how I do it, when it’s done tip it into a bowl of water.
shawnff

Post by shawnff »

how consistent is it? how do you know how long, and what temp you are heating the brass too??
azrednex

Post by azrednex »

I hold the primer end of the case in my hand. I rotate it with my fingers. When I feel heat at the case end I drop it into the water. I feel that this is fairly consistent. There are services on line that anneal small quantities (100 pcs) for around $25 if you want.
Flash

Post by Flash »

azrednex wrote: May 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm I do it with a propane torch and a bowl of water.
So do I.
shawnff

Post by shawnff »

azrednex wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:54 am I hold the primer end of the case in my hand. I rotate it with my fingers. When I feel heat at the case end I drop it into the water. I feel that this is fairly consistent. There are services on line that anneal small quantities (100 pcs) for around $25 if you want.
I know, I was looking for someone local I could pay
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

A goodwill cake pan, water, a Mapp gas torch. That's all I needed for annealing my brass.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I use a cordless drill and a socket that loosely fits the case. rotate slowly for about 3~6 sec in 2 propane burners. I found using one burner didn't do it right and one side usually got too hot while trying to get an even anneal so i went to 2 burners opposite each other and it really made a difference-use the pencil torch tip and their flames should touch/overlap. I don't even use water- just drop into an old ammo tin with a towel.

At first I used two temps of tempilaq- 750 and 450 IIRC to see how hot the shoulder & body areas were getting... until I got used to seeing the color change at the shoulder- you don't want to heat them 'red hot"- just look for the blue rainbow washing over the shoulder- it should look like LC or IMI or XM855 does when cooled. Doing it in a dimly lit garage also helps... practice on some junk brass first- its easy.
AzRednek

Post by AzRednek »

azrednex wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:54 am I hold the primer end of the case in my hand. I rotate it with my fingers. When I feel heat at the case end I drop it into the water. I feel that this is fairly consistent. There are services on line that anneal small quantities (100 pcs) for around $25 if you want.
That's similar to the way I did it. I used gloves sitting on my pool deck. As soon as I felt the heat I dipped it in the water. I've been shooting 7 Mag since the 70's and never annealed the brass. When it gets to where it needs it, it goes into my scrap pile. I've only annealed brass that was reformed, i.e. 7.7 Jap or 7.65 Argie from 30/06.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I have been involved with commercial loading and reloading for 20 years, I have never annealed any cases that were already formed, never. Just another way for someone to separate shooters from their money. Reforming a case you need to anneal, resize to original size, clean, anneal, resize to new dimensions, trim , clean, anneal. Not really any other need other than anal retentiveness unless reforming.

When we make new brass it is annealed multiple times, every draw is a wash, dry and anneal in a oven, induction annealing is the very last step. Brass is exposed to tons of pressure when we draw it, if you are not making new cases it is not needed.

Firing a case and resizing is not enough "working" of the brass to stress it to the point of needing stress relief. You guys are all being sold a bill of goods.

Our annealing processes are exact every time, the oven is a constant temp and it takes exactly the same time to travel through the oven every time. The induction annealing machine has a variable of +/- 2 degrees. Proper temperature is critical. You guys are really just wasting time and money.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

For you guys that do it have you actually noticed any benefits?