Brass Annealing

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Brass Annealing

Post by Flash »

Yes, the case necks don't split as soon as if you don't, so you get a few more reloads per case.

theflatline

Post by theflatline »

I have a giruad case annealer. PM me if you want to work something out. I anneal many case types to save the case necks for splitting.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Whether or not it actually provides benefits is definitely a matter of opinion. I suggest doing a google search and read the various articles on annealing. I think German Salazar Ken Howell and others have produced authoritative and technically detailed papers of the subject.

I usually only do it for 223, 243 and 308, and I think I get more re-loads between split necks and more uniform neck tension, but I don't actually know as I have never made an exact count. I never do it for pistol rounds. I think there are benefits to doing it for selected calibers, mainly varmint or target shooting where precision is more important.

It's easy to do on a low budget and only has to be done every so often that it doesn't impact my routine much and I have the peace of mind that if it does help then I'm covered. I agree the high dollar automated machines are nice but but are more for the person with money to burn than necessity.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I have only been reloading for a few years and have not annealed the brass. The person that had taught me did not anneal either as far as I know. (Not that this is the "correct" way).
How often would you anneal a case, after a certain number of times? or at each reloading?
shawnff

Post by shawnff »

I have been loading for years and have never annealed cases, but I am getting into the long range game and the more I read and understand when hitting targets out to 1000 yards it can make a difference in neck tension uniformity from case to case.
G34

Post by G34 »

338lapua wrote: July 18th, 2018, 12:32 am I have been involved with commercial loading and reloading for 20 years, I have never annealed any cases that were already formed, never. Just another way for someone to separate shooters from their money. Reforming a case you need to anneal, resize to original size, clean, anneal, resize to new dimensions, trim , clean, anneal. Not really any other need other than anal retentiveness unless reforming.

When we make new brass it is annealed multiple times, every draw is a wash, dry and anneal in a oven, induction annealing is the very last step. Brass is exposed to tons of pressure when we draw it, if you are not making new cases it is not needed.

Firing a case and resizing is not enough "working" of the brass to stress it to the point of needing stress relief. You guys are all being sold a bill of goods.

Our annealing processes are exact every time, the oven is a constant temp and it takes exactly the same time to travel through the oven every time. The induction annealing machine has a variable of +/- 2 degrees. Proper temperature is critical. You guys are really just wasting time and money.
theres a difference between commercial and Precision.

For precision loading yes it can and will make a difference over time. will it pay for the cost of a Giruard, maybe. If anyone needs this service done i can do it. let me know. I run a Giruard Annealing machine
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

"338lapua wrote: ↑July 18th, 2018, 12:32 am
I have been involved with commercial loading and reloading for 20 years, I have never annealed any cases that were already formed, never. Just another way for someone to separate shooters from their money. Reforming a case you need to anneal, resize to original size, clean, anneal, resize to new dimensions, trim , clean, anneal. Not really any other need other than anal retentiveness unless reforming.

When we make new brass it is annealed multiple times, every draw is a wash, dry and anneal in a oven, induction annealing is the very last step. Brass is exposed to tons of pressure when we draw it, if you are not making new cases it is not needed.

Firing a case and resizing is not enough "working" of the brass to stress it to the point of needing stress relief. You guys are all being sold a bill of goods.

Our annealing processes are exact every time, the oven is a constant temp and it takes exactly the same time to travel through the oven every time. The induction annealing machine has a variable of +/- 2 degrees. Proper temperature is critical. You guys are really just wasting time and money."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no actual educated real life facts about annealing,... NONE!

But, what I do have, as facts, is,... I have been reloading the SAME 30-06sprg, 308win, 44mag, 38spl, 223rem, marlin444, 45colt, 45acp, brass cases FOR MANY YEARS without any signs of brittleness/failure,.. other than for less than a dozen Hornady 444 cases that started splitting at the mouth. Which could be caused by a few failures on Hornady's part!

One point I should relay, is, I am not your normal shooter,... mostly, I only shoot a couple hundred, at MAX, of each caliber per year, with 223rem and 45 acp being the exception,... which may have influence on my case longevity.

Sooo, I have to go along with what 338Lapua has posted,... until I learn differently!
Last edited by shooter444 on May 15th, 2019, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
G34

Post by G34 »

Do you own a chronograph? Or run out gauge? Or comparator set by chance?

Straight walls won’t need it by the way. If it’s a light load you may not feel the effects of worked brass. Everything I run is hot
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Yes, I have a chronograph. For bottlenecks, I only run 223rem at max.

I loaded all my 223rem at 3,700 + FPS,... in the past,... but, now, with a 24 inch build, I get a little over 4,000 FPS, from that same 3,700 + FPS loading I got from my 16 inch carbine.

I have 223 rem brass that the base stamps are worn enough from tumbling, that they have lost their sharp edge and some from fifteen years ago, that the stamps are noticeably more shallow.
G34

Post by G34 »

What bullet?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

36 grain Barnes ,... what's with all the questions?
G34

Post by G34 »

Its a forum is it not? Questions and discussions
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Yes it is, you are correct,... so answer my damn question, like I answered your's !!!
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

COPY OF PM

Sent: Yesterday, 3:09 pm
by G34

which question? i must have missed it
Last edited by shooter444 on February 22nd, 2019, 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

COPY OF PM

Sent: Yesterday, 4:04 pm
by shooter444

I asked,... "what's with all the questions?"
Last edited by shooter444 on February 22nd, 2019, 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.