Coated bullet test and discount

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Coated bullet test and discount

Post by delta6 »

Bullet testing and discount offer. Be sure to see the discount offer from Summit City Bullets at the end of this post.

Recently knockonit and I have been working with Tony Nelson of Summit City Bullets (https://summitcitybullets.com). We were having problems getting coated bullets from a couple of different manufacturers due to either quality issues or their ability to consistently deliver.

For the past last 2 months we have been testing Summit’s 9MM-115 grain bullets and have had great results. Since most of us are just casual range shooters our testing only encompassed appearance of the bullet, ease of reloading, functioning in various firearms and range ammo accuracy. All the bullets performed as would be expected and outperformed or equaled the 5 other bullet manufacturers, (4 coated and 1 plated) to a varying degree. Summit uses HiTek coating and Summit’s coating appears to be more even and “slicker” than the others we tested. How slick? You can see the results in the velocity increase over the other manufacturers.

Bullet weights were consistent, velocity averages were somewhat better and the range accuracy was as good as any other brand we have tested in the past. We tested our reloaded 9MM Summit bullets in seven different 9MM pistols (and one PCC). Used in the testing were a SIG X5, SIG M17, Glock 17, S&W Shield, SA XDM 5.25, SA XDM Elite, Taurus G3 and a Colt PCC.

The ammunition was loaded on a Dillon 550. Primers were WSP and the powder used was WW231. The charge was 4.6 grains, as we have found in the past this is a good midrange load. All brass was mixed range brass. Seating depth was a nominal 1.1111. (some Taurus’s can have a chambering problem past 1.12 with some bullet profiles.) The target was placed at 15 yards. The average group size was 1-1 1/2”, with ½” being the smallest (SIG X5 with RDS) and 1.75” the largest (Glock 17 with open sights). You young guys with newer eye’s, probably would get better results.
Table as pic.jpg
DISCLAIMER:
Knockonit nor I have any monetary, rebate or free product agreement with Summit Bullets. We do not receive a discount from Summit Bullets other than what is listed on their website. This review is for informational purposes and offering a trial discount on bullet purchases for AZ shooters to evaluate Summit City’s product quality, pricing and delivery.

As mentioned above Summit Bullets (https://summitcitybullets.com) has offered AZ shooters a 7% discount on orders place between 9/17/2021 and 10/02/2021. When placing your order use the discount code “AZ2AMEND”.

High Standard

Re: Coated bullet test and discount

Post by High Standard »

Thanks for posting your test results. I nerd out on stuff like this.

I have only tested one brand of coated bullets in 9mm. I won’t mention the brand. I had pretty good luck with them. One test I might suggest if you happen to have a 9mm revolver is watching for bullet creep while being fired out of a revolver. Since there is no crimp ring and a taper crimp is used I had a hard time keeping the bullets from creeping out during firing. Usually only the last and maybe second to the last round were effected. I have not had this problem with plated and jacketed bullets since a little tighter crimp can be placed on that type of bullet. I did try to tighten the crimp and only served to deform the bullet. So I could only apply a certain amount of crimp before deformation. This could be due partly or completely to how soft the lead core is. I am not sure. So if you happen to have a 9mm revolver it might be interesting if you could test for bullet creep. BTW, I checked for creep with my semi autos and none occurred.

Based on this I will purchase some bullets from Summit and will do my own ad hoc testing. Thanks again!
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

High Standard wrote: September 15th, 2021, 5:41 pm Thanks for posting your test results. I nerd out on stuff like this.

I have only tested one brand of coated bullets in 9mm. I won’t mention the brand. I had pretty good luck with them. One test I might suggest if you happen to have a 9mm revolver is watching for bullet creep while being fired out of a revolver. Since there is no crimp ring and a taper crimp is used I had a hard time keeping the bullets from creeping out during firing. Usually only the last and maybe second to the last round were effected. I have not had this problem with plated and jacketed bullets since a little tighter crimp can be placed on that type of bullet. I did try to tighten the crimp and only served to deform the bullet. So I could only apply a certain amount of crimp before deformation. This could be due partly or completely to how soft the lead core is. I am not sure. So if you happen to have a 9mm revolver it might be interesting if you could test for bullet creep. BTW, I checked for creep with my semi autos and none occurred.

Based on this I will purchase some bullets from Summit and will do my own ad hoc testing. Thanks again!

These guys do a lot, and I mean a lot of research on this stuff, and sadly, I'm bored by most it. Even when we go out and shoot, I'm the jackass that holds the AK over my head and screams "Wolverines" :mrgreen: I'm happy to know this sort of thing is beneficial to you.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
delta6

Post by delta6 »

High Standard wrote: September 15th, 2021, 5:41 pm Thanks for posting your test results. I nerd out on stuff like this.

High Standard:
There are a number of good coated bullet manufacturers. In fact one of them is a good friend and one of the reasons we did not post names of the other bullets tested. Quality and delivery problems became an issue so we looked for and found Tony at Summit. We have also tested Summit's 38-158 grain and their 45-230 grain bullets (tested them along side the 9MM). We have not shot any of Summits 9MM-115 grain bullets out of a revolver (yet), but have shot their 230 grain 45ACP bullets out of a S&W 625 and had no problems with bullet creep. Knockonit has a 9MM Taurus snubbie, but it hurts to shoot it (ugh). Hopefully we will have a S&W 986 in the future and then we will post the results.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the help and information.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

delta6 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:05 pm
High Standard:
There are a number of good coated bullet manufacturers. In fact one of them is a good friend and one of the reasons we did not post names of the other bullets tested. Quality and delivery problems became an issue so we looked for and found Tony at Summit. We have also tested Summit's 38-158 grain and their 45-230 grain bullets (tested them along side the 9MM). We have not shot any of Summits 9MM-115 grain bullets out of a revolver (yet), but have shot their 230 grain 45ACP bullets out of a S&W 625 and had no problems with bullet creep. Knockonit has a 9MM Taurus snubbie, but it hurts to shoot it (ugh). Hopefully we will have a S&W 986 in the future and then we will post the results.
Thanks for all the info!!! I don’t own a 45 auto pistol so I don’t load 45-230 for my S&W 25. I found coated 250gr SWC with a nice crimp groove groups better. I also use this same bullet for 45 Colt. I think I will order some 124gr 9mm from Summit to try. I am currently just now starting to practice holster training. And the remainder of my coated bullet reloads from the other company is what I am using to practice with. I am getting low so now will be a good time to stock in some boolits. I will retry the crimp and bullet creep test with the Summit bullets.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

shot about 300 of these this am, along with acme and some dg bullets, probably around 700 rds total, all ran like a sewing machine on silk, of course all reloads, all same powder and weight, so was and am real happy, only 9mm and 158 gr 38 spl today, the 75 yd gong got a work out by all today, love me some revolver action today.

liked the summits so much ordered next years shoot bullets in 9 from them
Rj
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Great piece of info Delta & Knock
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Got some 9mm incoming. Thanks guys!
delta6

Post by delta6 »

knockonit wrote: September 16th, 2021, 10:42 am shot about 300 of these this am, along with acme and some dg bullets, probably around 700 rds total, all ran like a sewing machine on silk, of course all reloads, all same powder and weight, so was and am real happy, only 9mm and 158 gr 38 spl today, the 75 yd gong got a work out by all today, love me some revolver action today.

liked the summits so much ordered next years shoot bullets in 9 from them
Rj
And here is "knock" workin' out the gong..... :lol:
20210916_082032_ number 2.jpg
20210916_082032_ number 2.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

aw ya caught me in between reloads, fellas gotta relax after banging the gong for an hour, good times today, good company, glad we packed up when we did. did warm up fast.
wont' be long all day shoots will be in.
Rj
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Yep.. timing was good.. fun time by all
As much as I really..really hate to admit it..shiat..ugh..
You were banging that gong pretty consistently.. even at 75 yards..
Can't believe I posted this.. must b drunk 🥴
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Well to add to the information, last week i shot approximately 300 38 spl. and about 400 9mm, just cause is was curious, i actually cleaned gats prior to shooting, as i wanted to see about barrel cleanliness on shooting these coated rounds.

i'd have say there was a difference between these and one other coated i use. I'd say, these actually were a tad cleaner, as pulling swabs, i d kept count and was pleasantly surprised i did not have to spend a gaggle of time on barrel cleaning, usual powder cleaning on revolvers , no difference there, as i'm not a cleaner so to speak they only get the swab when they quit working :o :lol: :oops:

and they sure are purdae

Rj
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I received my 1,000 9mm from Summit. I will note that their coating isn’t perfect, but they are much better than what I have been getting from DG and ACME lately. I decided to load them light as I am using them for holster practice and I was not concerned with accuracy. But I have to say these boolits shoot! They show very good accuracy and cycle well. I have not had a failure to feed or any feeding problems with them. I have been very happy with them.

I liked the 9mm so much I decided to order 2k 158gr 38/357. The following day after my order they refunded 25% of my total with no explanation. So I contacted their CS and they told me they only had 1,500 and not 2,000. So they sent me the 1,500 and refunded me for 500. I got them the other day and the coating looks very good on these. If they shoot as good or better than the DG and ACME boolits I will be placing more orders.

I want to say that being a repeat customer meant I got 5% off my order. And I just happened to visit them when they were having a Christmas sale. So I got another 10 percent off the price. Their CS answers emails quickly there is no BS with these people. They want your business and I have to say I will give them more of my business in the future.