Will 7.62 x39 Ammo be banned?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
HubertMWilder
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Will 7.62 x39 Ammo be banned?

Post by HubertMWilder »

If 7.62 x39 Ammo will be banned what will be the alternate if that will banned?
Last edited by HubertMWilder on December 17th, 2023, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manitu
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Will 7.62 x39 Ammo be banned?

Post by Manitu »

Get brass now reload later, other countries may rebox wolf and ship here? Reloading is only choice for many American made 7.62 x 39 was pretty pricey compared just about everywhere else importing it. My dog once caught a bunny next to the a.c. and checked there every day until she died, so yeah Im going to look for online materials which like the bunny was once in a blue moon.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I am very disappointed that someone like PPU (Zastava) doesn't import a boxer-primed 5.45x39 round. By now, there could have been years of brass piling up to use to reload for that round. Hornady has their excellent 60 grain V-Max projectile for it. Heck, if I had the funds to do it, I'd contract with PPU right now to start importing it.

Regardless of whether you reload 7.62 or 5.45, the first issue you'll need to address is preventing the damage of the brass by the top cover (followed closely by finding all that far-flung brass). 223 caliber AKs are particularly known for badly dinging ejected brass, and folks have devised ways to prevent that, such as the AK rubber snubber.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

HubertMWilder wrote: August 26th, 2021, 11:33 pm If 7.62 x39 Ammo will be banned what will be the alternate if that will banned?
No. Don't be a silly bot.

It just won't be imported from Russia any time soon. It can still be imported from the other 7 countries that make it.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.sgammo.com/bulk-ammo-stock- ... on-opinion
My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Look at it on the bright side - Now that they won't be as cheap to feed, the price of commie caliber firearms will come down.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

And those .223 caliber AK's that i thought were stupid will now be cool.....