coated boolits

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: coated boolits

Post by Boriqua »

was21 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:58 am Got a notice from DG bullets on 7/18 that they got a bad batch of HiTech coating and have stopped production until they get things resolved.
Summers bullets also went offline for same I think.

Tried some Gallant 30 cal for the blackout.... what dismal stuff... cold pours with seams and voids.... best part was they miked out at .3125 to .313 (advertised at .310)and wouldn’t chamber.
Oh man that sucks. I am pretty ell covered for the near future but .. they are my go to for coated so I hope they are back up and running again soon. I also feel for any business that has to say no to orders due to a snafu

was21

Post by was21 »

Happening across the entire industry any time there is frenzy....
AR parts, ammo , complete weapons and components.
Between suppliers trying to push parts out the door and new startups trying to get into the money feed trough, QC takes a hit.
Packer
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Packer »

You may want to try Bear Creek Supply, bearcreeksupplybullets.com. Their bullets are moly coated and normally stocked most used weight and calibers. Prices are best I've found and have used them for years. I doubt you will be disappointed.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

So second round of testing these new vendor HI tech coated boolits, and things are looking up, just trying to find a load that will put them on target, have accuracy, and not beat one up, tested so far are: .45 acp 230 gr, .38spl, 158 gr, and 9mm. 115 gr. all at present are keepers, did order up additional 12k of the 9mm, which we received and expect the other 12k pretty quickly, most likely will put in an order for the .38 spl and a gaggle of the .45, one cant have too many laying around, .....................can you.
once all testing is complete will share info, and see how it goes :lol: :o :dance:

rj
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

UPDATE:

I had said I'd share my data on the 147 grn. 9mm RN Blue Bullets, and forgot to do so. So here it is;....

Loaded to 1.17 OAL, 3.4 grains of Ramshot ZIP over a CCI Standard small pistol primer. Produced 935 fps in the Glock 19, and 1015 fps in the Sten. The coating makes them slicker in the bore than plain cast with traditional lube, because I started out using 3.9 grains, which produced a screaming 1050 fps in the G19 and 1125 fps in the Sten. Since I was trying to get subsonic velocities for use with suppressors, I ended up dialing that back.

Everything went well. Accuracy was fine, no perceptable smoke.

My only complaint is that the coating does comes off on your hands when you handle them for an extended period. My fingers got micro infusing of blue particles on them during the loading session. It washed off easily, though.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, i did some older coated ''billys bullets'' some time ago, me fingers were black, and while it came off with a little dawn, i was surprised, dont remember any of his older batches doing that,
oh well. me likey coated for sure, easy peasy
rj
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

Another vote for Brazos Precision. I have been very pleased with their 380 bullets.
Flash

Post by Flash »

knockonit wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:54 pm lol, i did some older coated ''billys bullets'' some time ago, me fingers were black, and while it came off with a little dawn, i was surprised, dont remember any of his older batches doing that,
oh well. me likey coated for sure, easy peasy
rj
Billy Lagusis (sp?) sold the company to another guy quite a long time ago so that might explain it.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Been happy with all the coated bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, use them in .32 S&W and .45. Still have some of the old copper plated from BHSS for 9mm, so haven't tried them in coated. Good people, fair prices and quick shipping.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Boriqua wrote: July 26th, 2021, 9:15 am I'm pretty sure 4.6 of 231/hp38 is listed at hodgon as 38+p. I was making all of my 38's at about 4.5 but then got tired of rolling one set for me and one for the wife so now I stick to around 3.5.

It really is a cream puff but I have only tried it at about 50 yds so can't talk to 100. It was dinging the steel which I think was about 8" round so I won't say I know how accurate it is as I wasn't bullseye shooting
For years, my go to load in .38 with 158gr lead has been 4.1 of 231. Same cc as 3.5 of Bullseye. Good load that has, for me, filled all the needs in this caliber. YMMV
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

For the past several years I have been shooting Bayou Bullets. Hi-tek coating.

Bayou and Missouri are usually within a few bucks, depending on quantity, so I generally shop both.

I'm not happy that most vendors have switched from the classic H&G68 to a similar mold without the wax grove. The grooved bullets shoot slightly better.