coated boolits

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

coated boolits

Post by knockonit »

So who shoots whos' boolits, so far have loaded and shot the following, testing most for accuracy, fps, ect. ease of reloading, whether units are really dirty (barrel, ect)

an old one"billys boolits"
acme the "lipstick"
Gallant
blue bullets
hi tech

there is a couple more, but with the last year and a half a few are not responding, so they may be outta the biz or...........i'll dig up the brand and add later
And have also tested our own cast boolits, lead cast to 16 grin hardness, excellent boolit

have a new one on testing table, so far the high tech coating has increased fps over other same loads and weight of boolit and same gat, as much as 220 +, so gonna load some more and give it another go. Just to confirm the smoke we were inhaling didn't create nirvana :whistle:
usual test is about 5 rounds out of at least 5 different gats, including barrel length and one carbine length rifle.
revolvers the same, heavy, light, from 3 to 6 inch.

Units all tested presently:
.45 acp
9mm: 115 gr, this is a favorite sub gun round and gat round for me and some others
.38 spl, 158 rn

i also have some 10mm on the bench, which should be in next batch to test.

most brass used is shot at least once, typically a cci primer or tula, what ever pops up in rotation.

goal for us (group of shooters) is to minimize gat damage by reasonable loads and still have accuracy at a proposed distance, and make sure they run the subs.

yeehaw, been fun testing loads, boolits, and putting holes in paper, looking forward to another run out this week.
will advise of results of next test, as this may result in some decent deals on coated boolits

what do you shoot, and whose coated units.
thanks
Rj

High Standard

Re: coated boolits

Post by High Standard »

knockonit wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:14 am So who shoots whos' boolits, so far have loaded and shot the following, testing most for accuracy, fps, ect. ease of reloading, whether units are really dirty (barrel, ect)

an old one"billys boolits"
acme the "lipstick"
Gallant
blue bullets
hi tech

there is a couple more, but with the last year and a half a few are not responding, so they may be outta the biz or...........i'll dig up the brand and add later
And have also tested our own cast boolits, lead cast to 16 grin hardness, excellent boolit

have a new one on testing table, so far the high tech coating has increased fps over other same loads and weight of boolit and same gat, as much as 220 +, so gonna load some more and give it another go. Just to confirm the smoke we were inhaling didn't create nirvana :whistle:
usual test is about 5 rounds out of at least 5 different gats, including barrel length and one carbine length rifle.
revolvers the same, heavy, light, from 3 to 6 inch.

Units all tested presently:
.45 acp
9mm: 115 gr, this is a favorite sub gun round and gat round for me and some others
.38 spl, 158 rn

i also have some 10mm on the bench, which should be in next batch to test.

most brass used is shot at least once, typically a cci primer or tula, what ever pops up in rotation.

goal for us (group of shooters) is to minimize gat damage by reasonable loads and still have accuracy at a proposed distance, and make sure they run the subs.

yeehaw, been fun testing loads, boolits, and putting holes in paper, looking forward to another run out this week.
will advise of results of next test, as this may result in some decent deals on coated boolits

what do you shoot, and whose coated units.
thanks
Rj
I’ve stuck with ACME and DG coated boolits. When I find something that works well I tend to stick with them. But I have just started testing my own coated boolits. So far I am not happy with my own powder coating results. But I am happy with how they shoot. So I am a little torn.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

years ago Leadman (mark) shared info when we were casting our own boolits, he was all over the coating scene, and most of his info can be found on cast boolit site, he imo was quite the pioneer, using just about every coating on market, and had excellent results and some ugly failures, as noted, most likely cast boolits has the thread still there.

we as a group are big fans of the coated scene, and keep testing and using the sensible value units, that WORK.
thanks for info
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

RJ you turned me on to DG bullets a few years ago and have been using them ever since. Always get nice bullets that reload easily and best part .. even through the whole drought I would order from them and have bullets in a week and their quick ship selection makes it easy. Just got a load of .40/10mm and 158 grain for the 38/357

https://dgbullets.com/
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Thanks for the info. I’ll start looking around for it. I’m a bit if a perfectionist so if I have an area missing some coating I am not satisfied. No matter how small.

I forgot to tell you which boolits I am using. I am using the 158gr 357/38 SWC and the 250gr 452 SWC from both ACME and DG. I have tried loads ranging from bunny farts with Trail Boss, and light to medium 357 loads using Unique. I have not tried any barn burners with coated yet. I still have plenty jacketed I use for those. So far I am very happy with the results I am getting. In my Model 25 I am loading the 250gr 452 SWC from bunny farts to upper 45ACP range. Been very happy with both ACME and DG as well.

Also, I am still experimenting with coated 115gr 9mm from DG and soon my own. Soon I’ll start casting 148gr 38 WC I also use as target loads.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, yeah i wasn't on top of my game and loaded some coated 158 rn, with 4.6 of winchester 231 (357 load), yeehaw, hand stinger ,and boy howdy they went quick, accuracy was excellent if i remember right, but was a little more painful than i like to shoot all day.
the 3.2 of w/231 was so much nicer, accuracy was there ,and speed was palatable, best part, nice clean gat after fact.

will advise
gonna load some this week with unique and see wtfudge, down the powder and see if the fps is real we tested.
happy sunday
Rj
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

knockonit wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:52 am lol, yeah i wasn't on top of my game and loaded some coated 158 rn, with 4.6 of winchester 231 (357 load), yeehaw, hand stinger ,and boy howdy they went quick, accuracy was excellent if i remember right, but was a little more painful than i like to shoot all day.
the 3.2 of w/231 was so much nicer, accuracy was there ,and speed was palatable, best part, nice clean gat after fact.

will advise
gonna load some this week with unique and see wtfudge, down the powder and see if the fps is real we tested.
happy sunday
Rj
I'm really suprised the 4.6 W231 load was too stout unless you have arthritis. It should be in the 1050fps range, depending on barrel length.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I ordered 3000 147 grain 9mm RN from Blue Bullets at the beginning of this year, back in February. I had never used them before, but heard excellent reviews from a lot of competitors back east. Unfortunately, not many producers here in the west were responding or even had anything in stock. It took 4 months for my order to arrive. I haven't gotten around to loading them up yet but will be soon, and hope for good results, which I'll be happy to share.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Jack Dupp wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:14 am
knockonit wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:52 am lol, yeah i wasn't on top of my game and loaded some coated 158 rn, with 4.6 of winchester 231 (357 load), yeehaw, hand stinger ,and boy howdy they went quick, accuracy was excellent if i remember right, but was a little more painful than i like to shoot all day.

will advise
happy sunday
Rj
I'm really suprised the 4.6 W231 load was too stout unless you have arthritis. It should be in the 1050fps range, depending on barrel length.

yeah, it is if used to a minor thumper, don't go for supercharged, just need to get to hundy yards and hit point of aim, and i'm good.
hehe, slow is fast, and i'm thinking not sure that the max for w231 for 38spl is like 4.8 , 5.0 have to go look and my feet are up on a stool, and not inclined to do so, will later and see wtfudge

happy days
and yeah im a weenie
Rj
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I cast and coat my own pistol and rifle bullets mostly but I have used ACME in the past and recently tried out DG bullets for some 9mm and .40 bullets and really like them.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I'm pretty sure 4.6 of 231/hp38 is listed at hodgon as 38+p. I was making all of my 38's at about 4.5 but then got tired of rolling one set for me and one for the wife so now I stick to around 3.5.

It really is a cream puff but I have only tried it at about 50 yds so can't talk to 100. It was dinging the steel which I think was about 8" round so I won't say I know how accurate it is as I wasn't bullseye shooting
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yeah, i was using the 4.6 or so for .357 at one time, and powder drop didn't get squared away, until i had loaded 50 or so.
oh well could have been worse. one of those things, happens, just good to catch it.

need to load some 10mm, prepped cases (just cleaned in and sorted) have projos, so gonna come up with a halfway decent load to not be painful, but effective
happy days
Rj
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

I have had good luck with Brazos precision. https://www.brazosprecision.com/

There are very cost effective too.
was21

Post by was21 »

Got a notice from DG bullets on 7/18 that they got a bad batch of HiTech coating and have stopped production until they get things resolved.
Summers bullets also went offline for same I think.

Tried some Gallant 30 cal for the blackout.... what dismal stuff... cold pours with seams and voids.... best part was they miked out at .3125 to .313 (advertised at .310)and wouldn’t chamber.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well not isn't that unfortunate, but to be expected, with the volumn they have all been putting out, something had to eventually suffer, and its usually quality control.

have to save, shoot thousands of each noted makers boolits, and nary an issue to date (knock on wood)