Wish I would have known...UPDATED AND FIXED!!

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Jack Dupp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Wish I would have known...

Post by Jack Dupp »

That cartridge sitting in the barrel chamber actually looks pretty good to me. It's not going to sit flush like with the case gauge.

getsum

Post by getsum »

Nope...bolt won't fully close and I have to beat the stock on the floor to eject the round. But I have a plan from here.
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

You will be fine once you start using the case gauge. You really don't need SB die. Just resize a case and drop it in the case gauge. Once it is flush (or I prefer just a hair under the edge of the case gauge) you will be golden. I have about 1000 rounds I loaded before my case gauge and they work fine in my generic mil spec upper. But when I got a Ruger MPR with a tighter chamber, none of them will work.

Also, you may be turning down the die even after you hit the shell plate. Don't worry about it. Most likely it will require less then one full turn of the die and it will not hurt anything.

HTH.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

getsum wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:28 pm Update: Just got a case gauge today and tested a reload, matter of fact I tested several and they all passed, image 1. Then I conducted a Plunk Test...all failed miserably much like cjr had stated...image 2. The rifle barrel is a 5.56mm chamber.

Next step is to yank the projo, resize brass in SB die, and retest.

Will certainly post results
I’ll ask again... have you taken the time to figure out what part of the cartridge is causing the issue? All it takes is a sharpie.
getsum

Re: Wish I would have known...UPDATED AND FIXED!!

Post by getsum »

I've been reloading for over 40yrs but this was a new experience for me and with the help of a friend the solution has been found.

From now on I will only use JP case gauges...what fit fine in the Lyman did not fit in the JP. We took the loaded rounds apart. Resized the case in the SB die, dropped it in the JP case gauge and it was perfect. Reassembled the round, double checked in the case gauge and conducted the Plunk test in my rifle...perfect again.

If something different works for you...that's great. But this is what worked for me and I'm a firm believer in this process when it comes to reloading for my AR's.

A huge thanks to cjr...his remedy was the cure.