Anybody here have problems with steel cased Russkie ammo

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
1bardan+
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Anybody here have problems with steel cased Russkie ammo

Post by 1bardan+ »

Broken or worn bolt, extractor or chipped aluminum receiver parts.

What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Anybody here have problems with steel cased Russkie ammo

Post by What »

Tula brand.

For my AR10 and .308 Savage(bolt action). Stuck in chamber after firing one shot each. Manually extract them out.

I've shot these in 9mm carbine or AR15s without issue though. As well as some handguns.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Personally I have never used steel cased ammo of any kind so I can't really comment on it , but.

There is another thread going on about the Extar EP9 and I was intrigued so I read what the makers say about it.
This is what they say about what ammo they recommend in their gun.

" Tula Steel Cased ammo through genuine Glock magazines, we recommend highly."
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A friend blew up his Thompson 1927 with Wolf. Bullet never made out the muzzle and 3 more jammed in behind it before the barrel split.
Ballistic Therapy

OK , I give.
What is " Ew " supposed to mean ?
Ballistic Therapy

AZ1182 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:15 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm OK , I give.
Gross. Disgusting. It means that they chose one of the weakest and inconsistent ammo maker's munitions because most likely, because anything more or at SAAMI spec would over time damage the gun or making it unreliable.
I thought Ew was supposed to be an abbreviation or something.

As far as the ammo goes ,you might have something there.
They also did say not to use +P ammo.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

AZ1182 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:15 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm OK , I give.
Gross. Disgusting. It means that they chose one of the weakest and inconsistent ammo maker's munitions because most likely, because anything more or at SAAMI spec would over time damage the gun or making it unreliable.
I have one of these and just ran some tula through it, not thoroughly impressed. Very inconsistent with obvious low powder charges. Only 1 stove pipe in 300rds or so but everything went bang. I did worry about squibs and was using caution on rate of fire just in case. I had just had to dig on out of a friends shield a couple weeks prior(not tula but off name brass cased round). Quality brass cased ammo ran awesome through the EP9 however.

I will more then likely switch to wolf or stick to brass. The EP9 does not seem to have issues with brass cased or regular commercial ammo. Just no +P. or aluminum cases. Have a friend that has shoot thousands of rounds through one without any issues or excessive wear from quality commercial ammo. But its a range toy and hella fun. Its not a self defense tool I need to rely on so I can deal with the occasional shitty round.

So to answer the steel cased question in my experience wolf has worked well when on rare occasion Ive used it. I Believe it to be slightly harder on equipment just with it being a harder case over brass but I have had no ill effects from using it on occasion but I wouldn't want to make it a main diet for my rifles.
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

All these squib miss fires. That says something about QC on this stuff. My issue is I just saw my second worn off extractor claw on 2 different guns. I know this stuff works on AKs but now I'm thinking no more steel in non AKs.

And If you have a daughter you know what EW is.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

I have put a bit of surplus 5.45 through a couple ARs and haven't seen any issues but I'm not talking about thousands and thousands of rounds either. Though one upper I got used and have no idea where it stood when I got it. At 10 cents a round I imagine a little extra damage, if there even is any, is a small price to pay. (Yes, I know it's not 10 cents any more.)
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

AZ1182 wrote: March 17th, 2021, 2:52 pm
rockbronco wrote: March 17th, 2021, 8:43 am
AZ1182 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:15 pm Gross. Disgusting. It means that they chose one of the weakest and inconsistent ammo maker's munitions because most likely, because anything more or at SAAMI spec would over time damage the gun or making it unreliable.
I have one of these and just ran some tula through it, not thoroughly impressed. Very inconsistent with obvious low powder charges. Only 1 stove pipe in 300rds or so but everything went bang. I did worry about squibs and was using caution on rate of fire just in case. I had just had to dig on out of a friends shield a couple weeks prior(not tula but off name brass cased round). Quality brass cased ammo ran awesome through the EP9 however.

I will more then likely switch to wolf or stick to brass. The EP9 does not seem to have issues with brass cased or regular commercial ammo. Just no +P. or aluminum cases. Have a friend that has shoot thousands of rounds through one without any issues or excessive wear from quality commercial ammo. But its a range toy and hella fun. Its not a self defense tool I need to rely on so I can deal with the occasional shitty round.

So to answer the steel cased question in my experience wolf has worked well when on rare occasion Ive used it. I Believe it to be slightly harder on equipment just with it being a harder case over brass but I have had no ill effects from using it on occasion but I wouldn't want to make it a main diet for my rifles.
Something about the aluminum cased ammo, it doesn't take much for it to set itself back. I found that out a few times after driving to or from the forest. Went to load some mags and was miffed that my 9x19 new pronoun was now 9mm Nuclear, and my .45 ACP range fodder changed it's name to .45 Super-Super Major. Everything got pulled and what was left back home was traded for either brass cased Magtech or steel cased Brown Bear.

I have no intentions of ever getting that EP9, never did before and most certainly will not now. But I just wanted to point out that the bulk of my 9x19 is Winchester 9mm NATO which is warmer than standard 9x19 SAAMI. My G17, VP9, and Sig 320C all shoot like lasers using 9mm NATO. Any gun that can't handle it cannot be in my collection.
Fair observation but I wouldn’t discredit it off that one assumption. Either way lots of things I don’t like to add to my collection either for one reason or the other. For me I love it for my purpose.

Speaking of the Winchester nato stuff that is some fine shooting ammo. My pistols love it but it’s not my main diet. Steel case is not a main diet on my stuff either. Honestly only reason I’m shooting up the Tula is I had it, I typically always stick to brass stuff anyway, I always feel like steel may beat up the gun too much if it’s a main diet.
KoaTico

Post by KoaTico »

Never personally had a problem with 9mm or 223 Tula, but have had enough friends with issues to make me stay away from it going forward.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

:icon-eek: :confusion-shrug: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :laughing-rolling: :angry-banghead: