Springfield Problem

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Springfield Problem

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

So according to older forums I've read on the subject, the Springfield Range Officer Champion in 9MM has pretty much always had problems with reloads. As the story goes, Springfield tolerances are so tight that this firearm rejects most reloads, but is super great with factory ammo.

So I take my brand new Springfield to the range today and sure enough it jams on every other round of my reloaded 9mm. The 50 rounds of factory stuff when through without a hitch.

So here's my question. I've shot my reloads out of my G19, Sig P365, Beretta 92, Browning High Power and my S&W M&P 9MM. WHY WON'T IT SHOOT OUT OF MY SPRINGFIELD. I'm assuming that since the tolerance problem was valid in forums 6 to 8 years ago, they would have fixed any problem on their end.

What do you think guys?

delta6

Re: Springfield Problem

Post by delta6 »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:44 pm So according to older forums I've read on the subject, the Springfield Range Officer Champion in 9MM has pretty much always had problems with reloads. As the story goes, Springfield tolerances are so tight that this firearm rejects most reloads, but is super great with factory ammo.

So I take my brand new Springfield to the range today and sure enough it jams on every other round of my reloaded 9mm. The 50 rounds of factory stuff when through without a hitch.

So here's my question. I've shot my reloads out of my G19, Sig P365, Beretta 92, Browning High Power and my S&W M&P 9MM. WHY WON'T IT SHOOT OUT OF MY SPRINGFIELD. I'm assuming that since the tolerance problem was valid in forums 6 to 8 years ago, they would have fixed any problem on their end.

What do you think guys?
I think you should load your ammo to factory tolerances. I have two Springers in 9MM and do not have a problem. It takes a bit more work, but these guns will print one hole at 25.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

And how do I determine what "factory tolerances" are? Since I've never had any problems with
any of my other 9MM's I'm not sure what you are talking about? Please explain.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Load with the same powder/charge as factory might be a good start.
Also, size your brass to what a factory case is (pull one and use it to set), both diameter and length, and are you doing full length sizing?
And some guns are just that way, I have a friend with an auto mag that won’t fire reloads no matter what he does to the cases, it has to be new Starline brass every time, drives him crazy.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:39 pm And how do I determine what "factory tolerances" are? Since I've never had any problems with
any of my other 9MM's I'm not sure what you are talking about? Please explain.
Gunslinger808, gave you a good start. As he mentioned, some guns, for what ever reason, just prefer, different foder and a more pains taking approach. Recently we learned that a bullet profile that I have been loading for years in 9MM, at a specific OAL and shot in Glocks, Hi-Powers, CZ's, Colts, SIG's, Springfield's, Lugers and S&W's, with absolutely no issues, will not chamber in a new Taurus G3. They have a rather short throat. So now for that firearm, we load a bullet with a close profile to factory bullets with a shorter OAL and the Taurus runs flawlessly.
Flash

Post by Flash »

My guess is a sizer that doesn't size brass all the way to the bottom, like the Dillon Size die. I shoot with 3 people who have STI guns and have had the same problem. They solved it by getting rid of the Dillon sizer die and using a Lee.

Is that what you've got, a Dillon size die?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I don't have nearly the experience as delta or flash but here are a couple things I have had happen in case it helps.

On a particular 10mm the ramp was kind of steep and the recoil spring was stout and when using plated bullets the nose would actually dent significantly and lodge itself midway into the chamber. Wouldn't happen using either hard lead or jacketed bullets. Then it ran like a champ.

My sigs in 40 will eat anything but my m&p will balk at the 180 lead. The m&p has a much tighter chamber and it hates the ogive. If I shorten the oal a touch the lead will work in the m&p.

Solved the problem but I was a little worried about pressure so I just don't use the lead in the m&p. It will eat reloads with 155 and 165 grain plated or jacketed bullets all day so I stocked up on zero bullets.

Funny thing was I measured 20 times and the 180 lead cartridge I was making was spot on oal the same as the factory 180 cartridge. It just hated the bullet
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

OP, didn't actually describe issue, failure to go into battery, failure to feed, lots of options here, share the info, and some of these jokers can get you on the right track, hehehe, reloading the other drug, can be a boon or a bust, pending issues.

The taurus issue was mine, we finally narrowed it down, by adjusting aol a smidge, one woujld think the amount was not an issue, but once done it runs like a timex. it was the same on a g2c also. only gat i had that would not feed some reloads, thankfully those particular reloads are color coded, hehe, so its easy to find the culprit if in the reload box and pull for another gat.

good luck
Rj
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

What, exactly, is the type of malfunction? Can't really nail down an exact issue unless we know the exact problem.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Hey, based on your comments and suggestions let me add some more info. I guess it would be nice if I told you what the problem was. My bad.

Ok, the first round racked ok. I shot, the brass would eject, but the slide would not go back into battery. I would have to push the slide forward by hand, very hard. This was the consistent problem.

I see where my factory ammo is 1.15 long by 0.385 wide
My reloads average 1.11 long by 0.387 wide

Do you think my reloads are not close enough to factory tolerances to create this problem?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Again, are you using a Dillon sizing die?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Sounds like normal new 1911 problems. Shoot some factory ammo to break it in, make sure it's properly lubed up.

I'm going to assume you have a firm grip on the firearm and are not limp wristing or tea cupping it, but if you are doing either of those, stop it.

What you are describing is not an uncommon issue for any new 1911, 9mm or 45acp. I've never been a fan of the shorter barreled 1911's...your issue is a very common complaint.

Your reloads shouldn't "average" anything...they should all be basically identical if you are doing everything correctly.

Are you reloading with an odd shaped bullet? Flat nosed vs round?

Since factory ammo worked flawlessly, it is definitely your reloads that are causing the issues.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

No, not using a Dillon sizing die. Using an RCBS carbide 3 die set.
My average quote was out to the 3rd decimel point which is 1000th of a point off
of factory loads (on an average). If that's the problem then I'm up sh#t creek cause I'm thinking
that's pretty good. I'm gonna hope that QuietM4 is correct in the possibility that it just might need a good breaking in. I've cleaned it and lubed it up good and will be taking it back to the range next Tuesday. I'll let those that are interested know if it gets better. Thanks to everyone giving advice.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Take a look in the chamber and check for any burrs or scratches, also. You don't need a mirror finish, but make sure it isn't rough.

On the rounds that will not go into battery, are there dents, scratches, scrapes, etc.?
Flash

Post by Flash »

What's the ogive shape? RN, HP, SWC or other?