Coarse vs Fine Walnut for cleaning media

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Dogslayer
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Coarse vs Fine Walnut for cleaning media

Post by Dogslayer »

I use a Thumler's Tumbler with Stainless Steel pin media. The cases come out looking like Gold.

Flash

Post by Flash »

So only those who do wet cleaning take pride in our hobby?
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I use an ultrasonic cleaner and a dry vibratory tumbler. I use walnut shells which I think is medium in size. It might be considered coarse. If it is fine it gets stuck in the primer pockets where the medium to coarse does not.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Dogslayer wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:01 am I use a Thumler's Tumbler with Stainless Steel pin media. The cases come out looking like Gold.
Big fan of wet tumble.

I've been using the Harbor Freight rotary tumbler with a dash of Lemishine and Dawn dish soap in hot water, stainless steel media, tumble for 45 minutes.

I was using 1lb of the 0.047" stainless steel pins, but I recently switched to some 1/8" diagonal cut jeweler's shot...falls out of the empty cases easier for cleanup. Brass comes out looking the same as the pins...more shinny than brand new brass!

I prefer the stainless steel media with a wet tumble for a few reasons; no dust, quieter, easy cleanup, media doesn't need replacement, and it's inexpensive. I may not be able to do as much brass per load, but I don't reload in huge quantities anyway.