Barrier Blind

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Barrier Blind

Post by Gatsby »

Do you guys have a favorite barrier blind bullet you load? On the old board, there was a guy (Andrew, I think?), his user name was Bitter Cling and he did all types of ballistics testing and posted his results. It may have been "the chopping block" or something like that. I haven't seen any of his stuff here.

Anyway, i don't have any way of testing these myself. I've been using Barnes TTSX, but have no idea if they perform as advertised, so I thought I'd ask.

What do you guys suggest? I'm really only talking .224 and .308 dia projectiles; those are all I load barrier blind for.

Thanks guys
Joe

DrEarlCordova
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Barrier Blind

Post by DrEarlCordova »

Yeah I remember that guy, he had interesting posts.
And from what I have heard the TTSX is a tough bullet.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Ironic that I was thinking about videos just the other day.

10 years or so ago, my choice was the 68gr and 168gr OTM. Seemed like a good combo of price/performance. I haven't researched what's available/ideal now.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

There's the Box-O-Truth website. He does a lot of penatration testing of various materials and some Mythbusting.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Gatsby wrote: December 30th, 2020, 4:34 am Do you guys have a favorite barrier blind bullet you load? On the old board, there was a guy (Andrew, I think?), his user name was Bitter Cling and he did all types of ballistics testing and posted his results. It may have been "the chopping block" or something like that. I haven't seen any of his stuff here.

Anyway, i don't have any way of testing these myself. I've been using Barnes TTSX, but have no idea if they perform as advertised, so I thought I'd ask.

What do you guys suggest? I'm really only talking .224 and .308 dia projectiles; those are all I load barrier blind for.

Thanks guys
Joe
I still see his videos pop up so might want to try and contact him through youtube. Seemed a like a cool dude and I liked his videos. Someone on one of the boards started giving him s*** saying he would get more youtube hits if he wasnt fat and he kind of faded away. People say weird sh*t sometimes.

Looks like he has fun making the videos though and whenever I run across one I make sure to give him a thumbs up.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I went with the Rem. 62gr Core-Lokt bonded JSP... very similar to the Federal 62gr 'Bear-Claw'... because that is what was available a couple years ago as reloading projectiles.
Best I could chrono using TAC was 3000 fps out of an 18" bbl... might revisit with other powders.
Don't know what bbl length the 3025fps OEM spec is with. If 20" then I'm in the right ballpark but if 16" then that load is a lot hotter than I went.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Thank you all very much. I appreciate all the insights.

I know this makes me sound like a simpleton, but sometimes I wish there was just a "best" and everyone agreed. Life would be simpler, no? :)
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Boriqua wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:08 am
I still see his videos pop up so might want to try and contact him through youtube. Seemed a like a cool dude and I liked his videos. Someone on one of the boards started giving him s*** saying he would get more youtube hits if he wasnt fat and he kind of faded away. People say weird sh*t sometimes.

Looks like he has fun making the videos though and whenever I run across one I make sure to give him a thumbs up.
Thank you Alex. That's... seriously f'd up. I have no chance of being able to find him on Youtube. If you're bored senseless one day and happen to run across one of his videos, would you mind posting the link? I could get to his channel that way. Thank you, sir.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

AZ1182 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:27 am Tipped as a barrier blind? Huh.

My favorite to load my own own or from factory are Speer Gold Dots.
Thank you.

My understanding of the tipped was that it helped with feeding only, but did not alter the nature of the actual projectile itself. You're obviously a smart guy and well versed, so if I am mistaken I would love to know that now. I have learned something from every single person on this and the previous board (including, unfortunately, guns that I never knew I couldn't live without).

All kidding aside, if you have more to say on the topic of tipped vs non, I would love to hear it. And if not in this thread we can start another.

Thanks in advance
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I am actually subscribed to his channel. Pretty sure this is who your looking for

https://youtube.com/c/chopinbloc

I'm going to write him and see if he knows the board is back up.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

General observations:

If you are talking loaded factory ammo, then almost all ammo saying "Duty" will be ammo that passes the FBI protocol for penetration and barriers. Some of the Rifle ammo saying Bonded and For law enforcement will also meet those standards but you should obviously research cause there are a couple tactical rounds in the rifle stuff that's intended to not over penetrate, iirc.

Stuff that says "defense" is generally designed to open up with less penetration and velocity. Or as some folks joke, rounds that failed the FBI protocol testing. Jokes aside some are just designed to work under different conditions.

If your talking projos, I wouldnt know where to begin as I'm not a big reloader.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:30 am I am actually subscribed to his channel. Pretty sure this is who your looking for

Isn't that the same guy that did a bunch of the content for the ar15.com YT channel?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

XJThrottle wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:17 am
Boriqua wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:30 am I am actually subscribed to his channel. Pretty sure this is who your looking for

Isn't that the same guy that did a bunch of the content for the ar15.com YT channel?
I only remember him from when he started out with the videos in the local boards. He was green and looking for input. Seems his channel has grown quite a bit. Good for him.

I left a comment with the board link. Let's see if he shows up.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:22 am
XJThrottle wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:17 am

I only remember him from when he started out with the videos in the local boards. He was green and looking for input. Seems his channel has grown quite a bit. Good for him.

I left a comment with the board link. Let's see if he shows up.
Just checked. His last video has a link to "the full video on ar15.com channel".

Same dude. He's local?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I'm pretty sure he is a local and shooting out in our desert for these vids. I'm working from memory but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. Can't remember which local board he was on but I thought it was the old azshooting but it could have been the other one with the star trek fettish guy.