What Did You Do in the Reloading Room Today?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Re: What Did You Do in the Reloading Room Today?

Post by Old Jeff H »

I've let my ADD get the better of me again and have too many things going at once. 9mm, 223, 308, and 30 Carbine brass scattered everywhere in various stages of processing. I've also realized that as I've gotten older I have to label EVERYTHING or I'll forget what stage it's in. :|

Am I the only one who's grown paranoid about neighbors knowing what you have/what you're doing? I used to tumble my brass on the back patio, but now I do it in the garage with the door closed. The guy behind me is decent enough, but both neighbors on either side of me are fresh CA transplants.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Old Jeff H wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:59 am Am I the only one who's grown paranoid about neighbors knowing what you have/what you're doing?
I've grown to live by the saying, "Roses are red, violets are blue, If I'm listening to Pantera my neighbors are too".

The ones who don't like me, leave me alone...
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Flash »

Old Jeff H wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:59 am Am I the only one who's grown paranoid about neighbors knowing what you have/what you're doing? I used to tumble my brass on the back patio, but now I do it in the garage with the door closed. The guy behind me is decent enough, but both neighbors on either side of me are fresh CA transplants.
For many years I've used a golf bag to take long guns out to the car and with handguns I use a fairly generic type bag, usually with my coat draped over it.

I've had good trustworthy neighbors and ex cons for neighbors and don't trust anyone.

Think about this: Even if you have a good trustworthy neighbor it's possible he or his family might say something to people who are less than desirable and the next thing you know, your house has been burglarized.

Oh, and I also tumble brass in a closed garage. The only downside is that some tumblers are so quiet I can't hear them inside the house so I put a timer on the AC cord going to the tumbler.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Yeah I agree, Flash.

These are increasingly difficult and desperate times. I have very little trust/faith in people as a whole.

And the only real downside to tumbling in the garage is my project car and all the parts are in there, so it's pretty cramped quarters these days.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Old Jeff H wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:56 pm
QuietM4 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:34 pm About to make a Home Depot lumber run so I can start building my reloading/work bench setup. 5' L-shaped with bottom and top shelves. Finally get to use my Kreg Pocket Hole Jig...exciting!

Of course, pics will be posted when completed. I have the next two weeks off so I can completely re-organize my gun room.
I'm excited for you. Desperately need to re-organize and inventory my stuff (it's spread across two bedrooms and the garage), but I'm moving in May and not feeling motivated enough to do it twice.

I did manage to mostly inventory my primers last night, but still have two ammo cans to do. Which has my scratching my head as to why the hell I have so many LPs. I've never loaded anything that takes LP, and have only briefly owned any firearms that would use them. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the post remodel pics!
Bench is 90% completed, but I got it in my gun room today, so I wanted to throw up a pic.

6' long on both sides, 2x4 and 2x6 construction. 1x12 top...easier than dealing with plywood, plus most of the top will be covered by cleaning mats. Still need to add the wood for the bottom shelves, some reinforcement supports on the outside corners where the reloading press and vice will be positioned. I am also going the add a 2x6 on edge along the back of the bench...since a 1x12 isn't really 1"x12" and a 2x4 isn't really 2"x4"...and it will keep things from rolling off the back. Router some softer edges on the benchtop, and I think that will do it.

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I tested some 9mm loads with couple different projectile and powder combinations today.

Also tested some .338 LM loads that I loaded a couple years ago but hadn’t gotten around to shooting until now. (Not sure why I haven’t taken the .338 out in so long - it was fun to shoot.) Had some issues with the blast from the muzzle brake loosening the LabRadar on the tripod quick release plate and spinning it off POA. Don’t have that issue with 9mm or .223. Maybe I’ll switch from left side to right next time so the muzzle blast tightens the mount.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

QuietM4 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Old Jeff H wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:56 pm
QuietM4 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:34 pm About to make a Home Depot lumber run so I can start building my reloading/work bench setup. 5' L-shaped with bottom and top shelves. Finally get to use my Kreg Pocket Hole Jig...exciting!

Of course, pics will be posted when completed. I have the next two weeks off so I can completely re-organize my gun room.
I'm excited for you. Desperately need to re-organize and inventory my stuff (it's spread across two bedrooms and the garage), but I'm moving in May and not feeling motivated enough to do it twice.

I did manage to mostly inventory my primers last night, but still have two ammo cans to do. Which has my scratching my head as to why the hell I have so many LPs. I've never loaded anything that takes LP, and have only briefly owned any firearms that would use them. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the post remodel pics!
Bench is 90% completed, but I got it in my gun room today, so I wanted to throw up a pic.

6' long on both sides, 2x4 and 2x6 construction. 1x12 top...easier than dealing with plywood, plus most of the top will be covered by cleaning mats. Still need to add the wood for the bottom shelves, some reinforcement supports on the outside corners where the reloading press and vice will be positioned. I am also going the add a 2x6 on edge along the back of the bench...since a 1x12 isn't really 1"x12" and a 2x4 isn't really 2"x4"...and it will keep things from rolling off the back. Router some softer edges on the benchtop, and I think that will do it.

Nice. Sturdy and roomy! I'm envious.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

While I was doing my primers inventory, I rediscovered these.
Primers.jpg
They would have been my grandfather's, and used for his 300 Win Mag and 223 Rem (Mini-14) reloads. I also have an old steel can of Dupont IMR 4198. If I were to guess, judging by the handwritten price on the Remington box (the individual ones inside are marked 85 cents), he bought these at DelRay Sporting Goods which was right down the street from his house.

I really don't know for sure when he was reloading, but I'm guessing this is all early 70's vintage stuff? I suppose I should go ahead and load them up at some point.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Yeah, that's early 70s vintage. I've still got some of them too. They'll go bang as long as they haven't been submerged in water.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Flash wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm Yeah, that's early 70s vintage. I've still got some of them too. They'll go bang as long as they haven't been submerged in water.
No water. I know they were stored in non-climate controlled conditions until about 12 years ago, but I ain't skeered.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Old Jeff H wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:57 pm
Flash wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm Yeah, that's early 70s vintage. I've still got some of them too. They'll go bang as long as they haven't been submerged in water.
No water. I know they were stored in non-climate controlled conditions until about 12 years ago, but I ain't skeered.
Nice find.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Scored this today.
Attachments
stuff.jpg
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Abbey wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:10 pm I tested some 9mm loads with couple different projectile and powder combinations today.

Also tested some .338 LM loads that I loaded a couple years ago but hadn’t gotten around to shooting until now. (Not sure why I haven’t taken the .338 out in so long - it was fun to shoot.) Had some issues with the blast from the muzzle brake loosening the LabRadar on the tripod quick release plate and spinning it off POA. Don’t have that issue with 9mm or .223. Maybe I’ll switch from left side to right next time so the muzzle blast tightens the mount.
It shouldn’t be hitting the Labradar in the first place. You’re going to have more problems than a loose mount if you keep blasting it with 338LM.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

It was just a lighthearted comment. The mount was just not tight enough but it didn’t matter until I shot the .338. I just pulled the tripod back 6” and it was fine the rest of the session.

Today’s reloading room activity- finished loading ~1700 rounds of 9mm. I’m now out of n320 (but have other powder), had to open my last case of SP primers, and am pretty much out of 9mm projectiles now. FWIW, I just loaded up 1k of Precision Delta 147gr RN and they worked great. A bit spendy, but so is everything right now.

Then I cleaned the Dillon and resized my .338 brass on the single stage.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Abbey wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:03 pm It was just a lighthearted comment. The mount was just not tight enough but it didn’t matter until I shot the .338. I just pulled the tripod back 6” and it was fine the rest of the session.

Today’s reloading room activity- finished loading ~1700 rounds of 9mm. I’m now out of n320 (but have other powder), had to open my last case of SP primers, and am pretty much out of 9mm projectiles now. FWIW, I just loaded up 1k of Precision Delta 147gr RN and they worked great. A bit spendy, but so is everything right now.

Then I cleaned the Dillon and resized my .338 brass on the single stage.
Might i inquire as to your data on use of n320 for the 9mm, as i h ave a gaggle and wondering what your data report is on results of round loading
thank
Rj