What Did You Do in the Reloading Room Today?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Abbey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What Did You Do in the Reloading Room Today?

Post by Abbey »

knockonit wrote: January 10th, 2021, 6:18 am Might i inquire as to your data on use of n320 for the 9mm, as i h ave a gaggle and wondering what your data report is on results of round loading
thank
Rj
3.8gr n320
Precision Delta 147gr RN
Mean 953fps
SD 7fps
COAL 1.156

3.6gr is 912fps and 4.0 gr is 980fps
Same charge of Bullseye is about 25fps faster but just as consistent.

Basically I find anything between 3.6-3.8 is fine for target loads and I don't notice a change in felt recoil or "minute of steel" accuracy.

Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

I've been resizing, trimming, and primer pocket swaging 30 carbine brass for days. Not sure why I can't stop torturing myself with that caliber, but I certainly have an affectionate attraction to it.

Also not sure why I keep buying more when I already have more than I'll ever use, but I can't resist grabbing it when I come across a bargain.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

thanks abbey, gonna give this a shot, although my pill is somewhat smaller, 115 gr, will advise of outcome once i accomplish feat.
apprecait info
Rj
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I run 4.0gr for 124gr projectiles. I'd probably start there and check the load books.

This may sound weird but I've never loaded 115 gr so I'm not sure exactly what is optimal. I usually load subsonic loads so I don't have to remember which ammo can is which when shooting suppressed.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Finally conquered that batch of 30 carbine brass. Just need to run it through the F.A.R.T. and it'll be ready to load.

This particular lot has had me wondering about its history. It came to me in an empty spam can, all of it on strippers. What I found particularly intriguing about it is it's was a mix of WCC, RA, and WRA headstamps - all of it from 1953. The WRA had crimped pockets. I'd have to speculate this was part of an estate sale, and shot a very long time ago.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

100 rds of 38 special using 158 gr coated lead from dg bullets and 3.8 gr of hp 38.

Made some equipment changes a few months back and still loving my choices
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I left a brand new recipe of 9mm sitting on the reloading room bench while I made a last minute decision to throw a couple guns, targets etc. in the vehicle and run out to the desert to test the new 9mm recipe.

Oh well, that just means another trip. I'll consider the a fun dry run.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I worked on my 30-30 to repair a small issue I had with it the last time I had it out. Had to order a couple of screws. It took me over an hour to find the screws for sale. But while I was searching for the screws I found some gold plated dress up pieces for it. Probably from a commemorative version. I also found high quality walnut stocks for it. I think I might buy some stuff to dress it up a bit. More ways to spend my money.

Finally getting to reloading for my Carcano for the first time. Got out my new dies and cleaned the grease/oil out of them that they come covered with to keep them from rusting. Got the sizing die set up and sized 200 pieces of brass.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

YNOTAZ wrote: January 18th, 2021, 2:22 pm I left a brand new recipe of 9mm sitting on the reloading room bench while I made a last minute decision to throw a couple guns, targets etc. in the vehicle and run out to the desert to test the new 9mm recipe.

Oh well, that just means another trip. I'll consider the a fun dry run.
Been there, done that. Or the times I forgot my chronograph. Or the times I wanted to test groups and forgot my spotting scope. Or that time I forgot the mags for my 6.5 and had to single feed all session (break sight picture, flip rifle sideways, drop in round, close bolt, re-acquire sight picture).
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Forgot your mags? That's ridiculous!

Yeah, I've done that a time or two.
marlin39a

Post by marlin39a »

Processing 100 38 Super cases to load with my cast bullets. I use a 140 grain Saeco #383, over 6 grs of Unique. Also getting ready to load 7.62 x54R.
Bosshaug

Post by Bosshaug »

Cast, sized and lubed about 800 230gr RN boolits for 45acp. Running a little low on ingots, so will have to break out the big pot and melt down a few isotope cores. Weather might be a problem today though.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

AZ1182 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:45 am Just rotary tumbled some brass. Easily separated and rinsed with no mess whatsoever, and now drying in the dehydrator some 223 brass along with some 5.56 casings as well.

Rotary's are so much easer to use and make the rest of processing and prepping so much more efficient.
Yes. I'll never go back to vibratory for final cleaning, but I still use them for a quick clean before I decap.
Bosshaug wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:36 am Cast, sized and lubed about 800 230gr RN boolits for 45acp. Running a little low on ingots, so will have to break out the big pot and melt down a few isotope cores. Weather might be a problem today though.
The good news is you know you'll never run out of lead!

I need to give casting another try. Everything went well until it came to sizing. I think I need to buy .403 and .402 bushings because going from .404 to .401 just wasn't happening.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Finally received my Inline Fabrication order...4" micro ultrmount and roller hanle for my Summit press. Got it installed on the bench tonight.

Flash

Post by Flash »

QuietM4 wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:12 pm Finally received my Inline Fabrication order...4" micro ultrmount and roller hanle for my Summit press. Got it installed on the bench tonight.

Love those roller handles. Got two of them on presses.