Reloading demons

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
xerts1911
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Reloading demons

Post by xerts1911 »

:shock: Ever have one of those days when reloading and everything you touch turns to sh!t. Electronic scale was totally possessed :evil: today, overcharge after overcharge, reset speed, reset trickle speed, reset the reset of the reset of the other reset, finally after an hour threw the phukn thing in the box. Went to the old standby battery operated scale, 20 rounds in to it the batteries die, threw that in the phukn box, went to the old beam scale with the old powder scoop and hand trickeler, took for ever so I called it quits at 50rnds. Glad I have enough on hand for the upcoming commie invasion :whistle:

Suck My Glock

Re: Reloading demons

Post by Suck My Glock »

Well, it could be worse. I've been present when one of those Dillon 650s decide to detonate the primer magazine tube at a buddy's place. That's an attention-getter.
KABOOM.jpg
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

AZ1182 wrote: December 13th, 2020, 5:42 pm
Suck My Glock wrote: December 13th, 2020, 5:29 pm Well, it could be worse. I've been present when one of those Dillon 650s decide to detonate the primer magazine tube at a buddy's place. That's an attention-getter.

KABOOM.jpg
Dillon?
Yes. Not this particular picture, though, which I chose merely for power of the demonstration. I believe this one was from a Hornady progressive. We didn't take any pictures. We were too busy cleaning our underwear.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

AZ1182 wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Glad that you're both okay. Did Dillon make it right for your friend?
Absolutely they did. Dillon has been aware of their mistake with that priming system for years and its why they eventually abandoned it and redesigned the 650 as the 750, which is really nothing more than the 650 with the safe and proven priming system of the 550. But that system is going to be a legacy headache for them as long as the company survives.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 13th, 2020, 5:29 pm Well, it could be worse. I've been present when one of those Dillon 650s decide to detonate the primer magazine tube at a buddy's place. That's an attention-getter.

KABOOM.jpg
Holy Sh!t!
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

There's a lot of "WOW" in this post. LOL
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

anyone who has reloaded for any length of time has had those days where one should have gone and had a beer and a burger and forgotten about the ugliness, i for one have not had catastrophic failures other than failing to check some aol,s, which mean i had to relegate almost 1k to a different shooter that would accept my over site. but have heard my share of horror blow ups, by close friends who have had "those " moments, and knock on wood, heres hoping my experience is not enhanced by a future ''horror'
Rj
Flash

Post by Flash »

The problem with the Dillon and some other progressive presses is that if one primer goes, they all go since they're stacked vertically in the tubes.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I had a RCBS primer tube that was getting hung up. In my wisdom and frustration I decided to smack the handle inward. Whole tube of primers went off. Still have black marks of pride on the ceiling. RCBS replaced it but I bought a hand primer for the caliber I use this press with.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Flash wrote: December 14th, 2020, 7:07 am The problem with the Dillon and some other progressive presses is that if one primer goes, they all go since they're stacked vertically in the tubes.
Isn't that most of them, even single stage presses?
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

The first hundred rounds I ran off my Hornady Progressive I wasn't 100% sure I didn't double charge a round of 38 since I had to keep going back and forth to get everything set right so I ended up scraping the entire run after I had sat and reflected on my work.

Better safe than sorry, it'd only take one to have slipped through.
Flash

Post by Flash »

delta6 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:48 pm
Flash wrote: December 14th, 2020, 7:07 am The problem with the Dillon and some other progressive presses is that if one primer goes, they all go since they're stacked vertically in the tubes.
Isn't that most of them, even single stage presses?
I've seen single stage presses with a vertical primer tube, but only once or twice in a lifetime of reloading. IIRC, those were RCBS. Other than that, never saw one.

On progressives, I know Dillon and Hornady use vertical, Lee doesn't and there's some other one that I forget that doesn't.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

AZ1182 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:39 pm As soon as I got my LnL set up, first thing I did was disable the priming system. I hand prime only. No kabooms ever happened (knocks on wood, lol).
I eventually went to 100% hand priming too. Not necessarily because of problems with the LNL itself, but I found that I just prefer the feel and confidence of hand priming. It might be a little bit of extra work, but when all you're doing is dropping powder and seating bullets the rounds really start flying outa there.

Oh and mishaps... I've only had one "serious" one. Decided to force a primer into a pocket that wasn't quite swaged enough. It's REALLY loud when they go off just a couple of feet from your ears. Luckily it was pointed away from my stupid face.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, the accidents or ''events'' are mostly relevant pending your amount of reloading, a lot of our ilk, tend to get complacent with their equipment, assuming they are the "'guru'' of reloading and mistakes don't happen, thats when uncle murphy or the "demon'' arrives, out of negligence on the part of reloader, now this is just my opinion, but can say from my own personal experience, mistakes i've made (knock on wood no kabooms) have been due to ego assuming i'm a guru, but eventually i'm put in my place and revert back to the deligent individual i can be when humbled, or one loads a hundy of of the wrong shiat and has to tear down, argh i hate that.
best of luck with the pull of the handle and may your reload fire off
Rj living that dream of dreams
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

Got my Dillon 650 in 1995 and cant imagine the number of rounds I have loaded on it since then and I have never even set off a primer or detonated the primer magazine. The problem is there are some people who should not be reloading and don't have the mindset for it. If a machine is treated correctly it will function correctly, if it isn't, it will malfunction. There is nothing inherently wrong with the priming system on the 650, it is just too refined for some people. If there was something wrong with it then everyone would have had issues with it. Dillon going backwards and putting the 550 priming system on the 650 is just them dumbing back down the press to keep people who shouldn't be reloading from hurting themselves.