Brass type matter with bulk 9mm reloading?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Re: Brass type matter with bulk 9mm reloading?

Post by Ranger1 »

The bad thing about range brass is you don't know if they were shot by a Glock. Glock brass needs to be put through a push through sizing die to get rid of the Glock bulge. 9mm brass is so cheap. You can get it for 1 to 2 cents each if you know where to look.

338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by 338lapua »

shooter444 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:07 pm
338lapua wrote: July 19th, 2018, 11:55 am It decreases case volume from 10-15% so a 10-15% load reduction is needed. Even with a reduction we still have cases separating and leaving half behind on extraction.

OK, but slightly puzzling, are you recommending a 10 to 15% reduction with any and all powders available for 9mm reloading?
Just that one type of case. Or throw them in the scrap bucket where they belong like I do.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Thanks for the photo, I had never seen that type of case before, I wonder how long those type of cases have been around? I pick up brass whenever I find it and have not come across those before.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Desert Rat wrote: July 19th, 2018, 9:22 pm Thanks for the photo, I had never seen that type of case before, I wonder how long those type of cases have been around? I pick up brass whenever I find it and have not come across those before.
I found my first one around 6 months ago or so. I have no idea how long they've been around, though.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

AZ1 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm 338 what is the name of your company?
Vulcan Logistics is my main company, I have the other companies under this one. We are not Arizona based. We only deal with high volume orders, handle warehousing and shipping for clients. We work for about 150 companies and are at full production at this time.

We do ammunition components, cnc machining, deep drawing, stamping, injection molding, blow molding, metal forming/bending, welding and a few other things.

We do not offer tours or sell to the public.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Flash wrote: July 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm
Desert Rat wrote: July 19th, 2018, 9:22 pm Thanks for the photo, I had never seen that type of case before, I wonder how long those type of cases have been around? I pick up brass whenever I find it and have not come across those before.
I found my first one around 6 months ago or so. I have no idea how long they've been around, though.
They have been showing up for about 6 years, they are not made here. Back in 2012 when I was buying all the brass cases I could find they started showing up. You can thank Ammoload and a few other companies for this. I had to adapt case processing equipment to find these. First ones I foundwas when a person I sold brass to came to me with half a case stuck in his pistol, he came back a few more times with the same problem which I had not seen before so I started looking into it and it was these pos cases that was the problem. I crush them now so they can never be loaded again.

Pretty sure this company in Turkey made this crap.

http://www.anatoliafisek.com.tr/en/
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Freedom Munitions had some stepped brass as well for a while, not sure if they do currently though. Their's weren't as pronounced as some of the examples here though, but were known to separate at the step.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

338lapua wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:01 pm
storage_man wrote: July 19th, 2018, 6:17 am WOW - that is some weird looking brass. I did some searches and Maxxtech is manufactured in Bosnia ! Maybe the extra brass protects the case & shooter since their loading machines probably have powder drops that are not very accurate ?
There are a couple more companies that draw their brass the same way. It is not the same quality of brass as what I use for making cases. Looking at the cases under a microscope their brass is garbage. Even if they made them the same way we make ours it would never survive the number of loadings you get out of American made and drawn brass in 9mm. I have cases that I have been reloading since 91, only got about 100 of them I haven't lost but they still are good.
I don't pick up random range brass. Most of it is from ME + Friends that I know. I always ask anybody that is shooting with me whether they want their brass ? If they say NO, I then ask them the MFG. Note that all of us are shooting FA, so there is always a ton of brass. But I have never seen any of the ones that you showed. I will be on the lookout. Today I spent this am sorting the last of the brass from the last shoot. Bad news is that most of it was .308 RG berdan primed rounds, a bunch of 9mm, a good supply of .40's and a few .223 & .45's. Didn't see any of those.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I sort all brass by head-stamp. When loading bulk 9mm it may not matter but I still load one head-stamp at a time. If I change primers or anything at all, then its is somewhat easier to ID them is I know what head-stamp I'm looking for. Many times I store the loaded ammo (of the same basic load) in empty powder bottles so if there is a primer switch,and they are the same color, it's easy to sort out.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

storage_man wrote: July 20th, 2018, 3:45 pm
338lapua wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:01 pm
storage_man wrote: July 19th, 2018, 6:17 am WOW - that is some weird looking brass. I did some searches and Maxxtech is manufactured in Bosnia ! Maybe the extra brass protects the case & shooter since their loading machines probably have powder drops that are not very accurate ?
There are a couple more companies that draw their brass the same way. It is not the same quality of brass as what I use for making cases. Looking at the cases under a microscope their brass is garbage. Even if they made them the same way we make ours it would never survive the number of loadings you get out of American made and drawn brass in 9mm. I have cases that I have been reloading since 91, only got about 100 of them I haven't lost but they still are good.
I don't pick up random range brass. Most of it is from ME + Friends that I know. I always ask anybody that is shooting with me whether they want their brass ? If they say NO, I then ask them the MFG. Note that all of us are shooting FA, so there is always a ton of brass. But I have never seen any of the ones that you showed. I will be on the lookout. Today I spent this am sorting the last of the brass from the last shoot. Bad news is that most of it was .308 RG berdan primed rounds, a bunch of 9mm, a good supply of .40's and a few .223 & .45's. Didn't see any of those.
I have been putting a mixture of my brass and range brass through full autos for the entire time I have been reloading. Only thing I am picky about what I shoot through them are the belt feds, For those it is mostly factory but if I go to a big MG shoot I may reload some to cut down on costs but I do a lot more case prep and will run them through a header to cut any burrs out of the extractor groove and the rim.

Save that berdan stuff for scrap.
Flash

Post by Flash »

To get on the record on this Glock Brass thing, I reload Glock brass all the time. Glock .45 ACP, Glock 9MM and Glock .380 ACP.

Some of it comes from Mrs. Flash's Glocks and mine of course, the rest is random range brass I pick up. I load them without running them through anything but standard Lee Sizing/decapping dies and shoot them in a variety of guns, Sigs, Glocks, Kahr, Star. Been doing this for decades on a weekly basis with absolutely no problems so I'll continue.

Everyone else can do what they want, of course, I'm merely telling you what I do.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Same here. I use the standard Lee sizing/decapping die and I have no problems.
Flash

Post by Flash »

AZ1 wrote: July 21st, 2018, 10:02 am Same here. I use the standard Lee sizing/decapping die and I have no problems.
A friend had a problem with what I assume was Glock brass not chambering in his STI guns. I looked at the rounds and told him to get a Lee sizing die. Since all he had was a Dillon SDB, he had to set up the Lee die in an RCBS Rockchucker, but it worked and the rounds now chamber in his STI guns.
mikeAZ

Post by mikeAZ »

Lube 9mm cases, BUY the Lee "U" sizer die. EGW case gauge checkers pay for themselves. Thirty years of 9mm reloading... ALL range brass (Read free).
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I imagine shooting high pressure rounds out of an unsupported chamber would produce cases tha may not chamber in another gun- like the glock syndrome. As mentioned, run them thru a pass-thru sizing die to get rid of the enlarged case head. Another way of doing it is modifying a full length die or the shell holder to allow the case to go further up in the sizing die.