300 Black out & 10 mm

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

300 Black out & 10 mm

Post by knockonit »

so who is rolling their own in this round, as i 'm just getting into this, am on the look out for a recipe that has success and some history, no pre requisite for recipe, just history and likes, dislikes ect.

happy friday
Rj

shooter444

Re: 300 Black out & 10 mm

Post by shooter444 »

When I got into loading 300BLK, I did a fair amount of research and came to the conclusion Acurate 1680 would be a good place to start. Other than being really, really, fine ball powder (messy to measure with my system) it worked out well enough that I stocked up and haven't looked elsewhere.

I put a 10.5" pistol upper on a Bushy lower I built just for my load development, which I produced chrony results of around 1,400 FPS for Hornady 220 (?) grain FMJ and my cast lead projos at just over 200 grains. The 300BLK is a weird little bastard, to me! I found that compressed loads didn't work well for me, and less than full capacity resulted in subs that I didn't like either, so, loading just to the bottom of the bullet resulted in perfect reliability, lighter recoil, lower noise and excellent penetration.

PENETRATION being my main objective!

A really nice format for work around my hobby ranch,... your desires may differ, and, your results may differ as well. 8-) All the best to you!
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I've seen Hodgdon Lil'Gun work really well in 300 Blackout
muta4warrior

Post by muta4warrior »

knockonit wrote: June 7th, 2019, 3:23 pm so who is rolling their own in this round, as i 'm just getting into this, am on the look out for a recipe that has success and some history, no pre requisite for recipe, just history and likes, dislikes ect.

happy friday
Rj
For subsonic Blackout I run AA1680 with Barry's 220grn plated bullet out of an 8" suppressed Noveske barrel.

For supersonic Blackout I ran W296 (H110 is almost identical powder to W296)) with 115-125 grn assorted bullets out of a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel with pistol gas. (I have since got out of the supersonic Blackout for the 7.62x40WT to fill that roll)
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I believe, as muta4warrior has inclined,... 300BLK seems to have it's idiosyncrasies when it comes to supersonic RELOADINGS and other calibers would probably be more productive, for that need. At least, that is what most of what I have read over the years seem to hint at, from many different reloaders.

I forgot to mention earlier,... other than powder choice,... I have found using a LONG SPIRE POINT bullet is an absolute must requirement. I fooled around with a few other profiles with no good results. Oh, I also found that polishing feed ramps can add to feeding dependability, but, reading other loader's remarks, it seems to have more to do with who made the barrel. Some do fine,.... some don't.

I decided to go the middle ground, not supersonic, and, not subsonic. I don't supress anything, so, I have no need to stay below 1,100 FPS. At around 1,400 FPS, I get to load A1680 up to the bottom of the bullet, I like FILLED CASES, and A1680 does it for me with 200 grain plus projos. But, I only use 300BLK for varmints on my place, closer than 75 yards. So, my main requirement of this caliber, like I posted earlier, is penetration. I live in the middle of a desert area, so through and through shots are not a safety issue, for me.

I posted a video from Youtube awhile ago, about 300BLK SUBSONIC penetration, I'll post it again,...

deanq

Post by deanq »

Load strictly sub-sonic, suppressed. 190-220 gr bullets. AA1680, T-680, IMR-4227 all work for me. It's a different beast for sure. Seating depth has a larger overall effect than any other caliber I've reloaded. Who woulda thunk? :) If your loading subs, work your loads "down", not "up".
zold

Post by zold »

shooter444 wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:51 am I believe, as muta4warrior has inclined,... 300BLK seems to have it's idiosyncrasies when it comes to supersonic RELOADINGS and other calibers would probably be more productive, for that need. At least, that is what most of what I have read over the years seem to hint at, from many different reloaders.

I forgot to mention earlier,... other than powder choice,... I have found using a LONG SPIRE POINT bullet is an absolute must requirement. I fooled around with a few other profiles with no good results. Oh, I also found that polishing feed ramps can add to feeding dependability, but, reading other loader's remarks, it seems to have more to do with who made the barrel. Some do fine,.... some don't.

I decided to go the middle ground, not supersonic, and, not subsonic. I don't supress anything, so, I have no need to stay below 1,100 FPS. At around 1,400 FPS, I get to load A1680 up to the bottom of the bullet, I like FILLED CASES, and A1680 does it for me with 200 grain plus projos. But, I only use 300BLK for varmints on my place, closer than 75 yards. So, my main requirement of this caliber, like I posted earlier, is penetration. I live in the middle of a desert area, so through and through shots are not a safety issue, for me.

I posted a video from Youtube awhile ago, about 300BLK SUBSONIC penetration, I'll post it again,...

This does not make me want a 300BLK upper less. What barrel have you had the best luck with?
Azrckcrawler

Post by Azrckcrawler »

Just getting into 300 so thanks everyone for the info.

Been doing 10mm for a while and have a ton of load/accuracy data. Will give you some of my better ACCURATE loads, use at your own peril. I have loads that go faster but don't consider them useful if the group sizes are bigger than 6" @ 10-12 yds. Group sizes are just for reference but pistol shot standing while shooting past a Labradar chrono.

Longshot - easy to get the velocity, accuracy nodes are elusive. Most of my groups are 4" plus so just use book values and try to find one that shoots good in your firearm. I quit loading 10mm with this powder.

AA#9 - Best accuracy for me, great velocities, need lots of it in the case. 200gr WFNGC over 13.3 @1.255 netted 1252fps thru 5" barrel w 2" group at 12 yds. 155gr GDHP over 15gr @1.25 netted 1343fps thru 4.5" barrel w a 2.5" group at 12 yds.

AA#7 - 2nd to #9, 165grn over 11.5gr @1.255 netted 1259fps thru 5" barrel w 1.87" group at 12yds

BE86 - Most versatile powder. Light to heavy, 380 to 10mm. Offers good velocity and good accuracy in 10mm. My go to for 180gr FM. 8.5gr should get you close around 1200fps.

Blue Dot - Been playing around with this one. Takes less powder to get same velocities as #9, similiar accuracy but louder. So far does better with lighter projectiles. 155 GDHP over 11.5gr @1.25 netted 1340fps with a 2" group at 10 yds. Little more efficient than #9. 200gr JHP take about 8.3gr , nets 1050fps but so far all my groups are 4"+. Both the above thru a 4.5" barrel.

True Blue - Inconsistent accuracy, ok velocities. Right before I gave up on it I put 8.8 gr over a 165gr FMJ @1.25 which netted 1208fps and a 2" group at 12 yds thru 5" barrel. More powder went faster but groups got ugly in the 9 to10" range. Never found a good heavy loading.
thom

Post by thom »

Following