Aguila 22 rounds going boom

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Aguila 22 rounds going boom

Post by 338lapua »

____unnamed.jpg

Dont usually shoot the Aguila aka as Mexican Remington but was all that was available. Many rounds from this box of 500 would not chamber and several of them did this and blew up. Have had the same problem with Remington golden bullet 22 ammo as well.

pvreb

Re: Aguila 22 rounds going boom

Post by pvreb »

Interesting. I have quit buying Remington, Federal, and Winchester .22s. Mostly because of failures to fire. Some Winchesters have separated at the base. CCIs and Aguilas have performed well for me.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I had that problem with Winchester SuperSpeed a few years ago during the .22lr drought. They let their QC slip during the 24/7/365 production madness, and I had a significant number of case head blowouts.

I suspect the same thing is happening here;...balls to the wall production is letting quality control slip.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

338lapua wrote: May 4th, 2022, 10:16 am ____unnamed.jpg

Dont usually shoot the Aguila aka as Mexican Remington but was all that was available. Many rounds from this box of 500 would not chamber and several of them did this and blew up. Have had the same problem with Remington golden bullet 22 ammo as well.
Had the same problem with Armscor but the Aguila that I have shot (2 cases from the CMP) many years ago was very good.

One thing that a friend had happen to him was that he had lead build up in the chamber of his pistol and it caused similar problems with other brands as well. As soon as he cleaned out his chamber and passed the “Plunk Test” he never had it happen again. If the ammo is not passing the “Plunk Test” in the chamber of your barrel it could cause the problems you are having. Just a suggestion to check it out and test the ammo in the chamber before you shoot it again. BTW, it took him buying a bronze brush and lots of lead remover and about 15 minutes of scrubbing to finally get that lead out of his chamber.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

High Standard wrote: May 4th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Had the same problem with Armscor but the Aguila that I have shot (2 cases from the CMP) many years ago was very good.

One thing that a friend had happen to him was that he had lead build up in the chamber of his pistol and it caused similar problems with other brands as well. As soon as he cleaned out his chamber and passed the “Plunk Test” he never had it happen again. If the ammo is not passing the “Plunk Test” in the chamber of your barrel it could cause the problems you are having. Just a suggestion to check it out and test the ammo in the chamber before you shoot it again. BTW, it took him buying a bronze brush and lots of lead remover and about 15 minutes of scrubbing to finally get that lead out of his chamber.
It was cleaned before the range that day as well as the other days. I have never shot anything other than plated for 22. Other people at the range were looking when it went off. I also clean the copper from 22 barrels and that is the only caliber I remove lead from. After a hundred or so the gun is so damn dirty it has function issues.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

338lapua wrote: May 4th, 2022, 6:22 pm
High Standard wrote: May 4th, 2022, 4:06 pm

It was cleaned before the range that day as well as the other days. I have never shot anything other than plated for 22. Other people at the range were looking when it went off. I also clean the copper from 22 barrels and that is the only caliber I remove lead from. After a hundred or so the gun is so damn dirty it has function issues.
Not trying to argue. Have you tried the “Plunk Test”? I have some match pistols that I clean meticulously after each firing. And even after a complete cleaning sometimes they don’t pass the test. It is a very easy and quick test. If it passes then you can eliminate one possibility. If it doesn’t pass, it might be the problem. Just a suggestion to help eliminate one aspect that can cause your issue.

Have you contacted the manufacturer and ask them what the problem could be?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Yes I have dropped rounds into the chamber and they go right it. I polish chambers on every pistol barrel I own. Even on a clean barrel some of the rounds just dont want to go in. I shot 300 cci minimags a month ago in one session and had no problems. It is this ammo and employees at stores that sell it are saying customers are complaining about the ammo. Add to this I am a high volume shooter and 22 is dirty and this ammo feels greasy when I load it into mags. Bottom line is rounds should not be ripping the rim off the case and being so much louder that other shooters are noticing.

On the round that exploded the case fell right out of the chamber with no effort.

I e-mailed Aguila and linked this post and no response at all, maybe everyone else who bought this ammo is having problems as well. I am shooting it through Ruger mark 2 and 3's so I am not in fear of it harming the pistol and if they dont get back with me I will just finish off the box and not buy any more crap from them.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I haven't shot a lot of Aquila ammo , but I have never had a problem with any of it.
Winchester M-22 on the other hand is absolute junk and I would never buy it again.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

The only Aguila that I have bought and shot was to shoot suppressed. I have never had an issue with the ammo, and it is SUPER quiet, but from what I read in another post, perhaps the ammo from pre-2021 was better quality?
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

338lapua wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:20 am Yes I have dropped rounds into the chamber and they go right it. I polish chambers on every pistol barrel I own. Even on a clean barrel some of the rounds just dont want to go in. I shot 300 cci minimags a month ago in one session and had no problems. It is this ammo and employees at stores that sell it are saying customers are complaining about the ammo. Add to this I am a high volume shooter and 22 is dirty and this ammo feels greasy when I load it into mags. Bottom line is rounds should not be ripping the rim off the case and being so much louder that other shooters are noticing.

On the round that exploded the case fell right out of the chamber with no effort.

I e-mailed Aguila and linked this post and no response at all, maybe everyone else who bought this ammo is having problems as well. I am shooting it through Ruger mark 2 and 3's so I am not in fear of it harming the pistol and if they dont get back with me I will just finish off the box and not buy any more crap from them.
While I was reading this I recall having a similar problem with a brick of Federal American Eagle Red Box I bought several years ago. It smelled funny and sounded funny when I shot them. And then I had a couple do the same separation as the Aguila did for you. I ended up shooting the remainder out of a revolver I have. No more separations but it didn’t shoot any where close to POA.

Also, I buy and shoot a lot of CCI SV and Blazer. One thing I recall is during the last panic buying from 2008 until 2012 or so is that the waxy lube they use on these rounds was applied in excess and created problems removing them from the plastic holders and in some cases not chambering fully due to the excess lube. I wrote to CCI about this and I never heard back from them.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Aguila has still not gotten back to me. I guess they really care.
CharleneRJackson
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by CharleneRJackson »

I don't have any experience with it.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Have used their subsonic without issue and do have an older stash of regular 22LR. I will be more aware of performance when I end up using them but I tend to agree with some previous posts that with the level of ramped up production quality is going to suffer. Hopefully not in damaging way.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I shoot Aguila .22LR virtually every week and Mrs. Flash shoots the Remington Golden Bullets in her Advantage Arms G26 conversion around once a month. Been doing that for years with no problems.

Sounds like a bad lot of ammo.
Firewhenready7

Post by Firewhenready7 »

Never had any problems with any of them....Lucky I guess