How to remove a consentual trustee from NFA trust

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Az target sports
New to ArizonaShooting.org

How to remove a consentual trustee from NFA trust

Post by Az target sports »

Hello,
I had a question about how to remove a trustee/executor from an NFA trust. Here is the situation. My ex wife and I set up an NFA trust in 2016 and are divorced now. We are both civil to each other so there will be no arguing. My ex wife wife and I agree we should ammend the trust to remove her, and leave me as the sole trustee. We both assume there is a form we need to fill out, sign and have it notarized to ammend the trust. Does anyone know if this is something I can download from the ATF website, or should I contact the attorney that set up the trust for us?
Any help is appreciated

smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How to remove a consentual trustee from NFA trust

Post by smithers599 »

In the body of the trust agreement itself, there is almost certainly a paragraph describing the process for a trustee to resign or be removed. It will say something like "a Trustee may resign by..." Just do what the document says. There will also likely be a Certification of Trust or Summary of Trust that says "This is the name of the trust. This is the address of the trust. These are the Trustees." Just copy that document but with the correct information. Send a copy to the ATF.

No charge for this free advice. In fact, today only, 50% off the free price.
Az target sports

Smithers599,
Thanks for your help on this issue. I will go back and read the fine print of the trust and see what it says to do
Thanks for your help
Az target sports

Smithers599,
Thanks for your help on this issue. I will go back and read the fine print of the trust again and see what it says to do
Thanks for your help
deanq

Post by deanq »

smithers599 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 4:24 pm In the body of the trust agreement itself, there is almost certainly a paragraph describing the process for a trustee to resign or be removed. It will say something like "a Trustee may resign by..." Just do what the document says. There will also likely be a Certification of Trust or Summary of Trust that says "This is the name of the trust. This is the address of the trust. These are the Trustees." Just copy that document but with the correct information. Send a copy to the ATF.

No charge for this free advice. In fact, today only, 50% off the free price.
The BATFE has no part in this. They don't need or want a copy. This is between YOU and your TRUST.

You get what you pay for on the Internet.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

^^^
True. It's none of the BATFE's business unless and until the trust acquires or disposes of a gun/suppressor/etc. Then the paperwork needs to be signed by all Trustees, so at that point they need to know who the current Trustees are.
ducatilover

Post by ducatilover »

As other have said. No need to notify ATF. Unless you have a pending application. Otherwise just follow your trust on how to remove a trustee. Sign and notarize. Done.

I too am not a lawyer.
deanq

Post by deanq »

smithers599 wrote: August 19th, 2020, 7:30 am ^^^
True. It's none of the BATFE's business unless and until the trust acquires or disposes of a gun/suppressor/etc. Then the paperwork needs to be signed by all Trustees, so at that point they need to know who the current Trustees are.
That is not correct. Trustees can be changed at will if an NFA item is already in the trust. (Form 1,4 etc. is in-hand)