SBR and Suppressor on same Form 1?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
YNOTAZ
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: SBR and Suppressor on same Form 1?

Post by YNOTAZ »

I also recommend the SBA3. You build it as a pistol, you can always SBR it later then return it to a pistol configuration with no stock and no SBA3 to sell it. As a pistol you can take it across state lines without filing with ATF first and you can sell it any time you want, allow anyone in your family to use and "control" it, and you saved $200 in taxes which pays for the SBA3.

I have several SBRs but my last unit is an AKV with an SBA3 on it.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

TacMedic wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:21 pm Thanks YNOATZ and QuietM4. I had considered just purchasing the pistol version and then changing out the butt stock, but for that they’re actually a little different. If it has to sit in ATF jail, I will just have to be patient.

It’s outrageous that doing one method takes longer than the other method. It shouldn’t matter, this paperwork should be extremely rapid with the quick check of my background, throw a stamp on it, cash my check. It’s outrageous that doing one method takes longer than the other method.

I wish my trust has been used within the last two years, but it’s been longer than that since I did it, so I guess I’ll have to send in the for trust paperwork again as well. Thank you for the advice, and I guess I’ve got over a year before I’ll be able to even see the gun/suppressor. 🤷🏼‍♂️
How is it different?

Both my SBRs were bought as pistol kits. They were never assembled as pistols tho. First one sat in the safe for the 2 weeks it took to get the stamp. The second one had the stamped lower before I even bought parts.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

The pistol brace versus the specific stock they sell. It’s a very subtle and small difference probably not that important. I just like how minimal the stock they sell is, I’m sure I can probably find it somewhere and just put it on myself once I do the form one.

I’ll probably end up buying the pistol and then just changing the stock out once I get a form one done.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

It's called the CMMG AR-15 RipStock...they sell the kit for $200.

Now, IMO, I'd rather buy the pistol version, then add the stock after I Form 1 the pistol. Yes, you would spend an extra $200, but it would be worth it since you couldn't have to wait a year before you can shoot the gun.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

QuietM4 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:35 pm It's called the CMMG AR-15 RipStock...they sell the kit for $200.

Now, IMO, I'd rather buy the pistol version, then add the stock after I Form 1 the pistol. Yes, you would spend an extra $200, but it would be worth it since you couldn't have to wait a year before you can shoot the gun.
Just sent an email to the FFL, it seems like the pistols are very hard to get their hands on right now, their website says it’s a minimum of a 10 week wait anyway, but they have the SBR’s readily available. I will see how this plays out over the next few weeks as I try to arrange everything for the suppressor in the gun. No matter what I’m probably waiting over a year for just a suppressor too.

I appreciate all the help and feedback everybody! This forum always makes my decisions easier. I may not be a significant contributor, and mostly soak up knowledge, but I really appreciate it.
sharp

Post by sharp »

TacMedic wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:29 am
QuietM4 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:35 pm It's called the CMMG AR-15 RipStock...they sell the kit for $200.

Just sent an email to the FFL, it seems like the pistols are very hard to get their hands on right now, their website says it’s a minimum of a 10 week wait anyway, but they have the SBR’s readily available. I will see how this plays out over the next few weeks as I try to arrange everything for the suppressor in the gun. No matter what I’m probably waiting over a year for just a suppressor too.

I appreciate all the help and feedback everybody! This forum always makes my decisions easier. I may not be a significant contributor, and mostly soak up knowledge, but I really appreciate it.
But you still have the wait for the tax stamp.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

Yes, I know. No matter what I’m waiting, I can be patient. 😁
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

QuietM4 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 3:12 pm But with a pistol version, you can be shooting it while waiting for your suppressor to clear.
Totally true but I want it all now and at once...LOL.

Plus shooting it suppressed is the only way to go.

I love the ATF,
I love the ATF...haha. (say it enough and I'll be patient enough for the stamps to clear)

I "pulled the trigger" and ordered both today and will have to wait for the tax stamps anyway. Bruce at Mr. Silencer was very communicative with me (over email since I work midnight's) and was awesome to work with. I'll make the 4 hour drive (up and back) to support a business that is helpful and does not give me the run around. Now to create a letter stating that it's fine for me to travel....hahaha

Now to get my other guns/ammo sold so I can afford what I just bought!