with D gone, best place to handle a transfer?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
WRMorrison
ArizonaShooting.org Member

with D gone, best place to handle a transfer?

Post by WRMorrison »

I have a couple suppressors that I'm planning to sell to a friend, but I need someone who can complete the transfer: paperwork, store the items until the paperwork comes through, etc.

I always used Derek in the past, but have no idea where to go now. I'd prefer the NW valley area, but would go just about anywhere for the right place / deal.

-WRM

YNOTAZ

Re: with D gone, best place to handle a transfer?

Post by YNOTAZ »

For a straight transfer, I don't see a reason to require a dealer. The only issue I know of becomes one of trust, does the seller trust the buyer enough to wait for payment after the paperwork is approved (not a good idea) or does the buyer trust the seller well enough to pay for the devices and wait a year to get them.

The dealer just adds a uninvolved third party that may increase the trust factor.

If you have your original form 4 you can almost copy it verbatim onto the current Rev Form 4 with you as the seller and your buddy as the buyer. Pull the form 4 off the ATF web site fill in the blanks. You sign, he signs, he sends it off with the money to ATF and you both wait. The description of the device is critical. If it says 7.62 engraved on the side of the device but it was registered as 30 Cal. use 30 cal. or it will bounce. If it says 6" and you can easily see it is 8" use 6" or it will bounce. Your bubby can submit a correction after the transfer is approved, if he wants. Your buddy will need to get 2 fingerprint cards for the submission.

BTW when you go to the ATF web site the blanks you have to fill in are highlighted and the form 4 comes with all copies and instructions which includes the CLEO copy and the spot to put Passport Photos.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61546/download
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Thanks for the insight. It's not an issue of trust, it's more of an issue with wanting to make sure everything is done right the first time and not risk screwing something up and making the wait unnecessarily long.

Plus, there's a possibility I may move out of state in the next 6 months, and I don't want (and might not even be able to) take the items with me to that state.

-WRM
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Plus, It's been a long time since I purchased these items and I'm told that some of the rules have changed in regards to fingerprints, trusts, signatures, etc. So I'm not up to speed on what the requirements are now.

-WRM
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

What YNOTAZ stated is correct, there is no need for a FFL/Transfer on a within state FTF. But in your case, since most transfers are taking a minimum of 1 year, which means there will be a requirement to store those NFA items within the state before the the actual xfer. I have used MLS Arms on out of state transfers and their price has been reasonable (Haven't done a NFA yet). They seem to by good guys, but the choice is yours.

I don't know where your located, but MLS arms is at 35th ave and (I believe its) Greenway.

Good luck.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Neil, with Greystone Firearms :D :D :D :D
bldr60

Post by bldr60 »

Rock Hardson wrote: September 24th, 2019, 5:26 pm Neil, with Greystone Firearms :D :D :D :D
Yep, Ol Neil will take care of you.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I inquired about doing this exact thing at Quentin Defense a month ago. Someone had a rifle for sale with a suppressor that was moving out of state and could not take it with him to hold it. I asked QD if they could hold it for us. I was told that a Dealer/SOT cannot do this unless they have the suppressor transferred to them on a form 5 or some other form effectively making it there's then affecting the sale and transfer to the buyer. Extra steps that did not have enough value i suppose for them to mess with it. I was told that the practice of a dealer holding a suppressor for a seller and buyer violated some regulation and is what cause the demise of another dealer in the west valley a few years ago. I did not fully understand but i do believe that the owner of QD had some reason for telling me this. So do your research, i am sure there is a way. But its always more complicated than it should be. I remember buying my first NFA item from an individual locally, had to pay up front, file the paperwork and have a person i had never met hold both the item and the money. It all worked out but back then it took a month to get the paperwork back. These days a suppressor could take a year i am told. I really miss Derek in lots of ways this is one, every other NFA item i have except one suppressor went through him.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

Sent a PM if you need a NW valley SOT I'll do it.
srfnken
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by srfnken »

Sorry for bringing up an old post but want to shed some first hand knowledge on this topic. Quentin Defense is correct, a SOT can not hold a NFA item for a transfer. How do I know this? I did this with the dealer in the west valley that got raided and my suppressor got confiscated by the ATF and it took me 2.5 years to get it back. He was raided for doing shady stuff and for his home getting raided and finding drugs. ATF explained that in order for the dealer to take the item the dealer would have to pay $200 to transfer it into his name first. So it was tax evasion by not paying the tax and holding the item. Lesson learned as the guy I bought it from was moving out of state. Another lesson learned that at the time ATF had listed on their website that if a person was moving out of state it was lawful for another person to posses the item as long as it was in a locked container. So I could have bought a $20 safe from harbor freight and locked it in there as long as I did not have the key or combo to get in. And I just found the link
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-indi ... -transport
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Thanks! It's a relief to know that there's at least a temporary solution if I need it.

-WRM
Viperdisorder

Post by Viperdisorder »

Mr silencer is awesome, out here on the east side, now that Derek is gone all this time, hope he is doing ok
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

^^^^Probably the most educated and helpful suppressor suppliers in the valley.
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

I've used Mr Silencer 3 times. I can easily recommend him
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

I’ve heard good things about Mr Silencer from friends, up there, so I may have to travel. Unless there is someone down south near Tucson.

I really wish I didn’t work midnights and sleep when the rest of the world is awake. It would make it easier to figure out these things. 🤷🏼‍♂️