Griffin Optimus

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Griffin Optimus

Post by Pro2a »

Does anybody own or have experience with the griffin armament Optimus suppressor?
I don’t know if they have other models, that this is the one that suppresses 22 through 300 WinMag.
I’m strongly considering buying one, and there are only a few videos out on YouTube, and they all seem positive, but they are a few years old.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Griffin Optimus

Post by admin »

I've got one with about every optional accessory you can get for it. What would you like to know?

I really like the modularity, it's not the quietest one I have, but that wasn't my primary reason for getting it. I like that I can use it on a plethora of guns; anything smaller in caliber than .40.

I've used it on a 308, 223, 9mm (threaded handgun and 3-lug MP5), so far.

The most tedious thing about it is keeping the threads properly greased so they don't stick due to carbon. A strap wrench is pretty much a must-have for this.

Would I buy it again? Yes. I like the niche it fills.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

There are a few things, only one I can think of right now. Is it not the quietist because of its versatility? I’ve only seen Tim’s review on the MAC channel that was productive. It seemed really quiet but he was using subsonic ammo.
It does sound like a good product from your experience though and I’m 99% convinced.
I really wanted a Silencerco, because they are giving away a free Sparrow or Specter with the purchase of $800, but that specific model didn’t cover as much as the Optimus. Plus the cost and stamp fees went way over the cost of the Griffin.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, a sealed can will always be quieter, all else being equal. However, I can't imagine that being a big difference. I have a half dozen other suppressors in various calibers - all others are dedicated to a specific caliber.

My biggest 'in-hindsight' about this one is all the accessories to buy to go with it. My worry was that if I didn't get them now that eventually, Griffin would stop making the suppressor and parts for it, so I should get them now as part of the kit. That essentially doubled my cost. Think, 3-lug adapter, various boosters, and other attachments. That happened with my AAC Evolution 9, and I couldn't find a 3-lug adapter for YEARS until recently.

Another cool thing about the modularity of the suppressor, is that if it ever has a problem or 'breaks', all the parts are accessible and replaceable.

Again, not the quietest you can get, but if you want to be able to use it on multiple rifles and handguns, it's about the best option you can get for that.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Thanks, I'm going to round up more cash than anticipated and get this.
I initially walked in to just get a Specter or Sparrow for now, and get some other Silencerco model in the future.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

just file a form 1 and build one have $600 with stamp in a ti can just as quiet as my buddy's gemtech
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

omegaman wrote: June 24th, 2018, 11:18 am just file a form 1 and build one have $600 with stamp in a ti can just as quiet as my buddy's gemtech
I'm not quite sure that's the niche that those who are looking at the Optimus are looking to fill. The Optimus is about versatility and configurability.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Sd makes 3 lug/several adapters can mount a LID/Nealson device etc. & just change the end caps and you are goods to go. just my.02 if building is not your thing then the Optimus would be a good choice.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I have an Optimus that still sits in the box it came in. Took a year for it to clear and find its way home, and after glancing at the parts I realized I have no idea how to use the thing. I am watched several videos, and still don't get it. I'm not very mechanically inclined, granted, but this was a busier tool than I'd anticipated. So there it sits on my shelf. It is a pretty box, either way.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Razai wrote: June 27th, 2018, 7:02 pm I have an Optimus that still sits in the box it came in. Took a year for it to clear and find its way home, and after glancing at the parts I realized I have no idea how to use the thing. I am watched several videos, and still don't get it. I'm not very mechanically inclined, granted, but this was a busier tool than I'd anticipated. So there it sits on my shelf. It is a pretty box, either way.

:doh:
Razai

Post by Razai »

Indeed...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you need some guidance with it, I'd be happy to help. Knowing how you are with firearms and cycling through them, this is truly the PERFECT suppressor for you. Really. :)
Razai

Post by Razai »

You're on to me...