Rugged obsidian 45

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
SigChef
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Rugged obsidian 45

Post by SigChef »

Just got my first rifle cab out of jail (SiCo Specwar556). Looking at getting my first pistol can and I'm looking at the rugged obsidian 45. Going to be used on an P01, 1911 and CZ Scorpion. Who has One? Thoughts?

Cavtrooper

Re: Rugged obsidian 45

Post by Cavtrooper »

Oooooo! I got my eye on it. I'll be asking for your feedback!
SupahG33K
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by SupahG33K »

I have drooled over the Obsidian for a long time, finally bit the bullet this week and ordered one through Silencer Shop. It'll serve it's purgatory sentence at Ted's in Queen Creek so at least I can enjoy conjugal visits while patiently enduring the NFA Branch bureaucracy....again...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

SupahG33K wrote: July 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm I have drooled over the Obsidian for a long time, finally bit the bullet this week and ordered one through Silencer Shop. It'll serve it's purgatory sentence at Ted's in Queen Creek so at least I can enjoy conjugal visits while patiently enduring the NFA Branch bureaucracy....again...
I have been trying to find a range here that will do visits does Teds actually allow you?
SupahG33K

Post by SupahG33K »

Indeed they do. I was able to shoot mine this weekend on my P220 host. I just went to the counter, told them I have a can being held there, gave the gentleman the make/model and my ID and he returned shortly with my can. I put about 100 rounds through it, let it cool, boxed it back up and they put it back in the safe for me.

ETA: Absolutely LOVE the Obsidian, can't wait to get the stamp and take it home.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

SupahG33K wrote: November 30th, 2018, 6:39 pm Indeed they do. I was able to shoot mine this weekend on my P220 host. I just went to the counter, told them I have a can being held there, gave the gentleman the make/model and my ID and he returned shortly with my can. I put about 100 rounds through it, let it cool, boxed it back up and they put it back in the safe for me.

ETA: Absolutely LOVE the Obsidian, can't wait to get the stamp and take it home.
Thanks, confirmed by calling them. Ordering an Obsidian 9 or 45 later tonight! Will be my first centerfire can, love my 22 cans
SupahG33K

Post by SupahG33K »

Kraken wrote: November 30th, 2018, 7:17 pm Thanks, confirmed by calling them. Ordering an Obsidian 9 or 45 later tonight! Will be my first centerfire can, love my 22 cans
Pretty sure you'll be happy either way. I went with the 45 so I can host with any of my pistols. Just need to get another piston so I can try it out on one of my 9mm hosts next time out.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

So I'm looking at the Obsidian vs. the Silencerco Omega. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?
SupahG33K

Post by SupahG33K »

I think you'll be happy with either one. Things that pop out at me the most are that the Omega 45 is fully welded, so no tearing down to clean it out; but it is rated to .300BLK supersonic whereas the Obsidian 45 is only rated to handle subs. The Omega is lighter and shorter than the Obsidian in it's full configuration, but I like the convertible nature of the Obsidian. The Obsidian is also "skinnier" than the Omega, so there's (a bit) less sight obstruction on some hosts. I've not used it, but I've heard good things about Rugged's warranty service and I'm sure SiCo is right up there with them but I have no personal experience with either...yet.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

SupahG33K wrote: July 25th, 2019, 6:30 am I think you'll be happy with either one. Things that pop out at me the most are that the Omega 45 is fully welded, so no tearing down to clean it out; but it is rated to .300BLK supersonic whereas the Obsidian 45 is only rated to handle subs. The Omega is lighter and shorter than the Obsidian in it's full configuration, but I like the convertible nature of the Obsidian. The Obsidian is also "skinnier" than the Omega, so there's (a bit) less sight obstruction on some hosts. I've not used it, but I've heard good things about Rugged's warranty service and I'm sure SiCo is right up there with them but I have no personal experience with either...yet.
So I put this project on the back burner and just finally got back to this post. I just posted in regards to the rifle I’m thinking of purchasing with this. I guess I will now do a ton more research on the two side-by-side and decide which one will best serve my SBR.

Since I’m “resurrecting” this thread, if anyone has experience with either of the above, could you please post your feedback?
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

Disregard my last post above, after doing some research tonight, I’ve decided I’m going to stick with the silencer co suppressor. I already have one of theirs, and although it’s more expensive I think it’ll serve my needs better. The obsidian does have more features, but they are features that I would never use.

This is going to be a pricey project so hopefully the other items I have for sale on this site gets sold soon. I guess it’s time to reduce prices on a couple of them. 😁
Viperdisorder

Post by Viperdisorder »

I have several rugged, the ability to shorten the can by removing the extensions and baffles and end caps is not a trivial feature, it creates 2 different cans, also I find the adapters are very much more plentiful and cheaper. They perform well, build is sturdy.