Suppressor Questions

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Suppressor Questions

Post by BigNate »

OK - I'm spooling up to buy my first suppressor and I'm looking for some advice. I'm not sure if (or how well) what I want can be well satisfied by a single device - or if I need to buy a more specific devices for multiple purposes. I'm a fan of the "buy once cry once" philosophy on stuff like this - and I'm also a "value shopper." Read these to mean, I'm not afraid of spending money to get a quality product and better result, but I don't want to spend 6X the money for a product that is 5% better whe the less expensive product meets my needs. The odds of my life depending on this device are fairly small (I'm not going to war with it - as far as I know - and I'm not part of any SWAT team). If the answer is: "go buy a SilencerCo Hybrid 46M and don't look back" - I'm good with it - as long as the clear consensus is that it is truly worth them money compared to a lesser model - and I'm not going to instantly wish I'd bought a cheaper .46 capable suppressor and then something specific to the precision rifle...

The stuff that it will be used on as soon as it arrives are:
  • 8.6 blk SBR AR-10 - shooting subsonic loads
  • .350 legend SBR AR-15 - shooting subsonic loads
  • .300 blk AR-15 - shooting subsonic loads
I'm going to be building an entry level LR rifle - probably in 7PRC (not locked in yet) and possibly another in 6ARC. I'd like to be able to use it on these as well - for match shooting . If the answer is that even the best "do it all" suppressor will negatively impact accuracy of a match gun to a much greater degree than a caliber specific suppressor - then I want to know that.

So - what I THINK I want / need...
NEEDS (well... minimum must haves anyway - as far as I know)
  • Rifle rated to include magnum calibers through at least .338
  • Quick Disconnect / Connect capability
  • QD muzzle devices available for a variety of threads including M18X1.5 (the first thing that "needs" the suppressor has that barrel thread)
  • A quality device that is meant to last a lifetime and that has a reputable company and strong warranty behind it
  • Rugged enough that I don't need to worry about mag-dumping 20 - 30 rounds through it. I doubt I'll ever own a select fire weapon - so I don't think that I "need" a full auto rated device - but I don't want to tiptoe around it when out shooting with friends.
  • Sufficient sound suppression that I can reasonably rifle hunt without hearing protection and shoot suppressor only matches (I have no allusions that I'm going to have a whisper quiet .338LM through it - but being able to hunt in the woods without worrying about putting in ears for a single shot is a goal)
WANTS (second tier stuff ranging from nice to have and up - ordered by how badly I think I want it - higher in the list is more important to me)
  • Capable of use on a precision bolt action rifle (this one is "harder" in that I understand that there are higher end suppressors that either by design, or simply manufacturing quality, are better suited for precision rifle type shooting - but I truly don't know whether I can get something that can service both that need - and still have the modularity / flexibility that I want)
  • Capable of being used on PCC guns and possibly pistols if I can get a modular device.
So - what would you look at if you were me?

omegaman

Re: Suppressor Questions

Post by omegaman »

The bore hole size makes little difference when using on a smaller cal bullet. The quick disconnect is for full operators only and requires a bunch of extra range gear like a drop holster, helmet etc... If I could only have one it would be in the larger bore size. I think your on the right track getting something in the .46 . It won't matter soon the nfa twitches will start and you'll promise yourself this will be the last one you'll buy....
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

This doesn't directly help you this go around...but I had inquired with SiCo a while back if my Octane45(pistol suppressor) could handle rifle subs, specifically the 350L. The answer was yes, but in a 16" barrel. My question wasn't framed around an SBR, they just offered the 16" in the reply.

The recommendation from them for anything that bore size, and full power, was the Hybrid 46 or the Omega 36M.

I also have a Saker762 that bounces back and for between my 16" 556, and my 8.5" 300BO. The QD is nice...
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

omegaman wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:30 pm The bore hole size makes little difference when using on a smaller cal bullet. The quick disconnect is for full operators only and requires a bunch of extra range gear like a drop holster, helmet etc... If I could only have one it would be in the larger bore size. I think your on the right track getting something in the .46 . It won't matter soon the nfa twitches will start and you'll promise yourself this will be the last one you'll buy....
OK - help a fella out... I've got a dry sense of humor that my wife says some folks don't get... I'm pretty sure that I'm on the other end of that with the "drop holster, helmet etc..." comment. If I've missed something please set me straight. :D

My rationale on the QD stuff is the ability to easily move the suppressor between guns on range day - without pulling out wrenches, or mounting a bench vice to the tailgate. I'm working on the assumption that threading it on to each gun directly is something that I don't want to do in the field. Am I missing something here? As to the "nfa twitches..." You are 100% correct... they've already started... They started with the first form 1 which led to three form 1s... trying to figure out how to maximize the value that I can get out of the suppressor so that I can put more into the next stamped pew pew...

Thanks - had found that one - and I know that SilencersShop has a good reputation - but I also know that vendors tend to pimp the product that makes them the most money (not that that's an entirely bad thing - just looking for other opinions...)
XJThrottle wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:59 pm This doesn't directly help you this go around...but I had inquired with SiCo a while back if my Octane45(pistol suppressor) could handle rifle subs, specifically the 350L. The answer was yes, but in a 16" barrel. My question wasn't framed around an SBR, they just offered the 16" in the reply.

The recommendation from them for anything that bore size, and full power, was the Hybrid 46 or the Omega 36M.

I also have a Saker762 that bounces back and for between my 16" 556, and my 8.5" 300BO. The QD is nice...
Thanks... yeah - I'd like to think that a 1050FPS SBR bullet and a 1150 9mm bullet would look pretty similar to the suppressor - despite the length of barrel... but maybe I'm not considering the amount of burning powder, pressures, etc... Honestly the Hybrid 46M or Omega 36M were / are the frontrunners in my search and if the bigger hole does not hurt accuracy for the smaller projectile - I honestly think I'll chase the 46M. I don't really have anything that I'd use it on today, but if were to stumble on a USP Tactical or a threaded barrel 45-70 lever gun - well - having the suppressor that can screw on to the thing gives me one more reason that I need to buy it... :-)
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

BigNate wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 1:49 pm
XJThrottle wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:59 pm This doesn't directly help you this go around...but I had inquired with SiCo a while back if my Octane45(pistol suppressor) could handle rifle subs, specifically the 350L. The answer was yes, but in a 16" barrel. My question wasn't framed around an SBR, they just offered the 16" in the reply.

Thanks... yeah - I'd like to think that a 1050FPS SBR bullet and a 1150 9mm bullet would look pretty similar to the suppressor - despite the length of barrel... but maybe I'm not considering the amount of burning powder, pressures, etc... Honestly the Hybrid 46M or Omega 36M were / are the frontrunners in my search and if the bigger hole does not hurt accuracy for the smaller projectile - I honestly think I'll chase the 46M. I don't really have anything that I'd use it on today, but if were to stumble on a USP Tactical or a threaded barrel 45-70 lever gun - well - having the suppressor that can screw on to the thing gives me one more reason that I need to buy it... :-)
From what I understand, the larger hole won't affect the accuracy of a smaller round, but it does not suppress as well because of the space between the round and the baffle allows gases to escape passed it.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

XJThrottle wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 1:56 pm
BigNate wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 1:49 pm

From what I understand, the larger hole won't affect the accuracy of a smaller round, but it does not suppress as well because of the space between the round and the baffle allows gases to escape passed it.
Good to hear. I was sort of assuming the same. Again - not an operator - so if it is slightly louder to the front and maybe has a slightly worse signature I'm thinking the tradeoff is probably worth it...
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

You probably couldn't hear the difference in running a .45 can on a 9mm you would need a expensive meter to tell. The muzzle devices that thread quick can add up to a bit of $ if you put them on all your guns. or you can just get 1/2-28 , 5/8-24 and a LID/Nielsen device to cover most your rifles/pistols. The load makes all the difference in noise as well I have loaded .308 with 180gr that are movie quiet out a 9mm can.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Given your criteria, I'd get the Sico Omega 36M or the Diligent Defense DTF 8.6.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I’d get a sico hybrid 46. Checks off pretty much everything on your list. Rifle rated for all the calibers you mention. Been very happy with mine. Big but works on everything.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I shoot 9mm through my Rugged Obsidian 45...no difference in db reduction if I use the .45 endcap or the 9mm endcap...but the tone of the sound is different...slightly less sharp in tone. I just keep the 45 endcap on all the time.

Shooting 223 through my AAC 762-SD makes a slight difference in db reduction, but nothing your ear can pick up...you'd need a meter.

If you are shooting super sonic rounds with out hearing protection, your ears are going to ring for sure. But once isn't going to kill you. I'd still want ears, honestly. Shooting 2750fps 5.56mm suppressed isn't hearing safe, with my Surefire 5.56 or my AAC 7.62 attached. Can I shoot without ears? Yes, and I have while coyote hunting. But my ears ring a little bit.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks all... great info... I'm looking at what is available. I think I'm settled on getting the Hybrid 46M if I can find one... If not - I'll work down the list.

QuietM4 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 8:39 pm If you are shooting super sonic rounds with out hearing protection, your ears are going to ring for sure. But once isn't going to kill you.
I've got no plans to shoot supersonic stuff without hearing protection at the range. If I'm in a hunting situation where things are not rushed I'd put ears in as well - but being able to react quickly to something in the woods and touch off a round without worrying about 160+ decibels at the eardrum is the idea behind using it in that space.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Jack Dupp wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 8:15 pm Given your criteria, I'd get the Sico Omega 36M or the Diligent Defense DTF 8.6.
I’d do this.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I own a half dozen cans, one is the Omega 36M. We sell suppressors at our shop in Wickenburg the 36M is a pretty good choice but, if you need to do 45 then I would consider the the larger Hybrid 46 Those are out of stock in most places right now, I am waiting on getting one in for a customer of mine right now.. Price wise I can normally match or beat Silencerco.. You stopped in our shop last year..
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Cmoor wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 6:55 pm I own a half dozen cans, one is the Omega 36M. We sell suppressors at our shop in Wickenburg the 36M is a pretty good choice but, if you need to do 45 then I would consider the the larger Hybrid 46 Those are out of stock in most places right now, I am waiting on getting one in for a customer of mine right now.. Price wise I can normally match or beat Silencerco.. You stopped in our shop last year..
Thanks sir - I'll give you a ring...