SBR worth the $200 and hassle?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
CGSteve
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: SBR worth the $200 and hassle?

Post by CGSteve »

Yes for me as well so long as I have the extra money to spend.

The legal definition of "pistol" that is not a handgun is just arbitrarily made by the ATF. In reality, it is a rifle without a stock.

As a shooter or for people that carry a long arm or SMG for their work, a rifle without a stock is impractical and not much fun.

As a collector, it looks absolutely stupid when you see classic military/LE firearms without stocks, or elongated barrels.

Mind you, most of this sentiment is also from before braces were a thing. I shouldered a "pistol" with a brace and it didn't feel bad, but at the end of the day you want stocks dedicated to that firearm and you want to have options as well.

Desertfox01
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Desertfox01 »

SBR all the way. I am actually getting ready to do Another - they are like Doritos, You can not stop with just one!!!

And Thanks for the Recommendations (Molon Labe), Always enjoy seeing the toys. Glad The "New" sight is back up.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I just bought an SBR lower (transfering on a form 4) from Quentin Defense. Thanks for feedback everyone, I'm stoked to build my first SBR.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

My upper should be on the porch today!
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have several SBR's and i would not do it again. You can take an AR pistol anywhere in the states, an SBR you have to inform ATF if you take it across state lines, some places its possibly not legal at all. The wait sucks and its very hard to sell later. No one wants to buy an SBR and wait a year to take possession of it after paying you. I have a few SBR AK's there nearly impossible to sell because it cost so much to have them built. Now you can buy an AK pistol for 500.00 slap a brace on it and done. To build a true SBR AK your into the 1000 plus range. The only issue with the pistols is like the others have said that whole interpretation may go away making the pistol thing like it used to be before braces. Stupid.....
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

No. Not worth it at all. $200 and have to ask permission?? No thanks.

I will just.do AR pistols.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Here's the issue with that that I've seen. If you want to shoot any of these competitively, a rifle is a rifle and a pistol is a pistol by category. That means just because you like to use your AR pistol for things that you normally would use a rifle for, does not mean you can.
Robertsm

Post by Robertsm »

h8pvmnt wrote: August 30th, 2018, 10:30 am I have several SBR's and i would not do it again. You can take an AR pistol anywhere in the states, an SBR you have to inform ATF if you take it across state lines, some places its possibly not legal at all. The wait sucks and its very hard to sell later. No one wants to buy an SBR and wait a year to take possession of it after paying you. I have a few SBR AK's there nearly impossible to sell because it cost so much to have them built. Now you can buy an AK pistol for 500.00 slap a brace on it and done. To build a true SBR AK your into the 1000 plus range. The only issue with the pistols is like the others have said that whole interpretation may go away making the pistol thing like it used to be before braces. Stupid.....
Just remember it’s only the lower receiver that is effected by being an SBR. So just figure “that’s your lower rcvr forever”. Swap the build over to pistol lower and put the sbr lower in the safe for another project down the road.
Not picking a side on the issue. Just don’t get wrapped in thinking that fancy trigger and upper are stuck in that sbr forever.
I must admit though. With all these “collapsible wrist braces” etc it really makes me wonder if I’ll bother doing anymore SBR’s.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

ducatilover wrote: August 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm I have both and it's better to sbr so you can shoulder the rifle instead of resting it on your cheek. That's the only advantage for me.

That being said the $200 isn't much. The waiting period is what bites. If you don't mind waiting then do it. You will probably spend just as much on a pistol brace.
You can legally shoulder a buffer tube with no problems. On top of that, if you want to travel with the ar pistol it's easier then traveling with a SBR
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

SBR is a waste of money In my opinion. You are just adding more of a head ache to that weapon. You want to leave the state with it , you need to inform ATFE about it. You want to sell it, the other person needs to transfer it to them. To much hassle.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I feel like one SBR is a good backup for all the pistols you're building that could easily drop out of favor with one change in administration and subsequent ATF opinion. Nice to know I have something to do with all those uppers in that event.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

If you think they won't go after SBRs after doing away with certain pistols your wrong. Once they start the ball rolling it wont stop.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I don't doubt that. But it will take more effort than just a simple change on an opinion paper.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

Your money spend it how you want. My last 2 customers doing SBRS came back in less than 2 months for the approval. Being able to use a legit stock and make the rifle as comfortable as I want is worth the 200 bucks. If you plan on having 50 $300 palmetto guns then just keep them as pistols but if you actually use it a lot then SBR one or two and be happy. It's not a big deal to travel or fly with NFA stuff and most the people complaining probably never have. I travel with our rifles and suppressors a few times a year and sending out ATF notices aren't a big deal. I personally hate doing the pistol brace garbage. Spend $200 once and then have all the pistol/SBR uppers you want until you find one or five that make you happy on it.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I ended up doing 2 F1 SBRs. One is currently a 300BO w/ Saker 762. The other is a 22LR CMMG conversion with F1 Suppressor.

Having to spend $800 extra bucks to be "able" to do it is pretty lame, Pistols braces are a higher tier of lame, IMO.