22 rimfire suppressors

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

22 rimfire suppressors

Post by XJThrottle »

I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 22 rimfire suppressor in the very near future. Which one(s) should I look at? Monocore or stacked?

I've read a few online reveiws, and they seem to be all over the place.

I'm mostly concerned with db level and price. I won't be shooting it more than 100'. So, the POI shift that some see at 100 yards isn't going to really be a problem for me....as long as it isn't like 10moa.

What'cha got?

edit: changed to "rimfire"

SupahG33K
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 22 rimfire suppressors

Post by SupahG33K »

I've had my SiCo Sparrow for about 1.5 years and I'm quite pleased with it. I've run it on a P22, a couple Ruger 22/45s (my Lite loves it) and my Savage FV-SR (all of which, by the way, I got from AZS members). It's a mono-core, pretty easy to clean and size and weight are excellent. I don't have any other rimfire cans to compare it to though so my experience is limited there. My only regret, as it was my first can, was that I didn't get a larger multi-caliber can first, then a dedicated rimfire can. But that's not the can's fault at all! I've run Gemtech subs, Eley subs and supers, Aguila subs and supers and CCI mini mags through it. The only weapon I've seen significant POI shift on was the Savage at 50+ yards, but I haven't tried the mini-mags in that yet.

<edit> I bought the can through Merchant
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Thanks for the reply. The Sparrow was one that I was eyeing.

I have a SiCo Saker 762 and an Octane 45 waiting on stamps, so I'm good for center fire stuff.
Muzap
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Muzap »

I have a Sparrow, a Dead Air Mask, and two Element IIs (and one more Element II in NFA jail). The sparrow has a noticeable first round pop on handguns. The Mask is not nearly as noticeable and the Element is pretty much first round pop free, in addition to weighing only 4.1 ounces.
If you're only going to shoot the Sparrow on rifles, it's great. Easy to clean, quiet and built like a tank. If you're going to shoot it on pistol, I'd recommend a Mask or Element II (if you can find one, as they're going out of production), or any quality steel K-baffle can from a reputable manufacturer. The only down side to the Mask is that it's a bit heavier at 6.6 ounces, which difference is noticeable on handguns.
As a general rule, it seems that monocore cans are much more prone to the first-round-pop issue on pistols, than K-baffle cans. And I'd recommend avoiding aluminum, as it's problematic to clean off the inevitable lead fouling on any aluminum part.
Last edited by Muzap on August 5th, 2018, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I also have a Sparrow that I'm happy with. It's a good design, easy disassembly for cleaning. It's great on pistols and rifles. I usually use Federal bulk packs and don't need hearing protection. On a bolt action with sub sonic it's bb gun quiet. There may be better options, but I think you'll be happy with the Sparrow.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

How difficult are the aluminum baffled units to clean? Is there a chemical that will help dissolve the lead, but not damage the aluminum?
Muzap

Post by Muzap »

XJThrottle wrote: August 6th, 2018, 3:45 pm How difficult are the aluminum baffled units to clean? Is there a chemical that will help dissolve the lead, but not damage the aluminum?
As far as I know, there's no chemical way to remove lead fouling from aluminum baffles. It's manual labor with brushes and picks. Even ultrasonic is not recommended for aluminum, not that it does much good with lead deposits anyway. Tumbling is also not a good idea with aluminum. I've read in a couple of other forums that soda blasting works. But it's beyond me why anyone would put themselves through that kind of labor with all the quality stainless cans available, that can be cleaned easily by tumbling or dipping.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I will use this 99% of the time on a rifle to pop pests. One, maybe two shots, at a time. So, FRP is something I'd like to avoid. If I'm running it on a pistol I will be going through a bunch of ammo out in the dez.

Would also like something that is rated for the 5.7x28 round. That FN57 looks fun.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I went with the dead air mask. It's hard to decide just based on videos and what other people say, but everything I read about it seemed positive. Here's a video showing first round pop from various suppressors. It's from Dead Air, so I guess take it with a grain of salt, but several of the numbers can be confirmed from videos of tests done by 3rd parties.

XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Funny, I watched that video before I checked back on this thread.

I was already kinda leaning toward the Mask, might have made up my mind.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Thunder Beast Arm makes the best cans around. Their 22can is incredibly quiet too. The company has the best customer service in the business, that is very important to me.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

So, I've pretty much settled on the Mask.
Who has the best price? Places to search?
My other NFA stuff has been through C2. If you purchase through them you can use it while in jail. But, I don't even have the gun for it done yet. So if I can save some cash (not have to pay tax..) I'd be OK with that.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Get one you can clean, rimfire suppressors get super dirty. The Thunder Beast 22 Take-Down is the best and quietest I have ever used or been around. They also have the absolute best customer service in the industry.