New "superalloy" for 3D printing invented for turbine blades - also well suited to suppressors

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

New "superalloy" for 3D printing invented for turbine blades - also well suited to suppressors

Post by Suck My Glock »

I was just reading this tech article on a new "superalloy" metal devised specifically for 3D printing high-stress components for gas turbines.

https://www.freethink.com/hard-tech/sup ... 3d-printed

As the article lays out, the powdered metal is a blend of 42% aluminum, 25% titanium, 13% niobium, 8% zirconium, 8% molybdenum, and 4% tantalum. When sintered into into micro-welded form, it is strong, lightweight, and incredibly heat resistant.

As the article explains, "These characteristics are especially important for the turbines used in power plants, which account for approximately 73% of all electricity generation worldwide. After all, the higher the temperature of the gas driving the turbines, the faster they spin and the more efficient they become.
When heated to 800°C (1472°F) — a common temperature in power plant turbines — this superalloy remained stronger and more lightweight than many others designed for a similar purpose. This breakthrough suggests potential applications beyond power turbines, particularly in aerospace where materials need to be strong, lightweight, and resistant to extreme temperature variations."

It dawned on me that this blended superalloy will be highly suited to use in fabrication of new 3D printed suppressor designs.

Keep an eye on new stuff in the suppressor pipeline in the future.

BigNate

Re: New "superalloy" for 3D printing invented for turbine blades - also well suited to suppressors

Post by BigNate »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 19th, 2023, 4:27 pm
It dawned on me that this blended superalloy will be highly suited to use in fabrication of new 3D printed suppressor designs.

Might be a good material... On the other hand... when I see "25% titanium, 13% niobium, 8% zirconium, 8% molybdenum, and 4% tantalum..." methinks that it's not a substance that is going to fit nicely into the budget of the guy looking to crank out some 3D printed toys...
Suck My Glock

Re: New "superalloy" for 3D printing invented for turbine blades - also well suited to suppressors

Post by Suck My Glock »

BigNate wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 2:45 pm
Suck My Glock wrote: June 19th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Might be a good material... On the other hand... when I see "25% titanium, 13% niobium, 8% zirconium, 8% molybdenum, and 4% tantalum..." methinks that it's not a substance that is going to fit nicely into the budget of the guy looking to crank out some 3D printed toys...
Yes, but then anyone who can afford to own a 3D printer of metal ($100,000+) can afford more than someone who can only afford to 3D print plastic. I'm thinking this would be a commercial endeavor, at least for now. Maybe in 10 years the metal 3D printers might be affordable for a regular guy, but not now.
kawgomoo
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by kawgomoo »

a laser sintering machine is alot more than 100k lmao.