AR Pistol w/ no brace

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
OMart
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR Pistol w/ no brace

Post by OMart »

I have been trying to find info on this but am hitting walls, in addition I am really tired. I heard someone say to day that is the current ATF ruling on the brace is a SBR stands, that an AR pistol with a standard buffer tube would also be considered an SBR. I can't understand logically how, but then again the alphabet agency rarely applies logic. I am talking about a standard AR pistol, like the one pictured
DBPistol.jpg
DBPistol.jpg (3.6 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

QuietM4

Re: AR Pistol w/ no brace

Post by QuietM4 »

There is a long winded explanation for this, but that particular example would be considered an SBR based on the new definition of a "rifle". Two of the new definitions are;
(v) The manufacturer’s direct and indirect marketing and promotional materials indicating the intended use of the weapon; and
(vi) Information demonstrating the likely use of the weapon in the general community.

The ATF is going to tell you there are ads from companies, or photos they have found, or that people have submitted to them, etc... that show a person using that exact rifle tube as a shouldering device. And then they are going to show you people who posted on the internet forums or in videos on youtube of people firing that exact pistol tube from the shoulder.

Oh, and this part of the definition;
(iv) Whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;

The foam increases the surface area.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

OMart the problem is that you’re applying your own logic instead of being a sheep and following conjecture and flawed interpretations from internet lawyers.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I have a feeling a lot of folks will be buying these until the court cases are settled.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ds-pistol/

Not sure if they're even made any more, but these will be popular as well.

And I have this one as well.

They also make short buffer tubes kits.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I might throw one of those shortie tubes on my 9mm.

It's currently a 16" carbine, but think I want to shorten it up. It's unwieldy with an 8" can on it.

Don't mind playing the ATF/NFA game, just not sure how much good faith I have in the ATF with this whole "amnesty" ordeal.

$200 for piece of mind is pretty cheap all considered.