Looks like ATF is going after LEOs who sign off on "demo letters" too often for their tastes

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Looks like ATF is going after LEOs who sign off on "demo letters" too often for their tastes

Post by Suck My Glock »

kenpoprofessor

Re: Looks like ATF is going after LEOs who sign off on "demo letters" too often for their tastes

Post by kenpoprofessor »

And this is why you don't give special privileges or rights to people simply because of a job. LEOSA is unconstitutional prima facie as it does exactly that.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
xerts1911

Re: Looks like ATF is going after LEOs who sign off on "demo letters" too often for their tastes

Post by xerts1911 »

Hmmm 🤨
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The other shoe has dropped. ATF now intends to call every single LEO requester of a demo to verify they actually meant it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/01/atf-op ... z7qHGLPswM
C172 Heavy

Post by C172 Heavy »

It seems ATF has its druthers up and is going after all the loop holes both they and congress have created since 1934. The Bruen ruling really got their attention. I was in Vegas during the stratospheric rise of the "Shoot a Machinegun" rental places. I knew of at least 3 that were either part owned or real close friends with local cops. They stocked their rental racks with all demo letter MGs. I know of one range officer who signed over 3 dozen demo letters for everything from M-4s to M249s to M240s to M60s, and on and on. They all got shot for the range staff on one day after coming in then went right to the rental place. Sure they had a SOT on their FFLs and built a couple of the more easily assembled MGs, but all the real good stuff was on demo letters. ATF knows what is going on and it appears they are going to start moving on Post-86 stuff. They feel emboldened by the current admin and are not going to go quietly into that goodnight.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Aaaaaaand another one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maryland-s ... al-scheme/

U.S.
Maryland sheriff, gun shop owner indicted for machine gun rental scheme

By Kerry Breen

April 5, 2023 / 3:47 PM / CBS News

A Maryland sheriff who has held office since 2006 and a gun shop owner were indicted on charges of conspiracy and false statements in order to acquire and rent machine guns, federal officials announced on Wednesday.

Sheriff Charles Austin Jenkins, 66, and businessman Robert Justin Krop, 36, both of Maryland, were indicted by a federal grand jury. The charges were announced by Erek L. Barron, the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland, and Toni M. Crosby, the special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Baltimore Field Division.

The six-count indictment alleges that from August 2015 to May 2022, Jenkins and Krop "conspired to unlawfully purchase" machine guns and falsified documents on Frederick County Sheriff's Office letterhead to request the machine guns for "evaluation and demonstration" by the office. Krop drafted these documents for Jenkins to sign, the indictment alleges.

Krop is the principal owner and operator of firearms-related businesses in Frederick County, where Jenkins is the sheriff. Krop's businesses allowed him to possess and deal in machine guns. Jenkins and Krop allegedly rented the machine guns to paying customers. The indictment also alleges that Krop illegally possessed seven machine guns and that his business offered Jenkins political support.

A call to Jenkins' phone, as listed on the Frederick County Sheriff's Office website, was not answered. A public information officer for the sheriff's office said there would be a press conference addressing the indictment Wednesday afternoon.

U.S.
Maryland sheriff, gun shop owner indicted for machine gun rental scheme

By Kerry Breen

April 5, 2023 / 3:47 PM / CBS News

A Maryland sheriff who has held office since 2006 and a gun shop owner were indicted on charges of conspiracy and false statements in order to acquire and rent machine guns, federal officials announced on Wednesday.

Sheriff Charles Austin Jenkins, 66, and businessman Robert Justin Krop, 36, both of Maryland, were indicted by a federal grand jury. The charges were announced by Erek L. Barron, the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland, and Toni M. Crosby, the special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Baltimore Field Division.

The six-count indictment alleges that from August 2015 to May 2022, Jenkins and Krop "conspired to unlawfully purchase" machine guns and falsified documents on Frederick County Sheriff's Office letterhead to request the machine guns for "evaluation and demonstration" by the office. Krop drafted these documents for Jenkins to sign, the indictment alleges.

Krop is the principal owner and operator of firearms-related businesses in Frederick County, where Jenkins is the sheriff. Krop's businesses allowed him to possess and deal in machine guns. Jenkins and Krop allegedly rented the machine guns to paying customers. The indictment also alleges that Krop illegally possessed seven machine guns and that his business offered Jenkins political support.

A call to Jenkins' phone, as listed on the Frederick County Sheriff's Office website, was not answered. A public information officer for the sheriff's office said there would be a press conference addressing the indictment Wednesday afternoon.

If convicted, Jenkins and Krop face a maximum sentence of five years in prison for conspiracy, false statements in records maintained by a federal firearms licensee, and for false statements to federal law enforcement. Krop could also face a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison for unlawful possession of machine guns.

No court date is scheduled for Jenkins or Krop at this time, federal officials said.