Galil Ace 2 5.45x39 + Liberty Constitution Suppressor

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
pointside
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Galil Ace 2 5.45x39 + Liberty Constitution Suppressor

Post by pointside »

So I have a Galil Ace 2 5.45x39 pistol with a 8.3" barrel:

https://iwi.us/product/gap70sb/

I'd like to use it with the Liberty Constitution 556 suppressor that the ATF finally let me have last month after a 13 month wait. :roll:

https://libertycans.net/centerfire-rifl ... stitution/

The issue is that Liberty requires a minimum barrel length of 10.3", but the Galil pistol barrel is only 8.3". Can someone tell me if that only applies to 556/223 or if it would also apply to 5.45x39? I know they have similar grain weights and ballistics so I'm guessing I can't do it.

It looks cool but not wanting to cause a catastrophic failure at the range.

delta6

Re: Galil Ace 2 5.45x39 + Liberty Constitution Suppressor

Post by delta6 »

5.45X39 pressure is around 55K. The 5.56 pressure is around 56-58K and the .223 is around 54-55K, my guess would be, don't do it.
pointside

Post by pointside »

delta6 wrote: April 5th, 2022, 5:13 pm 5.45X39 pressure is around 55K. The 5.56 pressure is around 56-58K and the .223 is around 54-55K, my guess would be, don't do it.
Agreed, thanks. I don't want to find out what happens. I have a Rugged Razor currently in jail at my FFL that has no barrel length restrictions. 🙃
hardmack

Post by hardmack »

Hey boys,

chamber pressure has nothing to do with suppressor barrel length restrictions. The restrictions come mostly from warranty claims on baffle erosion from unburned powder, unstabilized bullets causing baffle strikes and a lot of CS calls because its not "hollywood" quiet.

A normal range trip with your ACE, youre just fine running your can... Make sure you flush the can with lots of water if youre running older corrosive 5.45
pointside

Post by pointside »

hardmack wrote: April 6th, 2022, 4:30 pm Hey boys,

chamber pressure has nothing to do with suppressor barrel length restrictions. The restrictions come mostly from warranty claims on baffle erosion from unburned powder, unstabilized bullets causing baffle strikes and a lot of CS calls because its not "hollywood" quiet.

A normal range trip with your ACE, youre just fine running your can... Make sure you flush the can with lots of water if youre running older corrosive 5.45
Thanks, so let me ask your opinion on another scenario: what about running a Sig MCX Rattler in 300 bo with a Gemtech GM-9? Should be fine right even though the barrel length is only 5.5" since I can shoot 9mm through an even shorter barrel with this can? I realize I can only shoot subsonic 300 bo through this can per Gemtech's website.
hardmack

Post by hardmack »

300 is a great caliber for subs... with the gemtech, yes, ONLY SUBS though, you do have to worry about gas VOLUME, especially through pistol specific cans. I havent looked a liberty in awhile, if it has a replaceable front cap, Im sure they probably have .30 cal cap for it, which would be a quieter can (more volume) than the gm9 as well..

Cans are an addiction, I dont have a rifle or rimfire without one now.
pointside

Post by pointside »

hardmack wrote: April 6th, 2022, 9:15 pm 300 is a great caliber for subs... with the gemtech, yes, ONLY SUBS though, you do have to worry about gas VOLUME, especially through pistol specific cans. I havent looked a liberty in awhile, if it has a replaceable front cap, Im sure they probably have .30 cal cap for it, which would be a quieter can (more volume) than the gm9 as well..

Cans are an addiction, I dont have a rifle or rimfire without one now.
The Liberty unfortunately doesn't have a replaceable front cap, it's just one big heavy ass piece of 4140 alloy steel and not modular at all (but is user serviceable).

They definitely are addicting, I now have a Gemtech GM-9, Gemtech Trek II 556, Liberty Constitution 556, Rugged Razor 7.62, SilencerCo Sparrow 22, and a generic 22 suppressor. Ridiculously comfortable once you shoot suppressed and I don't regret a single one.