Selling a registered SBR

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
9x19mm
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Selling a registered SBR

Post by 9x19mm »

I did a search and didn't find a good answer. So how does one sell a registered sbr? I understand the buyer needs to apply for and get a stamp part. But logistically how do you do this? Is the buyer just supposed to trust the seller (me) to hold the gun after payment until they get the stamp? That seems an unlikely scenario for a Stranger to do.
I called a couple shops and they weren't interested and couldnt legally hold the weapon anyway. I'm really wanting the room in my safe for something new and have an sbr'ed AK I just never shoot.

h8pvmnt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Selling a registered SBR

Post by h8pvmnt »

Your scenario is exactly correct, you need to enter into an agreement to sell, the buyer has to pay you the money, they have to file the proper ATF forms and send the tax to ATF. Then you wait, you hold the rifle until the buyer gets the paperwork or doesn't. You would have to agree on terms for if the ATF rejected them etc. I bought an UZI this way and it was nerve racking to be out the money and have nothing in hand but it worked out in the end. In those days it took 30 days or less to get the paperwork back. Today it could be a long wait. You could also sell it to a SOT but likely the price would be very low as the market for SBR's is not that robust. If its possible to attach a permanent barrel extension (like a fake suppressor shroud) to it you could remove it from the registry and sell as a normal rifle. All options are not great. I stopped doing SBR's for this very reason, other than AR recievers or really special stuff no one wants to buy SBR's from individuals and if they do its not for what you have in them many times.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

h8pvmnt wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:41 pm Your scenario is exactly correct, you need to enter into an agreement to sell, the buyer has to pay you the money, they have to file the proper ATF forms and send the tax to ATF. Then you wait, you hold the rifle until the buyer gets the paperwork or doesn't. You would have to agree on terms for if the ATF rejected them etc. I bought an UZI this way and it was nerve racking to be out the money and have nothing in hand but it worked out in the end. In those days it took 30 days or less to get the paperwork back. Today it could be a long wait. You could also sell it to a SOT but likely the price would be very low as the market for SBR's is not that robust. If its possible to attach a permanent barrel extension (like a fake suppressor shroud) to it you could remove it from the registry and sell as a normal rifle. All options are not great. I stopped doing SBR's for this very reason, other than AR recievers or really special stuff no one wants to buy SBR's from individuals and if they do its not for what you have in them many times.

Yep, the easiest thing to do is to just take it off the NFA list and sell it. SBRs are common, give the guy the parts to do the ATF legwork if he wants it that bad.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
delta6

Post by delta6 »

What type of firearm?
This will dictate the options.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The OP said it was an SBR AK!
delta6

Post by delta6 »

h8pvmnt wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:14 pm The OP said it was an SBR AK!
I guess I should have been more explicit... is it (did it start as) an AK rifle or as an AK pistol?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

delta6 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:22 pm
h8pvmnt wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:14 pm The OP said it was an SBR AK!
I guess I should have been more explicit... is it (did it start as) an AK rifle or as an AK pistol?

Yep, had the same thought, just take the stock off and sell it. :D

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

True Duh... I was thinking in terms of my builds......
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

9x19mm wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:18 pm I did a search and didn't find a good answer. So how does one sell a registered sbr? I understand the buyer needs to apply for and get a stamp part. But logistically how do you do this? Is the buyer just supposed to trust the seller (me) to hold the gun after payment until they get the stamp? That seems an unlikely scenario for a Stranger to do.
I called a couple shops and they weren't interested and couldnt legally hold the weapon anyway. I'm really wanting the room in my safe for something new and have an sbr'ed AK I just never shoot.
Need more info. Is the SBR on a Form 4 or a Form 1?

F1; send a letter to the ATF requesting the gun be taken off the NFA Registry. Remove the stock, sell the gun as a pistol with some extra parts. New owner can register the gun on a Form 1.

F4; Person you are selling it to pays to store it at a place like Scottsdale Gun Club that offers secure storage in their vault. When the new Form 4 clears (which will be mailed to you as the Transferor), you meet at SGC, he hands you money, you hand him his stamped paperwork and the gun.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

QuietM4 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 2:03 pm
9x19mm wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:18 pm I did a search and didn't find a good answer. So how does one sell a registered sbr? I understand the buyer needs to apply for and get a stamp part. But logistically how do you do this? Is the buyer just supposed to trust the seller (me) to hold the gun after payment until they get the stamp? That seems an unlikely scenario for a Stranger to do.
Need more info. Is the SBR on a Form 4 or a Form 1?

F1; send a letter to the ATF requesting the gun be taken off the NFA Registry. Remove the stock, sell the gun as a pistol with some extra parts. New owner can register the gun on a Form 1.

F4; Person you are selling it to pays to store it at a place like Scottsdale Gun Club that offers secure storage in their vault. When the new Form 4 clears (which will be mailed to you as the Transferor), you meet at SGC, he hands you money, you hand him his stamped paperwork and the gun.
Why does it matters if it's an F1 or F4? If it's an F4 you can still request the removal from registry, remove the stock and sell the gun as a pistol. I did it last year with an AK SBR i had.
9x19mm

Post by 9x19mm »

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like removal from the registry and taking off the folder for sale as a pistole is the easiest route.
It was a M92pap that Derrick sbr'ed for me before he left.
Attachments
IMG_20210826_163656759.jpg
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

Great info, I have a SBS I would like to sell soon.
This was done with Derricks help on the paperwork as well.
Thanks for the question 9X19mm.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

QuietM4 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 2:03 pm F4; Person you are selling it to pays to store it at a place like Scottsdale Gun Club that offers secure storage in their vault. When the new Form 4 clears (which will be mailed to you as the Transferor), you meet at SGC, he hands you money, you hand him his stamped paperwork and the gun.
Not trying to be an ass here but does this work? We've had 2 SOTs in the past that "helped" on NFA items during transfers and did not log the items in. They played a game of "repairing" them, and that was one of the charges against them.

Not saying I'm an expert but I'm not sure that storing at SGC where they ultimately have control of an NFA item they shouldn't have will work.

I hope somebody with will chime in on this that knows. and PLEASE nobody from SGC, my experience with them is they know jack Shiat about firearms laws or they didn't care.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I sold a suppressor to another board member a while back. He paid me, I held it in my safe, ten minths later the paperwork arrived, I contacted him, we met, swapped, and deal done. I would not have considered involving a third party.