.22 Shorts and my Suppressor

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Pima Pants
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: .22 Shorts and my Suppressor

Post by Pima Pants »

smithers599 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:28 pm Just thinking out loud:

What causes a baffle strike is an unstable bullet, one that is "tipping" as it exits the rifling. I would think that if you shoot .22 Shorts out of your pistol without the suppressor, and you don't see any evidence of tipping on the paper target, then you're GTG with the suppressor. But if you see irregular bullet holes on the paper, you should not shoot that ammo through your suppressor.

Am I on the right track?
I believe you certainly are. Thanks.

Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

You have to take into account the suppressor baffles can change the bullet path as well.
Vortex, and aerodynamics can be changed by them, a slower bullet is of course affected more.
Some bullets don’t completely stabilize till past the barrel and in flight (bullet yaw).
Really, I can’t think of any reason to shoot a short out of a suppressor when there are more suitable .22 rounds specifically made for that use.
Suppressors work by trapping gasses, not by slowing the bullet, I’m thinking a short might actually be louder than a standard/subsonic velocity .22.
Plus, why use a cartridge not designed for your firearm to use, seems like a bad idea.
I can imaging the lead shavings and other build up that shooting shorts will do to your chamber.
Pima Pants

Post by Pima Pants »

Thanks for your response. You make many valid points.