How many unregistered silencer prosecutions?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

How many unregistered silencer prosecutions?

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/how-ma ... z6hkEtDjVM

I haven't read all the way through, but so far, all I see are crimes of possession, not actual use of a silenced firearm to shoot somebody.

Suck My Glock

Re: How many unregistered silencer prosecutions?

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yep, just like prior to 1934. No evidence at all was ever suggested or alluded to when suppressors were lumped in with machineguns. It was only after 1934 they ever started showing up in movies in the hands of bad guys.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

How many crimes have been committed using an unregistered machine gun? Short barreled rifle? AOW? DD?

How about crimes committed with any registered NFA item?

I'm guessing it is magnitudes fewer than crimes committed with a Hi Point, Jimenez, Bryco, etc.

But, no one is trying to ban cheap firearms. Just trying to ban the items no one commits crime with...solid politician logic. They are all either stupid or lying.
zold

Post by zold »

Last I heard, pistols were still indeed the most commonly used firearm in shootings. You could probably count on one hand the number of shootings involving a suppressed SBR.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

Funny thing is, the USSC in the 1930's ruled that:

1. Military firearms are the only firearms protected by the 2nd.

2. Silencers, submachineguns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns and machine rifles were allowed to be licensed because they WEREN'T particularly suited to military use. Remember, they were either invented after WWI, or weren't used by the military in WWI and were popular with the criminal element. The main purpose of the NFA was to go after the motor bandits of the era and OC figures in the big cities. It was another tool they could use if they couldn't be prosecuted for a violent crime.

There's a pretty good chance that, with today's SC makeup, the NFA would be overturned.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I've been carrying my legal supressor for years. I have a copy of my paperwork and stamp in my glove box and shooting bag. Never once, on an outdoor range, indoor range, or out shooting and being checked by wildlife officials has anyone ever asked to see my license.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

AZ Husker wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:21 pm I've been carrying my legal supressor for years. I have a copy of my paperwork and stamp in my glove box and shooting bag. Never once, on an outdoor range, indoor range, or out shooting and being checked by wildlife officials has anyone ever asked to see my license.
Similar here. I've been to C2 many times, with multiple suppressors. One clearly "homemade". Not one word from the RO. My water bottle on the other hand, did get unwanted attention... :?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

the smart ones know not to ask, however some ill informed idgits make a big deal out of the. its just a tool
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Gunslinger55

Post by Gunslinger55 »

Isn’t the only one who “could” ask a person in a law enforcement capacity particularly a fed? In all the years I had mine nada
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

XJThrottle wrote: January 5th, 2021, 6:25 am
AZ Husker wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:21 pm I've been carrying my legal supressor for years. I have a copy of my paperwork and stamp in my glove box and shooting bag. Never once, on an outdoor range, indoor range, or out shooting and being checked by wildlife officials has anyone ever asked to see my license.
Similar here. I've been to C2 many times, with multiple suppressors. One clearly "homemade". Not one word from the RO. My water bottle on the other hand, did get unwanted attention... :?
Man I haven't laughed like that in awhile. I want to make one!