Have braces become good enough to outweigh the hassle of transporting NFA SBR out of state?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Chris_Y
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Have braces become good enough to outweigh the hassle of transporting NFA SBR out of state?

Post by Chris_Y »

I don't currently own a pistol brace. Disregarding the whole possibility that ATF/law will change on bracers in the future. I have been kicking around the idea of SBR'ing another lower but am not sure if it's worth it with what I perceive to be the current pistol brace offerings. I travel out of state enough times where I'd want to take my current SBR but the hassle of notification makes it a no-go. Anyone own a brace and think it's not that much worse than an actual stock?

QuietM4

Re: Have braces become good enough to outweigh the hassle of transporting NFA SBR out of state?

Post by QuietM4 »

SBA3.
TIEFighterTK069

Re: Have braces become good enough to outweigh the hassle of transporting NFA SBR out of state?

Post by TIEFighterTK069 »

The SBA3 brace is perfectly functional, maintains pistol status - which is important for some state's travel requirements, and negates the need for paperwork and notifications. As you said, as long as the ATF bologna ceases and we can stay legal, there's zero reason (in my opinion and experience) not to use one for your stated purpose.
Personally I wasn't a fan of other braces, but as with anything, find the one that works for you.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I've got a Sig MPX 9MM with the 8" barrel and the brace.

Works as good as an adjustable stock on an AR...almost. Very close for me.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

QuietM4 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 10:31 pmSBA3.
+1
McKnight55

Post by McKnight55 »

What kind of maintenance issues ,if any, do braces create ?
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

no more than any other collapsible stock.
randall_dubya

Post by randall_dubya »

McKnight55 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm What kind of maintenance issues ,if any, do braces create ?
Braces themselves? When it comes to the SBA3, none really. Or as YNOTAZ mentioned, no more than any other typical collapsible AR furniture.

However, if further compactness for storage is the goal, and one were to get the LAW folder, the plug inserted into the bolt carrier does add one more step to splitting the upper from the lower, but that's about it. Aside from some of the quick take-down AR platforms, or the FoldAR types, a pistol length 300BLK AR with a folding brace is hard to beat when it comes to blending compactness with ballistic advantage at a decent price. If weighing ammo costs/availability as more important than ballistics, a 5.56 or 9mm variety would likely fit the bill nicely too.

Edited to add: Be advised, if combining a brace with a LAW folder, one may want to research the ATF's guidelines on length-of-pull restrictions of braced pistols. Especially if you're interested in travelling between states with said firearm.
randall_dubya

Post by randall_dubya »

AZ1182 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 8:41 pmDepends on the barrel lengths to be honest here. Less than 11.5, then 300 or 9x19 wins this game but 300 has the advantage of a tiny bit of a longer more effective range than a 9. But 11.5 and longer, hands down 223/5.56 wins the ballistics game. Costs have nothing to do with it, it's all a matter of science really.
Precisely, barrel length is a key factor. Whereabouts along the sliding scale of compactness vs ballistic advantage does one want to be?

As a side note though, a person's budget and/or personal priorities may beg to differ about costs having nothing to do with a decision being made. Sure, cost of ammo has nothing to do with how two different rounds compare on a ballistics level, but it definitely plays a part in whether or not a person is willing to buy a particular firearm! Not to mention purchase availability (recent droughts aside), weight, magazine capacity, etc. Pros and cons to everything, fitting the hardware to the purpose is the important thing in my opinion.
randall_dubya

Post by randall_dubya »

Solid points all around, especially regarding training.

Haha, the exclamation wasn't so much yelling as simply emphasizing the idea. Perhaps adding a smiley may have helped? 8-) Apologies if it was interpreted as aggression, that's not my style. Was just acknowledging that 300BLK ain't cheap compared to 5.56! Or well, at least that's how it used to be... Haven't checked prices or availability lately, but seems like everything has been sold out, so I guess that's a moot point temporarily?

Overall it seems like we're saying the same things via different terms. Neither of us has been speaking in absolutes as far as I can tell? :think:

100% agreed that it all comes down to what a person is comfortable with. Functionality goals, storage space requirements, ergonomics, magazine compatibility and capacity, initial purchase cost, maintenance, ammunition pricing, weight, reliability, effective range, the list goes on and on and on...

TLDR: Chalk up another vote for the SBA3.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

This seems to be a fairly contentious issue and I wasn't going to post, but I don't agree (in my personal situation) with the majority here. So here's MY perspective, so take it for what it's worth (nothing).

If you go pistol brace, I agree that the SBA3 is the only viable option. I have one for exactly the reason you said: travel. I run a 8.5" 300 BLK upper, using 220 gr subs (12.1 gr CFE BLK) with the can, and 150 gr soft points for a little longer engagement.

I don't care for the brace. The parts that go over your arm that form what would be the stock are rubber. They do twist and bend under pressure. Training with target transitions is when it's most noticeable, to me. I can feel it collapse and shift and it's unsettling when you're shooting that fast at multiple targets. AZ1182 mentioned about cheek weld, which I agree with but you can train around, but I can't overcome the collapsing rubber. I do tend to keep that rifle in a strangle hold (it's little!!) in a way I don't when I am shooting for precision.

This is the one I would grab in a bad environment, so it gets the most training. Train how you fight, and if there were no ATF, or in lawless situation, you'd put a stock on it, not keep the brace.

So in my fairly useless opinion, SBR for home and training, and as you mentioned, SBA3 for travel. I only use the brace occasionally to keep some familiarity with it. Mostly because I don't travel, only in dire need.
mikeh
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by mikeh »

I have a CZ Evo Scorpion with a brace and I love it. I use it with a red dot scope and it's becoming my favorite firearm. I'm in the process of getting a suppressor for it. Would love to hear if anyone else has gotten one and what they think. I've researched a few manufacturers.