Bill introduced to remove SBRs and SBSs and AOWs from the NFA

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bill introduced to remove SBRs and SBSs and AOWs from the NFA

Post by Suck My Glock »

In response to the Biden admin plan to butt slam owners of pistol braces, Senator Roger Marshall of Kansas has introduced legislation that would remove short barrelled rifles and shotguns and Any Other Weapons from the National Firearms Act, leaving only machineguns, silencers and destructive devices regulated by the NFA.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/09/29/roge ... amendment/

campinginaz

Re: Bill introduced to remove SBRs and SBSs and AOWs from the NFA

Post by campinginaz »

I would love to see this pass. I've never understood (other than gun control) a tax stamp for barrel length, even though I've paid it.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Absolute waste of time. How about some PRACTICAL legislation like making the BATFE rescind their ruling that original barrels in parts kits have to be chopped up or UNIVERSAL CCW law.

PS-Keep sending me those “Private Messages” folks! I don’t read them but I am trying to hit 100 rants!
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are some people still waiting for the Hearing Protection Act to be re-introduced and passed. This new bill will suffer the same fate.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

QuietM4 wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:45 pm I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are some people still waiting for the Hearing Protection Act to be re-introduced and passed. This new bill will suffer the same fate.
Unfortunately, I have to agree, I can only hope that after a couple more years we might have a better chance.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Desert Rat wrote: September 30th, 2022, 7:07 pm
QuietM4 wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:45 pm I wouldn't hold your breath.

Unfortunately, I have to agree, I can only hope that after a couple more years we might have a better chance.
Fingers crossed for the mid-terms.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:59 pm

So you think putting the other party, the Republican'ts, in control is better??? They will drag their feet all the way to the grave before any of this gets passed or made into law. They offer their verbal platitudes and renege on everything they say.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

This and any other pro-2a legislation is nothing but words. It is never going to happen, no matter how nice it sounds.

Our "representatives" will never give up a shred of their control, or a dollar of their imposed "taxes" so I don't see this EVER happening.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Well, we all know that the demoncrats will strip the 2A. At least with republican'ts, we can hope that they will be slower at it.
There may be some hope with the more recent crop of republicans, I think they are a little further away from being a rino. At least for now.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Desert Rat wrote: October 1st, 2022, 1:29 pm Well, we all know that the demoncrats will strip the 2A. At least with republican'ts, we can hope that they will be slower at it.
There may be some hope with the more recent crop of republicans, I think they are a little further away from being a rino. At least for now.
I tend to agree with this - and with what Clyde said above. I think that there are a small group of constitutional conservative republicans that will earnestly attempt to move stuff forward. I don't think they'll be able to do so as long as McConnell has power. My hope is with SCOTUS. We've had some recent victories, Bruen for one, that give me hope.

Additionally, a couple of the 2A vloggers that I follow are looking at the tea leaves and think that there might be a play coming whereby SCOTUS seriously neuters the administrative branch by gutting some precedence that has become known as the Chevron Doctrine which is some foundational administrative law on which the power of the federal agencies (ATF for one) rests (nerds may read more about it https://ballotpedia.org/Chevron_deference_(doctrine)).

In short - they are predicting that, like the recent decision by a federal judge in North TX, where he issued a stay of the ATF's "Final Rule" on ghost gun kits saying essentially "hey ATF - you don't get to expand your authority by saying that you now define an 80% lower as a 'gun'..." SCOTUS might much more broadly the same thing through reversal of the Chevron Doctrine.

According to some of these thinkers, if SCOTUS reversed / abandons Chevron Doctrine, it would have a HUGE impact in terms of neutering the ATF, EPA, FDA, etc. because they would no longer be able to warp the definition of things to force those things into the space that Congress gave them to control. In essence - congress would have to say explicitly - "this, and only this, is what you control." Not perfect - but it sure would bring functional power closer to being controlled by the voter.

We'll see.
DM47

Post by DM47 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:39 am

So you think putting the other party, the Republican'ts, in control is better??? They will drag their feet all the way to the grave before any of this gets passed or made into law. They offer their verbal platitudes and renege on everything they say.

Clyde
Far better than the Demonrats. Pick your poison.

No reason not to pressure your legislators, no matter who their daddy is.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

DM47 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 3:06 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:39 am

Clyde
Far better than the Demonrats. Pick your poison.

No reason not to pressure your legislators, no matter who their daddy is.

Swamp creatures gonna be swamp creatures, there's not the slightest chance in hell this will ever get past the first committee meeting regardless of who's in majority. They are being lobbied, and whoever pays the most wins. We don't have FU money to make these things happen.

Clyde