MAS 49-56 info request

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
Kwisak
New to ArizonaShooting.org

MAS 49-56 info request

Post by Kwisak »

Hello Guys,
Recently came across a MAS 49-56 and decided to pick it up since I felt the price was right for it 6 mags and various other gear. Figured before I messed with it too much I would ask anything I need to know? All I have seen so far is Ian’s video on it around the various features and possible slam fire.
Mas
Mas

Solar_Empire
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: MAS 49-56 info request

Post by Solar_Empire »

Check the left side of the receiver and make sure it is still chambered in its original 7.5x54 French. Century converted a lot of these to .308 and they are garbage. They re-stamped "7.62" over the 7.5. Not trying to insult you or anything, but sometimes people get excited and overlook that.

I would definitely recommend a firing pin replacement. The French used extremely hard primers on their military ammunition but modern primers are a lot softer. These guys are the go to for a replacement firing pin. https://murraysguns.com/product/mas-495 ... g-pin-kit/

The French never chrome lined their bores. So just make sure you do the preventative maintenance after firing, especially if you fire milsurp ammo.

That's pretty much it. There's nothing else much to it. PPU make 7.5x54 ammo on a semi regular basis.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, yeah tell the thousands who got shot with one in a little joint called vietnam, suckers were everywhere and used with excellent success.

fun shooter, if using corrosive , yip do the clean up, little amonia based cleaner and a swab or two, and ya saved the day. :lol:
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

If its a century job 7.62x51/308. They fu**ed it up.
The gas system is too short. It'll jam regularly.
The chambers are kinda rough on many. The gas system needs to be adjustable but isnt. It will try to extract while still under pressure and lock up. Both with brass and steel in my experience.
The original 7.5 ones are fine and some 7.62 ones run well but not many.
One of the most frustrating experiences known to man.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

When they were bein sold I had two different Century ones butchered to 7.62. One would not feed , one would not extract. Both shot minute of refrigerator at 100.
Too bad , I really wanted one to work.
Such a well made gun I would try it again , in the 7.5 French.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

This is just a suggestion. I had a Samco Spanish Mauser that was ready for the scrap heap. I called around a few local gunsmiths and found one who was willing to take on my project. The gun had a decent chamber and barrel and receiver but had nothing else going for it. I had a bag of parts, most of which were no good. He did a tremendous job bringing it back from being trashed.

So if you really want one this badly I suggest you find a good gunsmith, if you don’t already have one, that is willing to take on your project. There is a lot that can be done for almost any gun that can make it what it was intended to be. Along as it has good bones and you are willing to put a little money into you could bring it back from the dead and have a thing of beauty. JMHO
samnev

Post by samnev »

I've had several 49/56's. I used Graf's brass with CCI 34 primers and shot thousands of rounds thru them without a slam fire. Friend of mine also flatten the firing tip which also helped. Best bet is a firing pin replacement.
Last edited by samnev on January 10th, 2021, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

In the one I had (you know boating accident) the only time I had a slam fire was with the Factory ppu ammo. Never with reloads, or the surplus. Mine shot spot on at rocks in the desert.
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

I would also make sure that the headspace is good before firing it. I almost purchased a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French several years ago but I passed since the rifle swallowed my field gauge. It was such a shame since the rifle was great condition.

Mason Precision will make 7.5 French headspace gauges if you contact the company directly. The cost for these gauges were $50 each (this was about 5 years ago).
SyLynSur

Post by SyLynSur »

i have one... the price was pretty low so I jumped on it. the previous owner said it shot fine and I did shoot a mag and it cycled, maybe i got lucky? maybe some one did some work on her?

so the new gas block position is too far down the pipe? and the gas port is too big? needs to be smaller for less pressure?

this whole story is sad as hell, where do all these bad conversion end up I wonder? maybe they have all been fixed??? orrrr wall hangers?
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Mine is still one that won't work.
I keep it as a lesson to myself.