How to get a value and sell a Mauser 7.65 1914/1934 pistol

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
mock0013
ArizonaShooting.org Member

How to get a value and sell a Mauser 7.65 1914/1934 pistol

Post by mock0013 »

I have a friend that received his Dads Mauser 7.65 with a magazine, in silver with wood grips, it's in excellent condition no holster wear or cuts and it's made in Germany. It doesn't have SS marking on it.

I have been looking around and they seem to go for $690-1200 depending on condition. Where would he get it appraised or who in Phoenix Metro be a good place to consign the gun? Looking for that collector audience. :?: Thanks for the help.

needsmostuff

Re: How to get a value and sell a Mauser 7.65 1914/1934 pistol

Post by needsmostuff »

Actual value, place to consign ,,, I can't help you with that but ,,,, a couple of thoughts that may brace your friend from disappointment.
On the plus side they are beautifully made , nicely machined and they work very well. I have one , I like it but,,,,,.
Kind of chunky looking these pistols are not wildly popular nor glamorous with collectors. I mean James Bond shot Walthers . Often issued to police and guards. 1914 Mausers shot kneeling prisoners. Their main collectability seems to revolve around war time (both wars to end all wars ) use. Issue ,acceptance and unit markings, dateable holsters and second mags are a huge plus.
If I am correct issued guns were never marked "made in Germany" . That was a requirement only when importing to the USA as an export so no military service.
Then there is that you say its "silver" probably nickel plated. It may be possible but I have never seen a 1914/1934 that was factory plated . Not saying its impossible but a good chance it is after the fact.
Value ? Sorry to be Debbi downer but.
Asking prices can be high but I have yet to see one change hands FTF for over $500, and that was an exceptional gun with a documented military/bring back history.
Put it on an auction site and deal with that shenanigans ,MEH , who knows what happens ?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I don't understand why Mauser Pistols are not more popular,... I think they just ooooze QUALITY! 8-)

And as much as this model does so, as well,... I have always had a urge to pick up a
Mauser HSc, but was always put off by the lack of replacement parts, and the inability to handle one, before purchase. Seems like all the pieces available have only been via on line sales.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

And do not forget , If you put it on consignment somewhere the dealer will probably take about 20 to 25 % commission.
If you sell online you will pay a FFL to transfer and ship it.
Not saying good bad or ugly,just things to consider. :think:
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

needsmostuff wrote: April 27th, 2020, 11:00 am And do not forget , If you put it on consignment somewhere the dealer will probably take about 20 to 25 % commission.
If you sell online you will pay a FFL to transfer and ship it.
Not saying good bad or ugly,just things to consider. :think:
Totally agree, but this is not a gun person and not attached. I'm am trying to get him to get estimates from 2-3 shops and the one his ex girlfriend got for him was like 60% commission. If they all suck ass, yeah I'll throw it up on gunbroker for him auction style and have him use SGC to ship it to the other FFL.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I bought a 32 acp mauser 1914-34 about 8-10 years ago for 350 dollars.

Unfortunately its really the WW1 1914 version that brings in some money, unless the 1934 version has a good substantiated story WW2 story with stamps and proof.
They were just issued to police and sundry units as needed. No wide military adoption.

They're neat pistols but they look funky. That really drives people away. The build quality is great and the barrel takedown is neat.

You could probably get 300-600 for her depending on condition and accessories. (looked at completed auctions on gunbroker)

Remember when looking online, ignore the asking prices. look for what's actually getting bids and the completed auction prices.
samnev

Post by samnev »

$300-$500 depending on condition for the 1914.
Last edited by samnev on June 14th, 2020, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have never had much luck selling collectables or high dollar guns locally.
I use gunbroker anytime I want to sell a collectable of high dollar gun.
gunbroker fees are really not that bad. Much better than any FFL will charge.
Just find out what shipping and any FFL fees will be before hand and stipulate in the auction that buyer pays those fees.
Then start the auction at the least price you will take for it.
You might end up re-listing it a time or two but they always sell eventually and gun broker does not charge you if it doesn't sell.