Mauser 98 question ?????

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
needsmostuff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Mauser 98 question ?????

Post by needsmostuff »

Just wondering what interest the collecting field places on a Kar 98A (as opposed to the beloved 98K).
Been looking at one that seems to be a correct one in at least average cond . maybe better than average ,,,,,,,,I don't know ,I never see this model.
Pros ???,,,,Cons ????,,,,,, Value compared to an equal condition 98k ????

Solar_Empire

Re: Mauser 98 question ?????

Post by Solar_Empire »

In my experience they are pretty much on the same footing. The 98A being a WWI/post war piece obviously attracts people interested in the subject. With the centennial of WWI last year the prices spiked but have settled I think. About 1.5 million 98A rifles were made.

No pros or cons really, the 98a took the updated spitzer 8mm. I'm a sucker for stacking swivels and full length handguards so I always liked the 98a vs all the other 98 rifles.

As for the condition, average for one is vastly different than average for others. Pics are always welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Not mine,,,,yet, so no pictures ,,,,,yet.
My hindsight memory freaked out a little as I cannot remember a receiver maker mark .It may have been scrubbed,,,,indicating a second life. I may be confusing another rifle I looked at but I seem to remember a large 202 on the right side of the receiver ????
I did not have a strong interest in it when I looked so I must go visit it and pay better attention.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Well, Did go back and YUP, receiver is scrubbed . Long ago and arsenal reblued after that. Or who knows , maybe made that way ? Gonna be hard to figure out the history on this one. Possible Polish, Possible Spanish Civil War, Possible just about anything else. Did not find ant import marks but did not look real hard.
On the receiver left side is a large (1/2 inch font) 220 ,,,,,rack number ?
Seems the pawn shop has it inventoried by the serial # on the floor plate as there is none on the receiver ?
Condition is probably NRA Good, Price is OK $300, But I think I'm gonna let it age for a while,,,,,If my brain will quit talking about to me.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Picked up a Turked over k98a a lifetime ago it seems from big 5 in Chandler.
Good little plinker that only cost me 79.99 and I still have a partial crate of Turk 7.92 on bandoliers
rbking

Post by rbking »

Usually rack numbers, are on the stock. My WAG, is that the "220", is the serial number. If stamped into the metal of the receiver.

From your description. I wouldn't buy it. Not in that condition. Doesn't have any present or future collectors interest, IMHO. $300 would be way to much, for a beater/truck gun. Check the CDNN web site. If you need a inexpensive BA. They have been selling, a lot of new commercial BA's, at really good prices. Since black rifles, have taken over the marketplace.
felixm24

Post by felixm24 »

I love all my M96 I think there the best ones but I do have a few 98k with all WWII markings