Is C&R collecting effectively dead?

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is C&R collecting effectively dead?

Post by admin »

Most of us remember the days of $59 new SKS's, or M91/30's for $39. In fact, those prices were realistic around a decade ago. Now, SKS's are in the $300-350 range while M91's are around $200-250.

Seems the days of finding surplus rifles from C&R sellers are gone. With few exceptions, it's rare to find them in batches anymore. I suppose it makes sense that this would happen at some point. Will it ever get better? Will we ever get Korean M1 Garands in? Other batches? Will some other "group" of newer firearms reach the "C&R" status and be surplused and made largely available?

GunNut
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Is C&R collecting effectively dead?

Post by GunNut »

While I have enjoyed many buys at the low prices, it is unlikely to find these types t these prices again

Unless people start making a TON more money (to at for the huge price increases - which is not realistic) it certainly does put a damper on the C&R collecting
The only other possible, is the colleting world stops buying thus then a drop in prices will happen if anyone wants to sell

Time will tell, but I for one have cut back buying drastically as I will not buy at inflated (as I deem them) prices

With that said, if one looks hard enough there is a gem now and then to be found
samnev

Post by samnev »

With C&R prices as high as they are and add to that the lack of quality C&'s even at those high prices collecting may not be dead but imo it's circling the drain. I have bought any new C&R's in 8 years.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I am still buying some interesting stuff. Back in the day i had a disdain for Chinese AK's and SKS's. While i did manage to get a couple preban Polys at good prices i never picked up any SKS other than a 79.00 Russian that is just incredible in its condition. So lately i have gotten interested in Chinese SKS rifles. And wow is there a lot to them. I recently found one at a pawn shop in phoenix that was an interesting Factory 316 that i bought. And just last week i pulled the trigger on a Factory 26 with no import marks on GB. Price is not the issue for me, its what i wanted. I think collecting will still go on, it will just change or evolve. I collect Krag Rifles as well, years ago you could get them for 35.00 but that was also a weeks pay to some people. Today i can still buy one for less that a weeks pay, so its all relative. Anyway if anyone has any C&R's there tired of send them my way you never know...
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Several years ago I had a C&R 03 but I dropped it due to lack of interest . When they banned import of C&R stuff years ago they lost their driving force which was "new and different". How much same and same again can you collect ?
Basher

Post by Basher »

I don't think it's dead, just drastically reduced. At today's prices, it is less tempting to just go crazy buying "one of everything."

Heck, I remember buying a pretty nice Enfield No4 Mk2 from AZEX/Derek around 2010-2011 for $200 or so. Nowadays, I'm looking at about $550-600 for a similar rifle. I've seen mummied Enfields go for north of a grand, which is ridiculous! They're fun and accurate rifles, but ammo isn't exactly plentiful for them anymore either. I'll have another eventually, but I won't be buying as many as I once thought I'd have!
Martimus
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Martimus »

I've had my C&R for almost 10 years now and I've yet to find any C&R weapons that tripped my trigger. While there are several still on my bucket list, the pricing for most is well out of my reach.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My C&R collecting has unfortunately due to prices, just turned to: if I find a better version of the C&R rifle I currently have, buy that one, then sell the one I had to subsidize the cost of the new acquisition.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I still occasionally find some interesting finds. I bought a Italian carcano rifle for $125
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

GunNut wrote: May 15th, 2018, 4:57 pm While I have enjoyed many buys at the low prices, it is unlikely to find these types t these prices again

Unless people start making a TON more money (to at for the huge price increases - which is not realistic) it certainly does put a damper on the C&R collecting
The only other possible, is the colleting world stops buying thus then a drop in prices will happen if anyone wants to sell

Time will tell, but I for one have cut back buying drastically as I will not buy at inflated (as I deem them) prices

With that said, if one looks hard enough there is a gem now and then to be found
Its no different than the NFA ! When there is a limited number of items and you have more buyers than you have sellers, prices will rise. Because the price of a C&R gun is $300, doesn't mean somebody won't buy it.

Our problem is we remember the GOOD OLD DAYS ! There a many buyers that don't know about the good old days.
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Prices are up on some stuff $100 from 3-4 years ago... I can't imagine paying 2x more than when something was imported.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I don't know how long i've had the lic. to but can say, my collection as eclectic as it is, is due to the c&r lic.
I still frequent quite a few sites, and wheel and deal, i just picked up a k31 from akron ohio for the paltry sum of 180, plus the ship. it is pristine and has troop tag, and a fella in atlanta is holding a couple units i'm gonna preview on my trip there in a couple weeks, and of course while in the area, gonna hit some of the older dealers known for the old stuff. yeehaw, gonna be a hoot.

of course you know the deal: he who dies with the most wins something, again not sure what that is, but why not try.
Rj
Robidouxs

Post by Robidouxs »

I think it all comes back to prices gradually increasing due to increasingly limited supply. I am seeing the same occur with AK and other gun parts kits; I remember the days of building an AK from a barreled kit was not too expensive. Unless more surplus is imported into the US I only see prices increasing to where it will be only a niche segment of the market which will be interested in them due to the price.
cjr

Post by cjr »

I just sold most of my m1 Garand and m1 carbine collection and I can tell you the C&R collecting is not dead. I have found out there is big market (and money) for top quality items. Many yrs. ago I bought a paratrooper carbine for $400 and my wife was not to happy about it. But after getting more than $5000 for it, she really like that.
Mauser8mm

Post by Mauser8mm »

I have not purchase anything C&R in a few years. I am going to be Trying to get a few hopefully this year. However, the days of cheap or inexpensive guns is gone. But, collecting will continue but will be limited and selectI've to the individual collector.