Is C&R collecting effectively dead?

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
mike400
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Is C&R collecting effectively dead?

Post by mike400 »

I remember in the not so distant past I bought Mosin 91/30's from Century for $25 a piece. As long as I bought 4 or more shipping was included. So I would get 8 or so and weed through the good ones and sell the rest. I miss those days. I have to believe if import restrictions were lifted, we could get much cheaper again. Maybe not $25 but a lot less.

steamer303
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by steamer303 »

"No" not dead, just different. Now that imported supplies are more limited than ever, C&R collecting takes more time and effort. Online auctions sites are one option, as are gun shows and garage sales. Of course each of these options have drawbacks plus supplies continue to be limited, while prices continue to climb. It is more important than ever to do your research and maintain a "buyer beware" mentality before making a purchase.
lew

Post by lew »

If someone in government ever wakes the f*** up and ends the embargo on imported Russian arms, the market would be flooded with their stockpiles of C&R-type firearms. As it stands, the good old days are long gone.
fixerv12

Post by fixerv12 »

All of the surplus guns I've bought have gone up in price. While this is nice and all, I wish I would have had more cash at the time to get more of the nicer examples. Here is hoping import restrictions change for the better in the future! Wouldn't mind getting one of those M1 Garands currently sitting in storage in Korea :)
fixerv12

Post by fixerv12 »

steamer303 wrote: June 16th, 2018, 10:37 pm "No" not dead, just different. Now that imported supplies are more limited than ever, C&R collecting takes more time and effort. Online auctions sites are one option, as are gun shows and garage sales. Of course each of these options have drawbacks plus supplies continue to be limited, while prices continue to climb. It is more important than ever to do your research and maintain a "buyer beware" mentality before making a purchase.
Yup! Surplus market has changed to make way for the more exotic/expensive imports. You definitely need to do your research now to make sure you don't waste money, but I think that is part of the game.

One day I'll have enough cash to pick something up from Kriss USA's new swiss surplus importer Edelweiss Arms. For now I'll just play with my mosins :cry:
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I don’t think it is dead, just on a hiatus. When markets open, countries change trading status, etc. There will be guns coming out of warehouses.
40mike-mike

Post by 40mike-mike »

No, don’t think it dead. Like few others have said Gvmnt AWB restrictions & bans from countries have impacted available cheap imports.
I too remember the 3 SKS bundle for $225 out the door times. My dad used to remind me of pre ‘68 catalog ordering of right to your door. So times change, as do politics & the NEWS provided to people. The 2A bashers have made serious Ingres into our mainstream culture. Some cities have made tight rules for Mom n Pop C&R dealers that a lot of them surrendered their licenses.
Once someone buys an older milsurp, then there is a 2nd & of course a 3rd. The only limits are money in the hobby fund & how each individual manages their collection. Forever the big Q will be do I keep this one too, or sell it for seed money...😂
And BTW, the Arab Spring affected all available milsurp rifles & ammo for the free countries. Sad to say the oil money was plentiful & a lot was bid to turn ships bearing goods towards the Middle East conflicts.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Back in the 60's and 70's there were a lot of imports but collectors were picky and looked down on a lot of the stuff from other than top tier countries. Only certain people collected Turk Mausers etc and then they cherry picked the good stuff. I remember a shop in Buckeye Lake Ohio in the early 90's that had row upon row of Mausers for $79 and barrels full of the crap for some ridiculous price like $39. Few wanted the Egyptian or French or Czec stuff back then.
Now just try and find it in any condition for less then 300-400. I bought my first Russian SKS back in 98 for $200 - sold it a couple years ago for $750
I don't think there are as many young people getting into the hobby, their all being taught anti-views in kollege.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yeah, i'd say its rare if a youngster gets into C&R collecting, it happens but not as often as maybe it could, me thinkgs the games have them in tune to the new shiney, nothing like a lacking bell and whistle unit to outperform one that has way too many parts and adjustments to make it work.

i'm still collecting, the stuff i missed out on, have built a lot from kits, takes time, but still a hoot to build
Rj
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

At the last show in Phoenix I found a Egyptian special bore E.G. Greener shotgun for 100. The bore is in great shape. The metal was in need of a cleaning but the wood was generally ok.
CGSteve

Post by CGSteve »

I'm 35 and keeping it alive. I have many semi autos (FALs, AKs, etc.) but I also have a love affair with the old military guns. Locally though, it is kind of dead. I feel Arizona is a more modern black rifle type of place. Gun shows here in both Phoenix and Tucson are evidence of this. Tons of junk AR parts and rifles, very hard to find decent misurps. The few Mausers and Enfields that you do see are usually in pretty bad shape. Sometimes there will be tables with Garands and 1903s which is good.

When I lived in PA, the gun shows there had many people with G43s, snipers versions of Arisakas, Garands, Johnsons, Winchester 1897 trench guns. Of course those are cost prohibitive, but it was nice to see these uncommon and examples around and appreciated.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

I would have said yes but,,,, I just bought another Mauser yesterday. I did not need or want another Mauser . I do not shoot the Mausers I already have. I justified the purchase by saying I would sell one of my existing Mausers. But now I think I'll keep them all.
Hmmmmmm, sounds like C&R collecting to me.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

the old milsurp guys are dieing off, used to find anything you wanted in regards to parts, and misc. now its rare to come across a parts guy or even full units made back in the day,

some occassionaly can be found, but its tough, one has to dig thru the horsefeathers to go forward.

i sure miss a buncha the old vendors with tables of parts at the shows.
ugh
Rj
Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw »

I wish that the Dept of State would hurry up and authorize the return/re-import of all those pre-86 30 Caliber M-1 and M-2 Carbines that we gave on loan the K-People back in the day.

I'd buy a few once CMP gets them.

Anyone have an update?

B
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

As a prior poster mentioned, I also think the surplus market has been affected by the lack of cheap surplus ammo. While there used to be a bunch of cheap ammo in 8mm, 303 Brit, 7.62x54r, etc its now mostly only the more expensive newly manufactured ammo thats available.

Lack of cheap ammo had caused me to sell off most of my mil-surps but then I'm more of a shooter than any kind of a collector/accumulator. And the current prices on mil-surp rifles have risen dramatically to the point that I'd likely not pay the going prices to buy them again. The whole reason I got into the mil-surps back then was all the interesting yet cheap guns and ammo available. With that all gone its had to have changed up the C&R market.