Best Turkey Choke and Ammo Combo

Discuss shotguns.
jlfornoff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Best Turkey Choke and Ammo Combo

Post by jlfornoff »

okay AZ shooters, i got drawn for my first turkey hunt this year and i'm trying to get my Mossberg 500 setup with a good choke(28 in barrel), as there are a lot of options. i see a lot of Carlson's chokes online and wanted to see if anyone has had experience with them or if there is a better brand to go with... or if it really matters. then i also would like to see what turkey loads are the best for AZ turkey. I'm looking at the Remington Nitro Turkey for the cost but i'm wondering if the Winchester long beard or the Federal 3rd degree would be better even though they cost a bunch more. what is your experience?

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Best Turkey Choke and Ammo Combo

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Disclaimer: I have no experience hunting turkey in AZ. I've never even seen one in AZ. The closest I've ever come is hearing one over the next hill...

But, if I were going about this, I would look up choke reviews on Youtube to see how the different chokes pattern. It may be worth dropping some more money on an expensive choke, or it might make no difference, but you should figure it out either way investigating on Youtube.

If I were going turkey hunting, I wouldn't buy ammo based on cost. Think of all the trouble you're going through for this hunt. You may only get one shot at a turkey, and even if you get more opportunities, you won't get many. I would look at that Federal 3rd Degree. They have a few different shot sizes in the shell, and it was supposed to have advantages for turkey. Again, I'd watch some Youtube videos to see if you buy into it or not.
jlfornoff

Re: Best Turkey Choke and Ammo Combo

Post by jlfornoff »

AZ_Five56 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 10:31 am Disclaimer: I have no experience hunting turkey in AZ. I've never even seen one in AZ. The closest I've ever come is hearing one over the next hill...

But, if I were going about this, I would look up choke reviews on Youtube to see how the different chokes pattern. It may be worth dropping some more money on an expensive choke, or it might make no difference, but you should figure it out either way investigating on Youtube.

If I were going turkey hunting, I wouldn't buy ammo based on cost. Think of all the trouble you're going through for this hunt. You may only get one shot at a turkey, and even if you get more opportunities, you won't get many. I would look at that Federal 3rd Degree. They have a few different shot sizes in the shell, and it was supposed to have advantages for turkey. Again, I'd watch some Youtube videos to see if you buy into it or not.
Thanks! I have watched some videos on YouTube and on the Meateater tv. I was just trying to get personal experience from someone on here if possible as I trust most of the opinions in this forum. Just trying to get info from multiple sources if possible. Plus the only videos I can find are in Michigan, Texas, or Mexico, and mostly spring hunts.