16 gauge ammo

Discuss shotguns.
Tech0552
ArizonaShooting.org Member

16 gauge ammo

Post by Tech0552 »

Does anyone believe that 16 gauge will eventually cease to exist? With the end of 16 gauge gun production I can’t see manufacturers continuing production in the future. I’m currently looking at a couple shotguns all in a 16ga and I’m wondering if it’s still a wise decision. It’s one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Thoughts anyone?

Solar_Empire

Re: 16 gauge ammo

Post by Solar_Empire »

Savage, CZ, and Browning still produce 16 gauge shotguns. 16 gauge has been "dying" for what, 50 years? Maybe not the most popular but ammo will be made for it. There are a lot of 16 gauges still out there as well. I too like the 16 and wish mossberg would swing back around and make a pump but I digress...

If at all worried about ammo, rst shells make a great selection of obsolete shotgun shells.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The only real shortage of 16ga. shells is in buckshot loadings. I can find plenty of #6 or #8 shot ammo if I look for it. Certainly less common, but you even find it at some Walmarts.

However, finding buckshot in 16ga. is even harder. Back before all this current mess, I lucked out at UNAMMO and scored some. I'll check there again next time I'm looking for some. I've occasionally seen a couple boxes on the shelf at Cabelas', but not regularly.

16ga. shotguns can be a real steal for this perceived shortage. My own 16ga. is a double-barrel coach gun I bought for a mere $100 a few years ago at a gun show from a walk-in. It is basically my designated give-away piece to hand off to some cohort or ally who is not only unarmed but mostly untrained. Something nearly anyone understands how to use with a minimal amount of instruction at the moment of emergency.

Historically, there were only 2 buckshot loads ever widely offered in 16ga., and those were 4buck and 0buck. Today, for whatever reason, 4buck seems the most likely of the 2 to be found. But obviously (to me anyway) 0buck is the one you want.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Don't see why it should die. I know a few guys who still have, like and use one.

Killed my first deer with 16ga single shot, with hand loaded rifled Brenneke slugs.

Worked for me. :D
Tech0552

Post by Tech0552 »

Thanks for the reply’s all. I had no idea they still made 16ga guns. Now that I know that, I will look at my options. It is after all my preference when it comes to shotguns.
fredcdobbs

Post by fredcdobbs »

I have three 16 gauge shotguns, I feed them purple Herters from Cabelas
mongo45acp

Post by mongo45acp »

I use a Sweet 16 for duck and geese. If you think it is hard to find regular shells, try to find steel shot. It's a little tough, but Mac's Prairie Wing in Stutgart Ark always has a sufficient stock. Lead and smaller size shot. Mail order, too.

Watch yer 6!
Dave