Multipurpose shotgun help needed

Discuss shotguns.
FullMetalChef
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Multipurpose shotgun help needed

Post by FullMetalChef »

I’m in the market for a shotgun. It’s mainly going to be for sporting clays and trap shooting, but I might try my hand on some bird hunting and then there is the defensive use features. Though my go-to home defense gun is my 10.5” SBR AR15. I’ve owned 870s, 500s and a 590. For defensive use my favorite was the 590, but the barrel is too short for clays. Plenty of shotguns come with 18.5-20” and 28” barrels. But which ones have magazine tubes that can be extended without having to buy a new barrel? Am I better off buying a defensive shotgun and something like an O/U or SxS for clays and hunting?

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Multipurpose shotgun help needed

Post by Suck My Glock »

Most modern shotguns of American manufacture can have tube extensions threaded on in place of the end cap. I know I had that option on an old Winchester 1300XTR I used to own. It was a 5-shot tube, but 2-round and up to 4-round extensions were available back in the day. Same for Remington 870s.

But I'm not sure if anyone bothers making them now. The import shotguns are so cheap, and the American guns come in so many tactical models now,...it just isn't as sought after a modification as it once was. Not as necessary. If you hunt for them, I'm sure the extensions can be found on Gunbroker and other places, but it might take some time.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I always like to think more is better, and I would buy both. There are Mossberg options that come with more than one barrel, one for home defense and a longer barrel for sport shooting.

I would go with something like that if it were me, it is really easy to change barrels on them, they are not terribly expensive, and they do the job.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

For an all around good shotgun my first choice would be a Remington 870.
Not the express model. Remington went down hill when they started making the express.
A Wingmaster would be an excellent choice.
mallic

Post by mallic »

Mossberg Flex or 500 field home combo is this southpaws recommendation.
FullMetalChef

Post by FullMetalChef »

I guess the other issue I have with one of the combo options is for my defensive shotguns, I like Speedfeed stocks with grips or Magpul. I like to mount a side saddle to it and I know those kinds of things are necessary and are sometimes looked down upon with the skeet/trap/clay groups.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I might be reading this wrong so correct me if needed.

You want to run home defense with a barrel fit for clays? You mentioned “not buying another barrel”

I’d be hard pressed to clear rooms with my clay gun, could it work sure….but then what’s the point of the spread?

IMO get a proper clay gun and shoot all your neighbors with pass through 5.56 in the very unlikely home invasion event.

I’m running 308 battle rifle for my pretend home invasion scenarios and my clay shooting has never suffered.

Why? Because I live in an HOA and hate ALL my
Neighbors and it’s their kids that are prob going to rob me anyway.
FullMetalChef

Post by FullMetalChef »

DevilDocAZ wrote: March 16th, 2022, 7:30 pm I might be reading this wrong so correct me if needed.

You want to run home defense with a barrel fit for clays? You mentioned “not buying another barrel”
You didn’t exactly read it wrong, I may have just explained it wrong. I had an older 870 and it had an attached magazine cap/mount on the barrel, could not get it removed and I would’ve had to buy a new barrel if I wanted an magazine extension. The 500s I’ve owned the 590 just had rings on the barrel for the cap and the cap was totally removable and easy to add an extension.

So basically I just want to avoid getting one of the models that may come with 2 barrels but want to make sure I get one that the magazine cap doesn’t mount to the barrel at all, or uses the rings that magazine extension passes through. Hopefully that makes sense.
mallic

Post by mallic »

If you want a cheapish semi-auto, a mossberg 930/940 allows tubes pretty easily. And the jm pro models are 22 or 24 inch. The 22 is short enough for home defense with some though. Is long enough to do trap/skeet at most ranges.
Doc

Post by Doc »

FullMetalChef wrote: March 16th, 2022, 9:46 pm
DevilDocAZ wrote: March 16th, 2022, 7:30 pm I might be reading this wrong so correct me if needed.

You didn’t exactly read it wrong, I may have just explained it wrong. I had an older 870 and it had an attached magazine cap/mount on the barrel, could not get it removed and I would’ve had to buy a new barrel if I wanted an magazine extension. The 500s I’ve owned the 590 just had rings on the barrel for the cap and the cap was totally removable and easy to add an extension.

So basically I just want to avoid getting one of the models that may come with 2 barrels but want to make sure I get one that the magazine cap doesn’t mount to the barrel at all, or uses the rings that magazine extension passes through. Hopefully that makes sense.
Okay. I think I understand

I don’t have a lot of experience w the older 870’s but the newer stuff will have a removable cap on the end of the magazine tube. Removing that allows for the removal the barrel.

I found this online. I’m not associated and I’m not a customer. But the schematics may be of interest.

I hope it’s useful to you.

https://www.cutemdownwaterfowl.com/prod ... nsion-kit/
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

Try this: "Home Invasion"-- Mossberg 590 with speed feed stock, or Turkish made 18.5 barreled for $200. Accessorize as needed/want.

Hunting/clays-- 1980s Remington 870 Wing master in 12 gauge... magazine cap is separate from barrel. Plenty out there for reasonable money.

Now you have what you're looking for.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Drmark wrote: March 17th, 2022, 1:49 am Try this: "Home Invasion"-- Mossberg 590 with speed feed stock, or Turkish made 18.5 barreled for $200. Accessorize as needed/want.

Hunting/clays-- 1980s Remington 870 Wing master in 12 gauge... magazine cap is separate from barrel. Plenty out there for reasonable money.

Now you have what you're looking for.
I like it.

Two is one, one is none
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

IMHO - I'd not try to "blend" these guns. If you want to shoot clays and birds - buy a gun for that purpose. If things are super tight financially and you can only have one gun - well - a 12 gauge bird gun by the nightstand is still a 12 gauge - and you aren't going to be using it as a member of a tactical team clearing a building - so in the unlikely event that you are pointing it at a home invader it will be a reasonable tool for that purpose too.

On the other hand, a 590 tactical is going to be a really crappy tool for bird hunting (although I did shoot hand flung clays with it once - it was still fun)...