Remington 870 DM with detachable box magazine

Discuss shotguns.
AZ1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Remington 870 DM with detachable box magazine

Post by AZ1 »

Anyone tried one? I think one with a short barrel and pistol brace would be handy. Two things that make me lose interest in these are the recent Remington quality issues and the $34 price tag on the 6 round magazines.

QuietM4

Re: Remington 870 DM with detachable box magazine

Post by QuietM4 »

Marketing based on novelty. If you think you need a quick change magazine for your home defense shotgun because you may need 34 rounds to protect yourself, 1. you suck at shooting, 2. you don't live in a John Woo movie, and 3. you are going to be spending a lot of time patching drywall.

Pass.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

QuietM4 wrote: July 15th, 2018, 12:49 pm Marketing based on novelty. If you think you need a quick change magazine for your home defense shotgun because you may need 34 rounds to protect yourself, 1. you suck at shooting, 2. you don't live in a John Woo movie, and 3. you are going to be spending a lot of time patching drywall.

Pass.
Who hurt you? :lol:

I guess we should all stick with 5 shot 38s. BTW home defense was never mentioned as a need or desire for this product.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Remington hurt me. The marketing for that shotgun is geared towards home defense.

If you just want to shoot old TVs in the desert, by all means have fun with an over priced pump action shotgun that takes magazines.
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

All these gimmicky things piss me off.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

What makes it gimmicky? The pistol brace, the short barrel, or the magazine?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

:lol: Yah, I kind'a, hav'ta, go along with, if six shotgun rounds don't make it for ya, in your own home territory, I doubt you will be able to load another mag. :lol:

:lol: Of course, I don't know just how many enemies some guys have made, so, more may be better. :lol:

:lol: I love these fantasy defense scenario posts. :lol:
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

With practice it is possible to keep a shotgun stoked from a pocket full of shells much easier than trying to carry around a couple mags.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 11:47 pm With practice it is possible to keep a shotgun stoked from a pocket full of shells much easier than trying to carry around a couple mags.
Couldn't agree more, love the way you think!

I have always considered my lever action Marlin444 as the ultimate brush, s*** & git shoot and move, from one place of cover to another, piece to carry.

With a bandolier of fifty Marlin444 230 grain lead and a belt pouch with another hundred, ready to go, fed as they are used, never an empty mag tube and never needing to stop and refill an empty detachable mag, I can't think of a more lighter, more efficient, more reliable system, for me!

This is my "KISS system". :think:
Jsgunrepair

Post by Jsgunrepair »

I don't know how well it would work in the "shockwave" configuration, and the couple I have fondled at the LGS have *very* sticky mags (might loosen up after cleaning the factory preservatives off).

That being said, I would think it would be a fun range 'toy' as a registered SBS.

Knock the barrel down to 9"-10", run a shortened vertical fore grip (like the Black Aces "firearm" fore end, or like one on a Surbu super shorty) and a pistol grip stock like a speedfeed II.... Short, light, and quick to handle but with out the pathetic 2+1 capacity of the Serbu.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I own a registered SBS 870, and a Mossberg Shockwave, and a Remington Tac-13. My only complaint with them is the limited ammunition capacity.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Az1,
Yeah i have used one. Not in the configuration you refer to though. It functioned as you would expect an 870 to and actually could be a nice option to have 1 mag with buck, 1 mag with slug depending on your need. I shot it in a 3 gun situatuon and it was handy to easily change shell selection, similar to the ksg i have... enough shells to have a party and the diet of my choice.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

I have played with them as well as the Mossberg 590M. The Mossberg mags are way better than the remington. But are heavy as hell. A couple observations in my opinion. They can be finicky. Every one I have shot have had shells hang up a bit when cycling. Mossberg and Remington. Enough to where I decided I couldn't trust them. I love the idea, but practically they just don't work. Extended mag tube and side saddle of your choice, I prefer using velcro shotgun cards, is the way to go. I also do believe the possibility that long term storage in a vertical mag tube can deform plastic hulls to the point they may not chamber easily.
bill460

Post by bill460 »

A box magazine on a pump shotgun is a solution to a non existent problem. I get the novelty and cool factor aspect of it. And if that's what gives you wood about the whole thing, that's fine. To each his own. But I hate when people start trying to justify it as it being necessary, or worse practical. As was said, if you need more than 8 rounds of buckshot or slugs to get you out of a bad situation.... You lost.

That said, if you won't be able to sleep at night unless you have one, the Mossberg version is a bit more desirable. Because they took the whole concept, and went full mall ninja with it. They offer magazine capacity up to 15 rounds. The plastic 15 round magazines are ridiculously over priced at $105.00 each. (Even the 5 round models are $74.00). But the 15 round models are also sold out at that price, so the ninja's are obviously all standing in line to buy them.

This was a good solid marketing, and money making decision by Mossberg..... But so was the Pet Rock.

https://www.mossberg.com/store/590m-mag ... 95140.html
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

QuietM4 wrote: July 15th, 2018, 12:49 pm Marketing based on novelty. If you think you need a quick change magazine for your home defense shotgun because you may need 34 rounds to protect yourself, 1. you suck at shooting, 2. you don't live in a John Woo movie, and 3. you are going to be spending a lot of time patching drywall.

Pass.
You realize the groups you are practically quoting right? :lol:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, why does it have to have a specific use, and whats wrong with a larger magazine, buncha gun snobs, you either can't afford one, or don't think you can handle one, or you;'re skeered. hehehe, sarcasm for you slow ones
Rj