good Ol pump .. proved my beliefs

Discuss shotguns.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

good Ol pump .. proved my beliefs

Post by Boriqua »

The very first gun I ever purchased legally was a Remington 870 Wingmaster with 3" chamber. Must have been about 21, 22 years old. Didnt know squat from guns but you could buy one on Long Island over the counter and .. well it was pretty.

Went out a few times to a range out in what was no where long island called Calverton range. I was surprised to see it was still around
http://calvertonshootingrange.com/

Back then there was no tables, no nothing. There were no people out there yet really and the area hadnt really been developed yet as it was pretty far from the city. It was a DRIVE and when you got there there was a crusty, not happy old dude puffing on a cigarette in a dilapidated tiny wooden shack and you paid him and basically walked out into an open field. It was a lot like shooting in the desert except you had to pay.

Fast forward and I have moved 10 times and I would never sell that shot gun but it didnt see any use outside a few times after I bought it.

About 10 or 12 years ago I guess I went out on an AZS shoot to casa grande and brought it out. Blasted the hell out of it killing evil milk jugs and spilling their contents of colored water all over the ground.

Came home and stood it next to the bed. So mind you .. in 36 years.. It maybe saw a swab down the barrel once or twice.

So went out with a board member this Wednesday and we decided it would be Shotgun and revolver day.

Took a look at my shotgun that had been sitting in the corner and it was covered in a layer of dust. I kind of wiped it off and off I went.

Loaded her up and .. Bang Chick, Bang Chick, Bang chick. Shot about 20 rounds of 00 at various targets. Worked as if I bought it yesterday!

So I determined the stock was way to long for me and have the bruise on my upper bicep to show for it . Bought a youth stock on Was 21's suggestion and got to try a shotgun he had hooked up with a shorter stock. While putting it on I took a look in the receiver and at the various parts and had old crusty Grease/oil ?? Guess it was the same grease oil stuff from when I bought it.I dont know .. yellow pasty stuff. There was still a heavy layer of dust in there as well. The forend tube was just gunk and generally .. however it was when I got it some 36 years ago was how it was except for a shorter barrel I put on it sometime along the way. Yet .. it cycled pumped and ran at medium speed with out a single issue.

Yea .. I think those semi autos are cool as sh*t but .. I will keep my old a$$ pump until they bury me. Might ask for it to be put in the box .. Hear the River Styx can get feisty. :mrgreen:

Doc

Re: good Ol pump .. proved my beliefs

Post by Doc »

If it ain’t broken…..
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

I think when Boriqua goes to the happy hunting grounds in the sky, the gun goes with him 🥸
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

xerts1911 wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:25 am I think when Boriqua goes to the happy hunting grounds in the sky, the gun goes with him 🥸
absolutely!! My wife can go ahead and let her new boy toy play with my guns but the Remington comes with me!
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:43 am
xerts1911 wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:25 am I think when Boriqua goes to the happy hunting grounds in the sky, the gun goes with him 🥸
absolutely!! My wife can go ahead and let her new boy toy play with my guns but the Remington comes with me!
Should I mention it to her the next time I'm over?

Psst..BTW Alex will need his shotgun in the after life. He would appreciate it if you put it in the box with him. :D
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have several Wingmasters.
They are my favorite pump shotgun.
One of them was made in 1950 and still shoots just fine.

Remington went down hill when they came out with the Express.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

I still have my trusty old Wingmaster Magnum with super long ribbed barrel. Bought early 80's or so.

Took off the beautiful furniture and long barrely, stored away. now just have tacticool black plastic, short barrel with night sights, etc. The heart is still gold though.

Was shocked the first time I cycled a Mossberg 500 and how ratchety it was compared to the silky 870 action. Never parting with this jewel.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

The Mossberg is a decent utilitarian shotgun , but is not even in the same class as a Wingmaster.
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

My first gun also was a shotgun... I considered getting an "870" but settled on a 12ga Browning BPS because it was so similar to my Dad's Ithaca 20ga... I got it with a fixed Modified choke... I later acquired a barrel with the interchangeable chokes... I don't know how many clay targets, dove, quail, rabbits etc. have fallen to my trusty BPS... I have a number of other shotguns but the BPS is my favorite...
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

XJThrottle wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:58 am Psst..BTW Mark will need his shotgun and service pistol in the after life. He would appreciate it if you put them in the box with him. :D
I wonder if there would be any legal issues with that?

I would TOTALLY want to be buried with my sidearm and a shotgun! :dance:
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

cool arrow wrote: November 13th, 2021, 8:52 am
XJThrottle wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:58 am Psst..BTW Mark will need his shotgun and service pistol in the after life. He would appreciate it if you put them in the box with him. :D
I wonder if there would be any legal issues with that?

I would TOTALLY want to be buried with my sidearm and a shotgun! :dance:
Can't see how it would be illegal. I'd imagine a good chunk of someone's valuables get buried with them all the time.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

I have a Winchester 1200 I bought from Smittys back in 75.
The fellow that sold it to me was a classmate, we were both seniors in HS.
We went dove and quail hunting together a few times.
Still have it.
Buckshot Bill

Post by Buckshot Bill »

Wow, Smitty's!! There's a name that brings back great memories. I spent a lot of time looking thru their sporting goods dept. on E. Mcdowell road in snottsdale while on a grocery run! Truly one stop shopping.

BB