Marlin 1898

Discuss shotguns.
Bowhunter-tw
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Marlin 1898

Post by Bowhunter-tw »

I have a Marlin 1898 pump shotgun that I have read cannot be fired with current shells. Has anyone heard anything like this? What is the actual flaw that does makes it un safe?

Brlux
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Marlin 1898

Post by Brlux »

Is it something to do with the forcing cone? I once had an old french 12 gauge shotgun that was a Vietnam war bring back. It had an excessively short chamber and would not work with modern shells. If memory severs correctly 2.75" shells would just barely not seat all the way in the chamber and would get stuck to the point they were very difficult to extract. I considered getting a chamber reamer to make it fit modern shells but ended up selling it to a collector.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I researched this for a friend of mine who had one given to him for free. I figured it might make for a handy cowboy action gun, considering the date of manufacture. But these earned the nickname "Widow-maker" because of a flaw/weakness in the way the bolt locks. If like new and unfired from the day it was made,...there is probably nothing wrong and it would be safe to shoot with low power shells. But if the lock up is worn, it may not show or be obvious, and could let go.

Basically,...anyone who knows about these never shoot them, and they are truly just wall-hanger conversation pieces.
Howlin Mad

Post by Howlin Mad »

+1 to SMG.

SASS banned them over 20 years ago due to potential safety issues, and Marlin even put out a notice that none of them are safe to fire at all.

Here's a link to a SASS shooters site with safety and disassembly info.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin98s.htm
Bowhunter-tw

Post by Bowhunter-tw »

Turns out its a model 21. I was told it was an 1898 and didnt bother looking over it more carefully until today. Still an old gun, made between 1907-1908
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Get on marlinowners.org and ask them