How often do you replace your extended mag tube spring?

Discuss shotguns.
fell
ArizonaShooting.org Member

How often do you replace your extended mag tube spring?

Post by fell »

My M1 Super90 Tactical kinda gathers dust forlornly at the back of the safe, but with the pending Chinese/Russian invasion and/or boogaloo forthcoming, I would like it to WORK when called upon.

Because the shotgun is NOT my strong suit of experience, the notion of the mag tube spring wearing out after years under load was "news" to me. That's actually the exact opposite of how a pistol or rifle mag spring responds.

When I acquired it in 2008, the first thing I did was put an extended tube on it, with the new longer spring as well. And other than a range trip shortly thereafter for a function check, the only time I've really fondled it since, was in putting a Surefire lighted forend on it a couple of years ago. It's sat loaded almost that entire time.

I have a couple of new springs on the way from Midwest Gun Works, since it appears to be the weak link in the system, as it were. ALSO better to get 'em now, before SlowJoe & BlowHo decide to use 'em for slinkys or some such.

What is the opinion of the brain trust on extended mag tube springs wearing out under load? Any experience here with such a thing? Any recommendations on the time interval to change out such springs? 10 years? 20 years? 3 years? All insight is appreciated!

QuietM4

Re: How often do you replace your extended mag tube spring?

Post by QuietM4 »

I usually replace springs when they stop working. Having a backup(s) is a good idea. They only time I have actually needed to replace a spring was in my Glock 34 that I used for competition; the main recoil spring lasted about 7,000 rounds before I noticed any change. I did break a ZEV trigger return spring also in the same gun after about 2,000 rounds...I think it was just a bad spring, it never happened again after many thousands more rounds.

Springs can and do wear out; that is a fact of mechanical and materials engineering. Springs are rated for a certain number of cycles, compression and decompression. It's generally in the tens of thousands range.

I've had several Magpul Gen1 mags fully loaded for the past 8 years to test this exact hypothesis for myself. Not because I think it will fail; I'm just curious and like to test stuff.

The last magazine I tested has been loaded for 6 years (I've got two fully loaded mags left to test). I ran the mag through a friends Colt M16, full auto. Not a single malfunction, ran like a champ. I still use that mag in my normal rotation.

I have a calendar reminder set every March 1st that reminds me it is time to test another mag...I have no doubt the remaining two magazines will function perfectly.

The mag tube spring might have a day it will not work, but I doubt it will be in your lifetime. But, it doesn't hurt to change it if it makes you feel better. I change all the batteries in my Aimpoint optics anually, but they certainly don't need it. It just makes me feel better.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Not terribly often. Those springs take a long time to wear out normally. I put a fresh one in my early 70's Rem1100 when I got it just as insurance, pretty sure it was the original one. It ran fine with the old one, but the spring was only a few bucks and I was taking it down already anyways.
Shotmaker

Post by Shotmaker »

This is a good thread on the topic:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/threa ... me.141662/