Ported 10mm? Moving to Alaska!

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Homestead defence
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ported 10mm? Moving to Alaska!

Post by Homestead defence »

We have plans to move to Alaska in the spring.
Does porting the barrel on a 10mm loose it's velocity enough to make a difference?
I have a hard time with shooting my 1911 45acp because of neuropathy from a lifetime of installing commercial vinyl floorcovering. A 44mag is out of the question and I am seriously looking at a 10mm for the move to Alaska.
Anyone with experience on a ported 10mm Glock 40 or any full size 10mm pistol that is ported?
I have opinions and that is it, no experience at all with any ported barreled pistols.

AZDESERTRAT

Re: Ported 10mm? Moving to Alaska!

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I don’t think an extended ported barrel would reduce velocity as the working length of the barrel is the same as stock, just extended out with some ports, like these.
https://barsto.com/product/glock-20-10 ... ed-ported/
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Not sure this is at all helpful or what you are looking for but I have had 2 ported handguns.
A S&W 586 L comp and a Springfield V10 in 40S&W

I have shot loads and loads of both .357 and 40 S&W over the years but couldnt tell you that the porting made a lick of difference. I bought them simply for the Gee whiz factor and then found porting to be a distraction with its flash, noise and in the case of the v10 its propensity to kick out debris at the people on either side of me.

Sounds like you will be shooting mostly outdoors so none of those things may apply but .. I dont know that I could tell any difference in recoil in any way at all.

Now in 10mm I had the Glock 20, the Springfield XDM, the Rock island MS ultra and the Ruger Gp100 match.

What really made the difference "for me" in regards to comfort, shooting well and quickly was platform. For me ...hands down the rocky was the easiest Semi auto and most enjoyable to shoot.

Doesnt hold 80 rounds like the other guys and it might be a bit more heavy but I could shoot that guy all day. I imagine the full size might be even more comfortable. Its still cheap enough that you could send it off to one of the porting houses and have it done if you feel the need.

The Ruger .. well .. You can literally shoot until your bored. The gun was AWESOME at shooting 10mm and was the most comfortable of the lot and you could make a ragged hole without to much thought.

The Ruger was number 1 in control, accuracy and comfort and the Rocky a very close second in enjoy ability with out getting beat up but the Rocky wasn't near as comfortable as the revolver.

Ultimately I hated the moon clips.

If you reload ...and you like revolver .. I still might consider the 44 mag. Were I on the search again for heavy fire power I would either go look at the Rocky again or go 44 and load up or down to my needs. Its nice to be able to load up some 44 special to 45 acp specs and have a do it all revolver. I would say it was easier to shoot my 629 well naturally than the Springfield or glock. Wasnt a fan of plastic 10mm but given the 2 the Springfield beats the glock every day.

My only problem is 44 mag revolvers have gone through the roof on pricing.

I dont think porting is really going to get you where you want but a heavier heftier gun should.

Of course ... these are just my opinions and worth what anyone paid for them!! :)
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

If 10mm is what you want, I'd try to find a Glock 20C.
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

I have experience with the excellent Underwood loads, which come close or even exceed the original 10mm loads. I wouldn't use anything less than those if I were counting on them to stop a bear. I've shot them in my Glock 20 and a factory ported Glock 20, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference. That gun has some serious muzzle whip with a proper 10mm load and if a 45 is not manageable for you the 10 won't be either. Maybe a short 12 gauge with slugs, or a short Marlin 45/70 would be a better choice? Not as compact of course, but better than an ineffective handgun round.
Homestead defence

Post by Homestead defence »

Thanks Guys!! I will be using the 10mm for my carry in Alaska and most likely a chest rig while out in the woods.
I have been looking at the RIA 16+1 double stack and maybe the 6" long slide thanks to youtube vids. Big, heavy and I love 1911s.
Been trying to call and talk to someone at SGC and could not get through to a human? Would really like to shoot a few before I purchase.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

Porting only degrades velocity a tiny bit. Maybe equivalent to 1/2 inch of barrel. The real concern to me is how freaking LOUD they are.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

nvgdude wrote: October 16th, 2020, 1:28 pm Porting only degrades velocity a tiny bit. Maybe equivalent to 1/2 inch of barrel. The real concern to me is how freaking LOUD they are.
Yeah, and if you shoot them from retention/compressed, you can start your beard on fire :laughing-rofl:
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

The op could also consider a Gas operated pistol with some weight for reduced recoil looking at a more powerful round. You get no velocity loss with a gas system. I had revolver non-gas and a semi w/gas system in 44mag, hands down I could shoot the semi almost all day and not be fatigued. As far as the revolver, after 2 reloads of the cylinder, the gun & my hands would be bloody. The Revolver was a Ruger Red Hawk (7" barrel) and the semi is a Desert Eagle w/6" barrel.

I'm currently running AA7 @ 18gr (a medium/hot load) at over 1500 FPS. A hot load can be upwards of 1700 FPS. Lots of stopping power with minim recoil as compared to any other pistol. Its heavy and does cost more than the average Glock by a bunch, but benefits out weigh the cost. I would take it as a bear stopper any time over 10mm.
oldmanpaintball

Post by oldmanpaintball »

460 rowland kit for glock
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

If a 45 causes you problems, a 10mm is no where near the right answer for you then. Sorry, but I own both and the 10mm is way more of an issue, even ported, than a 45 will ever be. Unless you're shooting low power (essentially 40 cal longs), the snap and buck of a 10mm is far more pronounced. If you decide to go with the low power 10mm, you might as well get a 40 and be done with it. Neither of which is going to do anything other than piss off a bear. Keep in mind that, especially in colder weather, the problem is that a bear's heart beats really slowly so you're going to be in his gut before he bleeds out. So unless you get a head or heart shot, it's a bad day for you. That's why the .44, .454, 500 S&W, and to a lesser extent the .357 mags are what you see people carry in bear country. And, well, moose as well. Having spent some time in AK, albeit not an overly long time, I found your odds of coming into contact with a moose far outweighs your odds of the same with a bear. And man you don't want to be around a cow if she has a calf. Again, I'm not sure anything other than a full power 10mm will do much to discourage Bullwinkle from stomping a mud hole in you.
I'd look into either a Magna-ported .41 or.357 mag with some seriously stout loads. You could also have Gemini Customs Hybraport a 10mm revolver (GP100 in 10mm) and see if that works. Short of those, I agree that maybe Deagle in 44 mag is your best bet. I've fired some heavy handloads out of the Deagle and it felt more like a .38. Only downside is that it's a damn heavy pistol and if you're doing some long distance hiking or backcountry camping that thing will get heavy quickly.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

If you can shoot revolver ... That ruger 4 in 10mm was the easiest to shot well of the 4 10mm handguns I owned. Even shooting the underwood stuff.

You could throw some cheap hogue rubber on it and your good. Of course you do only get the 6 tries though.

But Pscipio03 is right. If 45 is giving you trouble you may hate 10mm in semi auto. Where a 45 pushes the 10mm snaps hard and fast.

Maybe it was just me but I found the 10mm 180 XTP from underwood out of the ruger was easier to shoot than a hot 357.

I'm lucky... My wife is a good 7 years my senior and I can run a lot faster than she can.

Bear strategy in place! :)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Be aware that when you move to Alaska, your handguns can't go up the Highway through Canada, so they'll have to be shipped up there through a FFL down here.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

Try to buy some 10mm ammo and then go to SCG to rent a 10mm for $15. Yeah i don't think any gun store answers phones right now when they are selling everything in the store. 10mm is going to kick more than .45ACP as others said. It's basically .41 Mag. The Desert Eagle suggestions are sold now they make alum frames for them that are ported. So you could do .44 mag Desert Eagle, just clean gas ports regularly
Bear6462

Post by Bear6462 »

I am in no way an authority on this, but I've often thought that if I were moving to Alaska, I'd purchase a short barrel S&W 500. It is my understanding that it was created for the Alaska bears and based on how it shooting it makes your wrists feel when you're done, I have no doubt it would have enough stopping power for whatever you encounter up there.