New G48 MOS

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
LongRangEnthusiast
New to ArizonaShooting.org

New G48 MOS

Post by LongRangEnthusiast »

I'm looking at the new MOS version of this pistol (G48) and while I was admittedly excited about it, I can't help but feel like the size difference of a G19 is going to be rather marginal after putting the new mini RMR and whatever new WML offering becomes available on it. That said, I still might take the plunge.
Anyone else conflicted about this?

Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New G48 MOS

Post by Basher »

AZ1182 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 10:22 pm So none of my lights would work with this? Big time fail on Glock's part, a bunch of us like the fact that we can use the same lights on our other guns and not having to buy proprietary lights. HK learned that lesson the hard way.
You wanna try to explain to me how a physically thinner frame is supposed to support lights that only fit the original width Glock frames? And if the idea is to have a thinner firearm for easier carry, why would I want to put a fat X300 on there with it’s side by side dual CR123 cells? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose?

I’m not sure how you thought any of that was supposed to work, but... :think:

I’m not a fan of the MOS system, as I find it introduces additional failure points that are done away with direct alide mounting. Yes, you have to mill the slide. But doing so gains you a significant increase in mounting strength, IMO.

Unlike AZ, color me interested for the sake of a light rail, and bring on the 500lumen single cell X-Whatever that Surefire brings out for it. But I’d rather a regular G48 slide, so I may be playing mix master with these when I can afford to.
Last edited by Basher on September 6th, 2020, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basher

Post by Basher »

At least I’m educated enough to know that a 0.16” difference in width means your favorite light isn’t going to work unless you WECSOG the hell out of it w/ JB Weld, genius... :lol:
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Legit question regarding frame width and light interchangeability. Wouldnt that defeat the purpose? Thus the nice smaller lights for the smaller guns. Different purpose different light.

Wont even get into my disdain for weapon mounted lights and people thinking their gun is no longer a gun but a flashlight they can point at what ever they wish.

Still I agree the lights meant for duty weapons would be pretty stoopid looking and purpose defeating if attached to the small single stacks.

ETA I appologise in advance to the group for the s*** storm that comes with daring to question this guy. I didnt look at the name till the comment posted and I then realized who it was from the full on narcissistic behavior from announcing another addition to his list. I'm not going to delete it just to avoid him.

This whole exercise of avoidance is pretty stupid. But sorry anyways
Basher

Post by Basher »

Crippledtrigger wrote: September 7th, 2020, 3:01 am Legit question regarding frame width and light interchangeability. Wouldnt that defeat the purpose? Thus the nice smaller lights for the smaller guns. Different purpose different light.

Wont even get into my disdain for weapon mounted lights and people thinking their gun is no longer a gun but a flashlight they can point at what ever they wish.

Still I agree the lights meant for duty weapons would be pretty stoopid looking and purpose defeating if attached to the small single stacks.

ETA I appologise in advance to the group for the s*** storm that comes with daring to question this guy. I didnt look at the name till the comment posted and I then realized who it was from the full on narcissistic behavior from announcing another addition to his list. I'm not going to delete it just to avoid him.

This whole exercise of avoidance is pretty stupid. But sorry anyways
Ideally, you want as much light as you can get, but a smaller single-cell light won’t be nearly as bright as a two cell such as the X300 or TLR-1. However, the whole point of a G48 or G43/43X is to cut the width. While 0.16” doesn’t seem like much, I find it to be quite noticeable both in how easy it is to carry and conceal as well as how well it fits the hand in comparison to a standard Glock frame.

I fully agree that using a weapon mounted light (or WML) like a regular light is entirely irresponsible. You need a handheld for everyday and administrative tasks. But having a light on the gun means if I actually NEED the gun, I can have both hands working the gun and thus have better recoil control and accuracy compared to the usual crossover light method. IDing the target and then taking a shot is quicker and easier with a WML, and I don’t have to gain access to two items under duress. So knowing how to use these tools is just as important as any other tool.

If they can put out a 500lm light with good candela to fit these new slim frame options, I’m down. The TLR-6 and similar, while better than nothing at all, were pretty poor performers and not very easy to use. A light a hair wider than the frame is obviously required in order to clamp onto the rail, and I’d give up a little more for actual rocker switches and not those awfully, tiny buttons the TLR-6 had, but yes, an X300 using some kind of adapter on a slim frame Glock would be stupid and defeat the purpose of the thinner handgun in the first place.
Basher

Post by Basher »

AZ1182 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:47 pmI have never understood our community's willingness to go to insults so quickly over absolutely nothing, only the very weakest persons in mindset do such toxic things.

Another twit on ignore with the foe feature.
As for this guy, it’s clear my playful yet well-deserved jab for making an illogical statement about light interchangeability went over his head and was thus not well received, LOL. If somebody digs in that deep to backup a stupid statement, I can be a little harsh in pointing out the holes in their thinking. My apologies for poking the bear, but come on. Did he REALLY think people who consciously chose to carry a thinner firearm would get all butthurt because their light designed for obviously thicker rails didn’t fit their slim frame Glock?? :lol: Oh well, one more thin-skinned individual I won’t have to tolerate if I’m on their ignore list!

Sorry OP, back to the topic at hand!
LongRangEnthusiast

Post by LongRangEnthusiast »

I assumed a bit of controversy might arise from the topic, but I can appreciate people challenging each others' thoughts.
I think dots and WMLs offer significant benefits to any pistol, but for the sake of concealment, there's always the trade-off of size.
It always breaks down to proficiency, and if you're proficient shooting with a hand-held light and iron sights, that's what matters.
Dots and WMLs give me a lot more confidence in my ability to acquire my sights at night, so that's what makes this a tempting prospect.
That said, I'll wait til I put hands on one to make the call. While SureFire and Trijicon both enjoy stellar reputations in the industry, these are still new products (however similar to existing products) and they have yet to be put through the paces.
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

It’s too bad that Glock is years behind this train of slim lines and optics and stuff..I waited my whole life and then sw and sig came up with my best Slim carry guns..I applaud the effort Glock is putting in but there is so much better stuff out in these times...I’ll buy one and try it out, shoot I might even love it but just like anything else new everyone will want top dollar for it..I’ll wait but not to long to try it out..
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

I love Glock, but God the way they "release" new pistols is so stupid.

The silver slide for the G48 was gross. They then offer black slide a couple months later. Then they add a rail a couple months later. It should've been there to begin with. Same with how the Gen5 19 had no front serrations, but then they add it to the MOS and then the G45 later lol.

I still love my 19, but if I could change anything about Glock as a company, it would be their mindset when releasing a new pistol...and also firing whoever is responsible for the G44
Basher

Post by Basher »

^This guy. Nail on the head.

I really like my G48, but the fact that it didn’t have a rail at the start is frustrating. Same with the neutered 10rnd mag. Yes, it works great, but it took Shield Arms to bring out it’s full potential with a 15rnd mag (I’m still giving them time to prove themselves, but the idea is sound).

And I’ve owned numerous Glocks. My two tone G48 is the first to show signs of rust from carry. All the ither Gen3 and Gen4 models I’ve owned have all been HIGHLY resistant to carry wear and rust. But my G48 has it in several places, from carry in a kydex holster. Rear edge of the slide, front edges, on the barrel where the muzzle meets the slide. Guess I’ll be getting is Cerakoted when I get it milled for an RDS... :roll: